Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9856
?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1847
We had that news also, then his doctor is saying Patrick is responding well to treatment.

You can always trust the 'News'.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4790
The end of hi-rez as we know it

Good old Arnold! This could have been posted in late 1950s, with the microgroove vinyl LP played on turntables that no longer span at 78 r.p.m.

Or in 1982, when we realised that CDs would not play on a record turntable....

Where next....?

Networks and downloads, imho....

All best wishes,

John

PS My second post, here, from a computer with no disc drive whatsoever, not even optical. Take the plunge! It feels good once you're in the water.....

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12548

Hey, John! How have you been?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4791
Now, I wrote a reply to that, Jan, some hours ago, and come back to see if there is a response. My post does not appear\! The technology has beaten me. I'll just click "preview/post message" (that is two different things) and see if it works this time.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4792
So, where did my post go....?

Basically, the answer is "fine". Glad things are still happening here.

Also I hope Rick, 2c, Ghia, MR, Ben James and Sem are doing fine. It's been about 4 yrs since we started this thread.

---YEP--- I thought "preview" was "post".

I see MR is still sorting people out. Good to see you guys.

John

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1934
That's some pair of eyes you have there John.

Hello back and thanks for that.

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 71
Hi to my old friends
I am here, waiting for you to continue the exiting discussions
asimo

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10149
Hello again, Asimo.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1935
Hi there Asimo, good to see you are still lurking here also.

Well, though not quite exciting, I'll get back here for a moment to surround vs stereo. Fact is, both are important to me. While DVD-A and SACD aren't setting the world on fire, there are still small numbers being produced and the fact that I have compiled a small collection keeps me involved and enjoying the high resolution formats. Also, with Blu-ray here, I have already purchased a couple of music concert titles and the sound quality is excellent. I have high hopes for this format - both for music and movie enjoyment.

Because of the need for both HDMI and analogue connections we have upgraded our receiver from the Marantz SR-7300 to the SR-7002. I was looking at the SR-8002 and although I was offered one for a great price, I haggled the price of the 7002 down to a very good bargain and figured the difference was not worth the extra money for our needs. And with the results so far, I am very pleased I made that decision. Somehow the Marantz receiver has always seemed to fit soundwise driving the center and rear channels, while the MFA5 (and the NAD combo of past) handle the main speakers.

So surround (for music) will always be part of our listening pleasure although better stereo components have made me much less obsessed about those formats. It's the music, however we like it that counts, but getting it to sound right has been an interesting (and somewhat expensive journey) and perhaps we can settle for some time where we are now.

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1442
Eric Clapton kicked off his North American / European Tour last night in Tampa Florida. It was great to see 4 generations there to hear him.

How did he sound you ask?

Mr. Clapton can still bring it!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10174
Cool.
Hiya Rick, I understand your amp is a display model guniea pig for AKfest.
hehehehehehehe

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1443
That's what I hear...........KEGGER!!!!!!

LOL! A Big Hello to ALL.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1924
Still alive after all these years. Hi, dawgs - just a few lines to let you know that Mer and I are still among the living - and hearing.
Mer finally prevailed, and we'll (finally!) be getting a Samsung LCD TV this summer - probably 46" set that costs more than we can afford - but what the heck, it's only (weak) dollars!
In advance of that, however, we needed to upgrade our DVD/CD player to one that would use HDMI cable. Sigh. Research began.
Blu-ray - as wonderful as it is - is out of our money range, both for discs and players. After looking and comparing, we decided to wait awhile on Blu-ray, and ordered up an Oppo 980H universal player.
For $170 USD - we could afford it.
Well - all I can say is that the video on our "old" TV is "adequate" - but the AUDIO! Wow! Comparing it to my Cambridge DVD87 was like, as Mer said, "opening a window." Smooth, clean and very natural. The SACDs just knock us off our chairs! A happy epiphany - so far. We'll see about the video when we get the new TV set.
Oh, I'm sure to get a big argument from most of you, but for us,on our budget, the Oppo sings a beautiful song.
Meanderings - I've scrapped all my experiments with CD-cleaning. Took the advice of a local vinyl (gasp!) record collector - went to Sam's Club - bought some of their spray bottle lens cleaner. Spray-and-wipe with (of course) a microfibre towel. It's the ONLY kind I'll use. Cleans the CDs to a high sheen, and me thinks that's all I need. Am happily using it.
An aside - a doctor who examined my hearing suggested that I start taking fish oil capsules. When the laughter died down . . .I started taking three grams daily. Six months later, I was amazed that the right-ear hearing had improved to the point that I once again enjoyed stereo! Who knows - or cares. My life got appreciably better - for a few bucks and a huge bottle of pills. We'll see if it continues. . .
But enough on the miracles, yet. Mer and I just wish all of you good times and great music.
We'll be reading from time to time.
Respectfully, LarryR

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6847
Good to hear from you Larry and good to see that you both are in good health. BTW I bought the Oppo for my home theater and am very impressed. It replaced the Denon DVD2910 without a sweat...I don't even miss it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10182
Good to see ya Lar. I am happy that Mer is ok.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1925
Art - good to hear your "voice," sir - which Oppo did you get? I can't say enough good things about my 980, and I haven't even used it with HDMI yet! I understand Oppo will debut a Blu-ray player in the fall. We'll see - I always wait until at least the second generation. Oppo support is great - I e-mailed a question about base management crossover to the subwoofer. They said it's a fixed 80Hz - which I prefer, though many other folks would rather have 40 Hz. The B&Ws seem to love it, anyway. They really sing!

Nuck: thanks. Mer's arm is doing rather well, though she lacks mobility, and is in constant, if minor, pain. Some therapy coming up, but she will never be able to do some of the artwork she once did. Sigh. Such is life. She's trying new things, like a trooper, but sometimes the sad comes through.

Just finished the DVD of Diana Krall in Paris, and although the picture is still only so-so on our old TV, the Oppo's soundtrack just blows us away! Turned it up a bit too far, but the neighbors were gone for the evening. . .(tee-hee) If we could only get DVD soundtrack quality on our redbook CDs! Triple sigh.

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6849
I have the 981HD...the performance is excellent.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1926
Art - good machine, especially for video, I read. Now they have the 983 - their last non-Blu-ray unit, surely? I'm still "on the fence" regarding BDs - we'll see if I change my mind whenever we get the Samsung HDTV. (grin)
The 980 has revived my SACD interest - because they sound much better than they did on the Cambridge. My golden-eared wife says so - and as all of us who have been to husband-school know, the wife IS right! Sigh. . .
BUT - I must admit - I do listen to the SACDs in two-channel mode most of the time - reserving the surround for movies. So kick me. . . .(double grin)

respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 778
Nice to see the old dogs sniffing around occasionally. Cheers.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1927
Yeah, Sem - it's kinda like a family that you leave, but never forget, and that keeps tugging at you. . .

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2706
Here's a new trick for the Old Dawgs...

Wadia is releasing an iPod dock which bypasses the iPod's internal DAC and amplifier. Basically it turns an iPod into a transport, which you'd then connect to a DAC. If the files on an iPod are all Apple Lossless, it should be pretty interesting to hear the results.

And at $379, it could be the least expensive thing Wadia has ever made.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/82178

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1928
So how come it always happens to me? I'd been playing DVDs, some SACDs, and then this ayem I got out some Art Farmer, Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz and, yes, Paul Desmond CDs.
Started to play them - and thought I must be doing something terribly wrong. The first note - or even halfnote - of the first track dropped out. Huh?
I re-set all the settings, checked everything I could. Still happened.
I finally e-mailed Oppo service - and got an almost instant reply. Yep - they've got a problem in all their units, they said. And they have no solution at the moment. Well, heck-fire. . .thought about calling up Amazon to return the Oppo, then decided what the heck, they'll SURELY bring out a firmware update?

I've registered my complaint - and now, for all who read - beware of Oppo! Unless, of course, you've already memorized the first note of the first track of all your CDs! Unlikely. . .

That was my day - hope y'all had a bettah one!!!

respectfully. . . LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1944
Say it ain't so, Larry!

Hope they get it sorted soon. Don't want to be called Larry Half-note from Naples. [heh, heh]

At least you got a quick, honest reply - that's something these days.

Cheers mate.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1929
MR, et al - "Larry half-note?" Heck, that has a good ring to it, sir. . .

Aside from the one smallish glitch, I'm enjoying the heck out of the Oppo. Mer commented last night that, even on our out-dated TV, the movies are crisper and have better color balance.

I hope that Art - way out in Oregon - does not have similar audio problems with his 981?

respectfully. . .Larry Half-note (grin and sigh)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1930
BTW - if Jan, Art, Nuck, Sem, Michael W, etc. has ANY idea that might be a work-around? I'm sure it is hopeless, but I'm reaching out. . .
This is what the Oppo service guy sent:

OPPO Service wrote:
>
> Larry,
>
> Unfortunately there will always be truncation of the first track of a CD on the DV-980H. We have not yet been able to resolve this issue with any of our player designs.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Customer Service
> OPPO Digital, Inc.
> 2629B Terminal Blvd.
> Mountain View, CA 94043
> Service@oppodigital.com

Well, they sent "best regards" anyway! Double sigh.

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2710
What the e-mail should really say is -

Larry,

Unfortunately for you, you bought a player that we have no idea how to fix, and doubt we ever will. It will never play a CD properly.

Fortunately for us, we've been paid for the unit you have, and you'll never see a refund.

In the meantime, we've been contemplating sending a coupon for a free tub of Vasoline to all our customers in an attempt to ease your pain.

Kindest Regards,
The guys who bent you over.

Sorry, I couldn't help it

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 735
Stu....if the trainer thing don't work out for you....

...unfortunately, neither will public relations.

Good to hear from you Larry.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1931
Thanks, Stu, I needed that - OOPS - fingers slipped off the keys - vaseline, you know. (grin)

So why do these things always happen to me?

SIGH

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 779
Larry, sorry to hear of the Oppo problem. Who knows maybe they'll come up with a fix someday. From looking around on different sites it seems like they are quite popular. If it makes you feel any better my player does something similar occasionally. If I change between DVD-A, SACD, or RBCDs it sometimes drops the first second or two. It doesn't seem to happen if I stay on the same format, only when switching. An annoyance that's easily solved in my case by just hitting the previous track key on the remote. I suppose the cause of this is it just takes a second or two for the player to recognize the format, not sure. On the bright side, like Arm and Hammer Baking Soda there are many other uses for Vaseline. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6851
Sorry to hear about the problem with the Oppo...fortunately I don't listen to music with mine...I just use it for movies...I have the Apollo and a modded Rotel RCD971 for music.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10202
At least there is vasaline to rub it in with, Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6853
Sure....huh!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1280
Nice to hear from you Larry.

Have you found a Carver Pre-amp yet?

How about using the Oppo as a Pre-amp line out into your Carver for 2 channel listening?

Sorry, I do not have a suggestion yet for the CD 1st track 1st half note drop. Well one maybe, what if you were to go digital out of the Oppo to your NAD?

Might not sound as good, might just sound different, might like it.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1932
All dawgs: Another posting from Oppo that they've had this problem for years - and can't seem to solve it. Sigh. It's worse on some discs - and I've tried all sorts of work-arounds, to no avail. Thinking of just trying to overlook it. Oppo claims they're really trying. . .
very trying. . .sigh.

Michael - no pre-amp - hasn't been a priority of late, what with many other problems here at home.

The Oppo will work as a pre-amp?> Hmm. . .

Another lesson learned today - the hard way. I was trying to copy down some music onto a thumb drive, to see how the Oppo handled music thru its USB port. Tried and tried - nothing worked.
Finally the very nice Oppo service techs showed me that I was copying in WMA "lossless" format. BLUSH I didn't even know what he was talking about.
Finally dug into Windows Media Player, ripped (awful term) some tracks, and then copied the files to one of my thumb drives. Worked! Pretty cool. . .

I think I'm finally catching up - Mer says I'm probably at about the 1970 level of stereo by now. . .whadda great supporter!

It'll all settle out - and I'll overlook the first track problem, and maybe learn about ripping and burning and all that sort of torture. . .sigh.

respectfully. . .Larry Half-note. (tee-hee M.R.)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12629

Larry - Try starting the disc by either 1) advancing the disc to track two and when it begins toggle back to track one, or 2) advance into track one a few seconds and then toggle back to the beginning of track one.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1933
Hi, Jan - good to hear from you again. Yeah, I've triedboth of your very good suggestions - and they don't work - even though it would be logical to assume that they might. Sigh.

It's just too strange - shaving off about, what, a second or so on the first track - and only track one. Fortunately, it's not all that noticeable on most CDs, but on those where the music begins with a strong chord, or somebody starting a solo, as is the case with some of my jazz discs, it sorta slaps you in the face. I'm truly amazed that more people aren't complaining!

I think Oppo is so interested in its new 983, and in developing a new Blu-ray player, that the R and D boys are by-passing the li'l 980.

Story of my life, Jan - let me buy any piece of electronic equipment, and it will either break or have a flaw in it. That's why, when I go to buy anything from a toaster to a TV locally - Mer ALWAYS picks it off the rack. Works - most of the time! (grin)

respectfully. ..LarryR

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1282
Larry, Never mind about the "Oppo as a pre-amp", I was confusing Outlaw with Oppo, oopso!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2254
­
Larry, you do seem to have the worst luck.

Oppo admitted they've had this problem for years? Most companies would've put a cap on admissions like that to their customers.

Speaking of toasters, I buy only the best....

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t171/JohnS45/marklevinsontoaster.jpg
­

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1934
John S. - this was Oppo's last e-posting to me, on Thursday:

Larry,

We are always looking at improving our product, and the removal of first track truncation is one of our goals. Unfortunately this has been an issue which has been plaguing our product designs since our first unit over 3 years ago.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Sigh - if I didn't love this machine so much I'd send it back - but I find that it only drives me nutz on about 10% of the CDs I play. So I live with it.
Right now it's spinning a Stan Getz with Oscar Peterson Trio CD that's got me in its spell.

I suppose that most of the mopes who play CDs on the 980s either can't hear the truncation, or play music that doesn't highlight the flaw? Who knows. .

Great toaster, BTW! (grin)

OK - OK - let me get into another fray: I'd like as many dawgs' comments as possible. Is there such a thing as CD player "burn-in." Do they sound "better" after playing for x number of hours? I set mine to repeat and let it go for eight hours last night - not sure if there's any difference, though.

respectfully. . .LarryR (AKA Larry half-note)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1945
Anyone else have cache problems with these pages?

Hiya John S - lovely toaster! Does it play a tune when the toast is ready?

Hey there Mr Half-note, to answer your question you'd have to play it without amp and speakers to take their 'burning in' out of the equation, right? [grin].

Seriously though, that's a loaded question which may start another thread war, but I believe that burn-in will vary in degrees depending on the components. However, I have found the sound improves (in a difficult to articulate way) the longer components have been powered up.

Having another sleep hiatus - all excited about a break away for week. All I'll miss is our home audio. Will still have our music, but it's just not the same on low cost portable gear.

Though Ashman may disagree.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1935
MR - go back to bed. (grin) But always good to read your postings. . .

Didn't want to post this -but Mer said she thought y'all would like to know.
My long-time friend Verne, out in LA, died of a massive stroke on Wednesday. Sigh. He was 67 years old. I know that none of you knew him, but he had a very large imprint on my life, and I shall miss his advice.
His wife says that his son will take over his recording duties. RIP

Onward. . .LR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1946
I'm off to the cot Larry, but not before I tell you how sorry I am to read about your old friend Verne. You have mentioned him here on numerous occassions - so on behalf of the old dawgs, we salute another audio enthusiast leaving into the unknown.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1936
Thanks, MR - kind words gratefully accepted.

Jan: Still trying to get that danged first-track-problem resolved. Actually, sir, your first-track toggle suggestion DOES seem to work - on selected discs only. Sigh.
Of course, whilst I was toggling away this ayem, I heard Mer shout: "For God's sake, Lar - STOP IT!"
OOPS - - -
Women don't understand these thangs. (grin)

respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 737
Condolences, Larry.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1937
Stryvn: Thank you, sir.

Now, one LAST question before I get my chat off the Forum and leave y'all in peace.

The Oppo came with a skimpy, dinky li'l power cord. Doesn't even have a ground prong on the plug! The Cambridge had a more substantial-looking cord, even though it was marked "18/3C" Would I be better off exchanging the cords? They'll both plug into the back of the Oppo, BTW.

Or should I go out and buy a more substantial power cord? No - not one of those 100-dollar ones, but at least a bit larger? Sigh.

thanks in advance. . . .Larry R

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10211
Larry, I enjoyed your conveyance of Verne's opinions and antics very much as well. I hope you can see your friend away in a manner that he would enjoy.
Such a very sad age to pass.

Try the cord, although I doubt that there is a half beat in there.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 780
Larry, I'm very sorry to read of your friend's passing, and at such a young age. I know you've mentioned him in many of your posts over the years(?). You have my condolences.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1938
For the condolences - thank you, dawgs.

A half-beat in a bettah cord, eh? Hmm. . .I'm thinking that I just leave well enough alone! (grin)

That's it - I leave the Forum to all you who have much knowledge than I do.

Respectfully. . .Larry half-note (grin)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10239
R.I.P. John Rutsey.

In the Mood.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6871
Very sorry to read of your loss Larry...didn't know Verne but we sure knew of him through you...we never know do we...

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1939
Art: Thanks, sir. Verne's son has taken over his recording position, but says the solid-state playback project is not going anywhere - apparently the iPod crowd has the market, and he says he doubts that the hi-end folk would go for a chip player. Sigh.

Meanwhile, the Oppo is a smash - except for the one glitch. Can't wait to see what it does on a "real" TV set that uses something other than composite input! Talk about old-fashioned!!! Grin.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6872
BTW Larry I played my Oppo for music this weekend with my new (read old but new to me) NAD separates and I was surprised at warm it sounds. I've had to do some adjusting with cables to get the sound right but it does sound very good for an inexpensive universal. I also don't have the first second dropout that you have...however I don't like that it just starts without being told to play. The NAD separates are part of a 3rd system and only cost me $150 total...so what the heck.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1940
Art: Well, my friend far away, I leave to you the tweaking of cables - that I can't hear any difference, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum. (grin)

The truncation is acknowledged by Oppo, and it really only affects about a third of the CDs I've been playing, so far. Any natural sound at the beginning of track one soaks up the problem, and the music starts OK.

Yep, I, too, am upset by the fact that the Oppo starts "immediately" when you close the drawer. Sigh. I like control over my hi-fi stuff, and this unit doesn't let me have it!! As in, "Grrrrrrrrr."

Went into Circuit City (shudder, shudder) today to audition the various TV sets. Came away a bit confused. First, why do they INSIST on cranking up color, contrast, brightness, etc. to FULL! Everything I watched looked unnatural and even eye-hurting. And of course, they would not take time to "turn down" the knobs to user-friendly status. Sigh.

The one thing that bothers me about the Samsung 650 series is the highly-reflective screen and surrounding frame. Whew! Any - ANY - light in the room isk reflected.

Am thinking of a Sony 46Z4100 instead of the Samsung - especially for its less-reflective screen. Such a problem!

Mer suggested - really - taking some very fine black wet-dry sandpaper and "dulling down" the frame around the screen. Hmmm. . .it would sure cut down the glare - but. . . . . .

Did I hear "warranty" in the background? Yeah. . . .

I think this next TV will be our last. All my friends in my age bracket are either sick or dead - and I'm counting down. . . .so what the heck - I'll buy the bestest TV I can not afford, and go for it.

BTW - by switching on the "sharp" command on the Oppo - even the composite pic on our old TV looks so sharp and fine that I'm simply amazed! What a player!

Respectfully. . . LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1941
Art: check yer e-mails, please.

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1290
Larry my friend, regrets and regards to Verne. Too bad his son and compatriots are not more of the Marketing Marvels ilk. Seems like they are on to something.

Do you have a Costco or Sam's Club Membership? They haven respectively, I think a 60 and 90 day return policy. You will have a limited selection compared to CC but they have reasonable prices and quality products too.

Best wishes!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1942
Michael: Thank you, sir. Yes, I've scouted out Sam's Club - but they don't carry either the new Sony or the Samsung.

I wouldn't buy the set from CC, anyway - would buy it on Amazon.com. The CC is just for "the looking." They have a nice home-type setup featuring the Samsung, that I want Mer to see to give her a feel for the 46-inch set that she claims would be overpowering for our living room.

I'm still amazed at the output from the Oppo. From what I've seen so far, Blu-ray couldn't make that much of a difference to me. But I'll sure give it a fair chance!

Art says he's very happy watching video with his Oppo 981 - must be good for him to applaud it.

Now all I have to do is find the money! (double grin)

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2267
­
Larry, I have a little experience with the new TVs. All I can say is that a 46" HDTV will look huge....for about a week. After that, you'll wonder why you watched movies all those years on a postage stamp. :-)

I think people should never buy a 16:9 display that yields a smaller picture in 4:3 pillarbox mode than their old TV's diagonal measurement.

Scroll down to the screen size calculator:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-4.html?tag=tnav

Good luck!
­

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1943
John S - Aha! Yes, it's always good to be vindicated in one's choices. Sigh. Mer and I awayed to a couple of TV places, and she finally agreed that a 40-inch would be too small, and that a 46-inch might be "just right" for our viewing room. Whew!

Now - which one? Looked at a whole lot today, and have come to realize that there are many differences.

At this very moment, I'm leaning toward either the Samsung 46A650 or the new Sony 46Z4100, not even in the showrooms yet. The new LG "Scarlet" looks fantastic - but for way, way too much money!

I think this may be my last TV - so I will choose carefully.

thanks for the input - much appreciated!

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1944
ASIMO conducts! No, not "that" Asimo - but a Honda Motor Company robot named ASIMO. Yep - he/it did conduct the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Yah can read about it. . .Google ASIMO Detroit Symphony. . .
So what's next? Hmm. . .maybe an automatic CD-tweaking robot? It all sounds like something that Jan Vigne would put together. . .

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2721
Larry,

If you have a BJ's near by, check out some Olevia TVs. I bought a smaller one for my bedroom, and have been contemplating replacing my main TV (Sony something or other) with one. Only problem is I spent too much money about 2 years ago on the Sony.

BJ's isn't the best place to audition a TV (actually, it may be one of the worst), but in my home and under normal conditions, its pretty amazing to my eyes, and for a fantastic price. The things you state you don't like about TVs are in line with my views. I'm pretty sure BJ's has a return policy if you don't like it.

PS - I think Target started carrying Olevias too. They're a little more expensive than BJ's.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1945
Stu - wowzer! Never heard of that brand! Will look it up, though Mer says she doesn't want "any off-brand stuff." Hmm. . .having been to husband school. . .sigh.

But I'll check. Thanks.

LR

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 72
Larry R

ASIMO is a third cousin of mine
Hopefully you will buy many more TV sets including HD 3-Dimensions one

Asimo

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1946
And good luck with your conducting, Asimo! (grin)

LR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6885
"Art says he's very happy watching video with his Oppo 981 - must be good for him to applaud it.

And now he just ordered the 980H to compete against the Rotel for a place in the second system...can't wait.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1947
Art, and all dawgs: From the many reviews I've read, the 980 is universally listed as having better audio than the 981.
I have a feeling that even you will be impressed, and you're way above me in sensitivity to sound, sir.

Getting very close to ordering a Samsung 46A650 TV set for Mer. She has been quietly shoving me now for many months. Today I found a good online price, with 3 years no interest payments. My kind of terms! Mer may get her beloved TV yet. . .sigh.

BTW - watched what had been a "fuzzy" opera DVD yesterday - but with the Oppo, even on our cruddy TV, the pic was crisp and the sound full. Me thinks I finally made a good purchase! Amazing! GRIN

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1947
Wel, seeing as it's Friday 23rd here before it is Friday where you good people are, let me and Mrs Rantz be the first to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARRY!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6889
It ain't friday here but it is my Friday (end of work week) so let me be the second to say.

Happy Birthday Larry...!

BTW Lar I received the 980H last night and am working on break in....so far I would say that the old Rotel has it beat...and the Apollo has it trounced but it's new and is showing great promise. SACD is wonderful. The best I've heard since my old Sony. Far better than the Denon and Marantz SACD players I've owned. I'll bet that when all is said and done it will displace the Rotel and sit proudly in the office system with my vastly inferior B&W's (compared to yours Lar) and be making beautiful music!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1948
To the Rantzes - thanks for your "early bird" greetings and good wishes. You Aussies always were ahead of us, you know! (big grin)

Art - good wishes gratefully received, sir. And now that you're in the 980 camp, may I wish you many hours of good listening/viewing.
One of my hold-backs re a Blu-ray player is that they don't "do" SACD. At least none I've seen. And with my 32-disc library, I'd really like that feature. Thus, the 980 - which will surely remain my CD player of choice even with a BD added someday.

And there ain't no sech animule as an "inferior" B&W. (GRIN)

As Curly said so loudly by holding up one finger in the movie "City Slickers," One thing: that's what you have to focus on to succeed. Thus, Art, your Apollo's success - it only does one thing, but that very well.

In case the dawgs haven't heard/read - Netflix is now going to offer a set-top box to get streaming movies instead of ordering the DVDs through the mail. So far, not the latest movies, but they will surely come soonish. The new(est) LG Blu-ray player, due in August, will have a decoder box built into it. My, how progress passes me by!

And the Rodericks will have a Samsung 46A650 TV set to pair with the Oppo by mid-June. Amazon still has by far the best price I've seen. The new(est) Sony 46Z4100 comes out next week, but has a slower pixel refresh rate than the Samsung. 8ns, vs the 4ns for the Samsung.

again - thanks for the B-day wishes. Almost makes turnikng 72 worthwhile! Double sigh. . .
(had to work in at least one sigh, Jan V)

respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10276
Happy Birthday and Happy listening, Lar.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1949
Thanks, Nuck - it was a good day - and now a good night to all dawgs. . .

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6912
Tis late in Swampville....

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1950
Art: 'twas, indeed! Especially for Oldfurts. . .

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1300
Oh well, better belated than not at all.

HAPPY

BIRTHDAY

LARRY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1951
Michael: Thank you, sir. If it didn't have so danged many candles on it, the cake would have been great! (double grin)

respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 785
Is there hope yet?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2008-06-02-better-sound-formats_N.htm

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2823
Hopefully it'll go that way. I'm not getting my hopes up, but you never know.

Another thing helping the cause is that computer memory space is increasing and its also getting cheaper. A 1TB external hard drive can be had for a shade over $300. That's significantly more than enough for most people's entire music collection uncompressed. I have an 80 gb iPod. I've got a little over half of my CDs on it, uncompressed. Its about 1/3 full at this point, if that's any indication. Hopefully the increased memory and affordablity of it will help justify increasing the amount of information.

If a download technology comes out that'll be better than CD, I'll happily download new music, as well as stuff I already have over a period of time. I'd justify the cost of an external hard drive and a good DAC if it'll make my music sound better than any CD player can for the same and even more money.

I'd want a way to download the artwork and liner notes, as well as a way to make a hard copy for if/when the hard drive fails. Currently, if you buy an entire album on itunes, you can download the art and liner notes for free.

In the mean time, I'm sticking to my CD player and turntable.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10328
The mudcrutch release holds promise, I like what I have heard of the content.

Young releasing on BD is odd, now we need a BD player just for music. Any good? Who knows?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1322
I think I would buy the Metallica and Petty releases on vinyl.

BD for music. Can you retain the quality of the format if you went RCA out 2-channel into the Aux in of your pre-amp?

Something Frank Abela posted a while back makes me think not.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1953
I think BD for music may well be the future judging from recorded concerts from artists such as Chris Botti and Santana which we have added to our collection. I can only speculate that studio recordings in either two or multi-channel can only benefit with this new format.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2824
Mike,

I bought the Metallica vinyl re-releases of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. They're easily the best sounding versions I've heard. I bought the standard 33 versions, not the 45s. Both versions were re-mastered by Mobile Fidelity.

Master Of Puppetts is was slated to be released on June 1, but it was pushed back to June 17, and now July 15. Metallica's website initially said that ...And Justic For All was going to be released at the same time as Master Of Puppetts, but now it says sometime in August.

I don't know what the new vinyl set mentioned in the article is. I think its a vinyl version of their upcoming album. I think I'll pass at $125. It'll most likely be bought by collectors who don't own a turntable and wouldn't open it (let alone actually play it) even if they did.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2825
http://www.missionmetallica.com/store/

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1323
Stu,

Thanks for the above info and link. I think I like your route better.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1952
For any dawgs who care: Our new 46-inch Samsung is up and running. Stunning is the best word to describe it. No problems, and our Oppo performs flawlessly with it. Won't bore all with details, but Mer and I couldn't be happier!
Biggest problem is trying to get away from the set to eat, use bathroom, etc. (blush)
Sound is great - and we watched/listened to our first hi-def Met opera from PBS. Just amazing! Ran an optical cable from TV to NAD to get 5.1 sound. The Carver runs the mains speakers, the NAD the sub and surrounds. Enuff, he cried! GRIN

Respectfully, . .LarryR

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1326
Hopefully you have a sleeper sofa.

BIG GRIN!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10338
Lar, you might want to keep the remote handy to pause for the 3 bathroom trips through Apollo13.
Please accept this jab in the spirit in which it is intended!

Silver Member

NY/CA USA

Post Number: 786
Nice Larry. Enjoy!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1953
Good jabs, dawgs. (grin) Yeah, Mer and I "encountered" a cirque du soleil performance last night. Cranked up the sub and let 'er roll. Wowzer! Mer actually screamed when one of the trapeze guys missed a grab, and nearly fell. (sweat)
Too much realism! Give me soft focus! (double grin)

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1954
Wait 'til you get Blu-ray larry!

Incoming, check your mail.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1954
M.R. - got it. Sent back our positive vibes. Sigh.

Second hi-def opera from the Met today - sigh - Mer and I sat there like candy-fed children. Wow. . .

Blu-ray? My, my - if it produces this kind of environment, I'm all for it! Meanwhile, the Oppo 980 performs flawlessly, and adds untold measures of pleasure to our lives.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12766

http://www.chippynews.com/worldclock.htm

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1959
Try memorizing the answers!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10441
Only 15,384,293 shopping days left...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10456
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Bonokoski_Mark/2008/06/30/6031286-sun. php

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1955
It started at the Los Alamos labs - 1988. Stereophile fed the fire two years later. An engineer-friend picked up on it, and claimed "it really works."
So, 20 years late, I decided to fall off the edge. Heck, I'd gone with brass cones, glop-cleaner, rubber isolators, edge-sanding, green-pen lining, etc. etc. etc.
I took six of my oldest CDs - opera and some jazz - discs I was ready to give to the library because they sounded tinny, and had "glare."
Put them in two zip baggies. Put them in the freezer overnight. Into the fridge for an hour. Out to thaw in room temp for another hour. Back in the freezer for five hours, and out again - slowly. Played.
WELL, I'LL BE DARNED. It worked - on four of the six discs, anyway.
Sound had much less glare, and mid and lower tones were smoother and warmer. As I had duplicate discs for five of the six, it was rather easy to compare. Mer agreed, and picked the "frozen" one 100% of the time.
Well - there you have it: my latest "madness." I'm in the process of freezing most of the CDs - a dozen at a time. I'm told it removes the "stress" from the polycarbonate and allows more accurate laser-read.
Heck, I don't know - but I do know that twenty-five discs that had been boxed for give-away because of "tinny sound" have been returned to the library. Well, twenty of them, anyway. Five were just too thin and tinny.

Comments? And no, I don't understand it, either. Nor do I give a rat's hind end "why." I'm happier. Mer's happier. The Oppo doesn't care either way! (grin)

And have an ice day. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12813

Freeze the Oppo.

No kidding.

My Apollo has been frozen along with all of my CD's.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/ambackissues/Belt.htm

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1366
Larry, I too have frozen many of my CDs, eventually all of them will be frozen. I agree completely with your assessment.

One way I would characterize it (note that I also employed other enhancements from the link above) is that a CD from a rock band, which was fine to me before I did anything, suddenly sounded as if I had heard a garage band who then went on practicing and touring for 3 years before I next heard them. The improvements to me were that significant.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1956
Jan, Michael, et al: Sigh. And here I was a-waitin' fer hard stuff to be tossed at my head! No kidding! Well, I seem to learn something ev-day.
Freeze the Oppo? I've read about such elsewhere, though I can't remember where. The mad scientists out at Los Alamos got started with their CD-freezing that way - by freezing various kinds of metals to see molecular changes, or not. So I guess I can just expand that to include an entire CD player? Well, why not - IF it doesn't totally destroy it!
I hate to think of Mer's response to this. Sigh.
Anyway - I am glad to read that others whom I respect have had similar positive results from their own CD-freezing. I shall continue. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12815

If you want to freeze the Oppo, let me know and I'll give you some tips. Do not just stick it in the freezer and hope for the best.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 796
The Insanity Mats seem pretty vanilla now.

Lay it on us, Jan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us