Nad C515BEE vs Nad C545BEE?

Silver Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 194
Anyone have these players? or audioned them. I have a Cambridge Audio 640a and im in the process of looking for a dedicated cd player, ive narrowed it down to these 2 models. my setup consists of Monitor audio rs1 and oppo dv-980h .

Thanks...

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3357
Get the CA 640C instead. Or better yet, the 650C.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Alot of people are saying 640C is not a good player? 650C is expensive, unless i find a deal somewere here. Cambridge Audio dealers are kind of scarce in my area. I Would like to demo one before buying.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3364
Are the people who are saying the 640C is not a good player people who have actually owned one? I've had one for a few years now and I think it's a great CDP for the money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Well some didnt own it, Cambridge Audio 640C are a hard find but they can have pretty good deal them. Ive heards lots of good things about the new nad C545BEE, but im also leaning to a DACmagic early next year. But I wish there was a cambridge dealer nearby, i would like to a cd to match my system. My Oppo is a good player but a dedicated cd player will be the only way. Whats your setup David?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3365
Now my setup is a McIntosh MA-6300 integrated and a McIntosh MCD-301 CD player. But when I was using my CD 640C as a source I had a Bryston BP-20 pre and Bryston Power-Pac 120 mono's. It was a killer set-up.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3366
Are you planning on keeping the 640A Abe?

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
yes, 640a is an awesome amp.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3368
So why wouldn't the 640C be an awesome CDP?

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Well see i havent auditioned Cambrdige cdp, i bought my integrated blindly, the only amp Ive really listened to was the nad C326 but that was a while back, then I read reviews and scrambled on a deal on the 640a and been in love with it, This time I promised myself ill do some auditioning to see, but i havent heard a cambridige cdp yet. i have to rely on reviews. 640C has gotten very good reviews. but the 650C didnt get as well. David your a more experinced audiophile so i value your advice. I just want to know how it compares when using it with my type of system. I listen to all kinds of music and i mean all kinds.. im trying to get deeper into jazz and starting classical.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3370
I think the CA CDP would suit jazz nicely. It's not a genre Iisten to, but I think the crispness and resolution of the 640C would be great for jazz. At this point in my life (after experimenting with much gear, but not nearly as much some of the other guys on here) I've come to really appreciate balanced, cohesive systems. This is why I'm saying if you plan on keeping your 640A, the matching CDP would be better bet than a hodge-podge mix of different gear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Now do you know of anyone selling a 640C? Ill try to find a way to audiotion the 650C... to see how it compares.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3371
I'm keeping mine :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
If you find anywere where i can get one cheap my email. Abogere@live.com , i was also checking the 650C but its too expensive.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3372
http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm#CD_Players_&_Cassette_Decks

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 745
Why not go with the DACmagic now ? Use your Oppo as a transport. Why buy a cdp now and then turn around a get the DAC later ? Do you need both pieces ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
Well wont it be better for me to have a dedicated cd transport, then a DACMagic?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 747
Perhaps, but you need to buy a cdp AND a DAC to have that, as opposed to just a DAC, which would at the very least get you very close. I'm not sure if the DACmagic is as good or better than the internal DAC's in the cdp's. I'm not sure which is the superior solution from an overall sonic superiority prespective, I'm just throwing the option out that you may not need both......and if you don't, why buy both.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2851
The DAC Magic should be and is probably as good, if not better than the 640C. It sounds very good for the money. It also adds some connectivity perks as well. If you have an Oppo, I am with Chris. I would buy the DAC Magic and use the Oppo as a transport. If you opt for the 640C, then the power to you. It is a very good cdp for the money. The DACmagic and the 640c would both make some lovely music.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Ill have to compare because ive heard Nad cdp are the best for their price. I want to locate a dealer that carries external DAC's so i can audition the difference between using DAC or no DAC. Im a beginner audiophile I was able to start building my audio rig ( im turning 20 this month ) So im learning as I go. Also one of my weaknesses in my system are speaker cables. Im using Audioquest X2 ( very cheap )

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14085
How do you see speaker cables as a weakness, especially if you are a self-expressed learner?
Ignore cables, keep thinking sources.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3374
For sure. The Audioquest cables should be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2854
Definitely.

Abe, no doubt NAD make great budget cdp's but I would say the Cambridge cdp's are just as good. If not better perhaps. Depends on what you like. You obviously like the house sound of Cambridge so I would stick with the same brand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
Im learning through my dad is gone through a longer more painful process ( buying after buying components ), Ive read Guide to High end systems by Robert harley and it has helped me big time. I defiently have to go out an audition Cambridge vs Nad. i almost wanted to jump on a Rotel RCD-1072 since there going on clearance, but i havent listened to any Rotel products.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 748
Rotel is a different house sound again. Make sure it's what you like before buying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us