Opinions and some doubts

Username: Beren

Post Number: 1
Hi, i'm a new member, i've been reading you for a days and i want to know your opinions.

First of all, i'm from Spain and i apologize for my english.

Well, i like music very much and i bought a headphones a year ago. The sennheiser hd600. I'm very happy with it and i've bought a dedicated amplifier (Heed CanAmp) and a new cable for the earphones.

Now, i'd like to improve my poor fonts, and i'm looking for a good cdplayer. I'm not in a hurry and i want to choose one with time.

I've got a lot of cd originals, but i've got a lot of cdr copies too, and i want a player that reproduce them without problem.

My economic target is around 600 euros, that means about 900 usd.

I have tested an old Denon DCD 615 20 bit 8 times over samplifing digital filter, and i liked it, but the highs are a bit sharp.

I'm looking for a good machine, that last me years and read well cd and cdr. I like the original sound, it means that i prefer an equilibrated sound better than marvellous and present bass, or artificial highs. I ask for your opinions because i can't prove the equipments near home.

Searching, i have listed these:

Cambridge Audio Azur 550C
Cambridge Audio Azur 650C
Sony scd-x501es
Marantz sa-7003
Rega Apollo
Arcam cd73
Arcam fmj cd17

Here, the apollo is very popular, and i want to know if read well cdr, if the power button absence is very problematic,and things like that.

The Marantz 7003 and 6003 are highly recommended as well.

Other suggestions will be welcomed.

Greetings

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3290
Any chance you get out and listen to some of the ones you mentioned? I have a CA 640C that I really like, I'd love to check out the new 650C and see what improvements there are.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3569
I like the Apollo the best of the bunch. That's why I bought one. It has a power button on the front panel. It'll read CDRs just fine. Some people have reported problems with them reading CDRs, but I think it was because they used a burning speed that was too fast. Rega remommends 6x or slower in their manual. I burned every CD I made at 6x and have not had a single CD that wasn't read.

The best CD player will depend on a number of factors. Synergy will play a huge roll. I've heard gear I really like sound bad in the wrong systems. I haven't heard your headphones nor your amp to say what will sound good and what won't.

I can only think of a handfull of a people who didn't like the Apollo. I've heard from a countless number who have really liked it.

I'm not a fan of Marantz or Sony, but the ones you listed are good CD players. The others are very good as well. Its really a matter of preference and system synergy. For me, the Apollo gets the music right. Other players you mention may have a quality or two that's better, and a quality or two that's worse.

Sorry if I'm confusing you. You should make it a point to hear the CDPs you mention. They're all very good in their own way.

Username: Beren

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your words.

Really, there's not a right answer for these questions, but I like to read your opinions because you've a lot of experience with habituals equipment and i haven't.

The Apollo is a great candidate, but I prefer to choose from a few. It leads the race, jaja!

Has The Cambridge 640c any problems with cdr? I read that has a more defined presentation than the Apollo has. And, what does the new improvements to 650c change in the machine?

I love to investigate, Stu pitt, you haven't confussed me. I will enjoy for years with the new player and i don't mind to spent some time to find the best election to me.

Unafortunately, i can't prove any of them, snif. For that reason, i search for something known for users and without a grat personal sound.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3300
The 640C played every single CD I ever put in it over the course of almost 3 years, if that helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us