Denon AVR-1602 vs Yamaha HTR-5550

Hello,
which is best:
Denon AVR-1602 or Yamaha HTR-5550

I have narrowed down my choices for an AV receiver to the these two well thought of units. The Denon has A/B speaker choices but a remote that looks poorly laid out. The Yamaha has an excellent remote (beautiful look and feel; both are programable)and will drive only one set of speakers, which is all I need. Other than that, these units are spec'd closely. The Yamaha has fewer controls on the panel, but could this be a disadvantage in the end? And the bottom line: is there an audible difference in their sound qualities? Can anyone help me with their insight?
thanks,
Gary

Anonymous
It depends on what kind of sound you like. If you prefer an "American sound" and you think that bass vibrating your furniture is a measure of quality -- then go with the Yamaha. The Yamaha has a very bright, in your face sound. It would make a perfect Fraternity or dorm receiver...rock music and anything that depends a lot on bass sounds fine on it. It's great for parties and movies.

Denon is a significantly better choice for those who prefer to hear fine, classic music and do not believe that bass vibrating your furniture is a measure of quality sound. I'd go with the Denon because it will play a wider range of music/vocals well. While is plays movies okay, the Yamaha is not capable of replicating the music reaching the high ranges well....high notes lack resonance and are shrill. The 1602 does a fine job, but if you can...upgrade to the Denon 2802.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us