LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III LE

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

CA

Post Number: 57
Does the LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III LE amp have enough juice to adequately power my Spendor S8e speakers? Rated sensitivity for these speakers is 87db. What 'cha think? I generally listen to jazz and classical music at moderate to slightly high spl levels. Speaker cables are Stereovox Firebird. Amp would be supported by Velodyne SPL-R 1000 subwoofer. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2414
Walt, while the 8E's are rated nominally at 8ohms, they have a huge swing down to about 3 and up to about twenty or thereabouts, so a fairly substantial amp is required to get the best out of them. I'm surprised you use a sub with these since they go down to about 38Khz, though if part of a HT system I could understand that. I don't know enough about the amp in question, but I've heard these speakers with a Naim 5i and they sounded good, though that was for a fairly short audition.

Bronze Member

CA

Post Number: 58
I had the sub from an earlier config. You are right, the S8e's have plenty on the bottom end.....don't use for HT system but the sub is there if reinforcement is needed. It is inactive above 50hz. Forgot to add that my current amp is Arcam FMJ A32 100wpc. I too worry a little about whether or not the LFD will get the job done. Thanks for your advice! Every review is very positive about the end results from the LFD so that's why I am considering it to replace the Arcam.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10560
It's a good looking amp. If it sounds anywhere near as good as it looks you'll be alright. From what I've read of this amp it should represent an upgrade for you. Wish I had some info for you.

Silver Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 179
The LFD is plenty powerful - have no fears. It is a terrific sounding piece. I replaced my Naim Nait 5i with the older LFD Mistral with no complaints. Sold it a year later and still miss it.

Bronze Member

CA

Post Number: 59
Thanks guys for your input. I am still struggling a little with the fact that the LFD does not have a remote control. For me anyway, that means a lot of getting up and down to adjust level or mute! Am I ready for that? :-)

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2444
That would be a deal breaker for me. The ability to stop, pause, or skip etc from the listening position is as important as sound quality. Maybe that's why I sold my turntable.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10615
My Sonneteer doesn't have a remote. I didn't use the one I had with the Unico...it's not a cd player MR it's an amp...lol!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2446
Of course Art, I just got out of bed :-)

But I do like to pause and skip my amp occasionally.

Even so, I'd have to think twice about an amp with no remote too. I know - exercise, excercise. But listening to music is a time for relaxation.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10616
I really prefer the precision of adjusting the volume by hand. Now a cd player with no remote...not happening!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2448
Fair enough Art I understand:

Sweetheart, up a bit more, no, no, lower. That's it, wait - up just a fraction. You got it. Hmm, no, better get back up and give just the slightest twist back again.

Bronze Member

CA

Post Number: 60
Thanks guys for your thoughts on this. Recently, another candidate integrated has appeared on my radar screen. It is the Rega Elicit. At 82wpc it should be enough for the Spendors....not positive about that. BUT, it does have remote and pre-out to drive my subwoofer. Just worried if it will sound as good as the ARCAM FMJ A32? Any thoughts out there on the whether I should make that change??

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10974
An LFD, Sonneteer, or Naim XS would likely embarass the Rega. By most accounts it carries on the Mira 3's tradition of gray sounding amps. Functions well but doesn't bring any life to the party. I'd say keep looking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us