Is it OK to split my Preamp-out and send to two power amps?

Username: Dborowsk

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1
I have an NAD C 320BEE int amp & an NAD 214 power amp. I'd like to connect the preamp-outs on the 320BEE to my 214 for my main speakers but I'd like to use the built in amp on the 320BEE to power a second set of speakers. Is it Ok to split the out from the Pre-out (using, say, an RCA with a piggy-back jack on it?) so that the signal goes out to two amps? I worry that there will be some kind of impedance/resistance issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3303
It will be fine.

I do this with my HT system in my living room - I split the pre-outs to 2 power amps, one to drive the main speakers in the livingroom, and another to drive some extra speakers in my dining room plugged into a switched outlet.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 640
As long as the paralleled impedance doesn't drop too low you should be fine.

There is a 'rule of thumb' ratio which I never concerned myself with, but matters more as the ratio drops.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14187

You can split virtually any output but you should not as a rule combine inputs. Splitting outputs does have the potential for ground loops but those are normally rather simple to fix in such a situation.

Splitting an output does drop the voltage output by about 3dB which is in most cases negligible. Doing a parallel split can result in an impedance drop. However, since the output impedance should remain low vs a high input impedance there is seldom a problem with impedance issues when you split an output. It would take a somewhat unusual combination of components to affect the sound quality when splitting outputs.

Post Number: 2
thanks everyone for the feedback,
i ask mostly because i am replacing an old NAD 705 receiver which i had wired this way and its developed a lot of 'little quirks' - - left channel drops out intermittantly (which can be fixed by giving it a whack) sudden volume drops, and etc... Before that i had an old (1990's) denon receiver paired with that same NAD 214 and that one went into a permanent 'fault' mode whenever you turn it on.
But sounds like those were different issues and i can go ahead and pair these two as described?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3304
"left channel drops out intermittantly (which can be fixed by giving it a whack)"

lol! Whatever works.

Post Number: 3
hey! i didn't say i was proud of it! thats why its getting replaced!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13979
Did you try beating it with a stick?
A hakapik?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3313
That would be inhumane.

Unless you're Inuit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »