What does 7.1 analog input in the new NAD 743 allow you to do?.......

Mike
I am kind of new to the a/v world and I am trying to decide between the 742, 752, and possibly the 743. I am not familiar with what 7.1 analog input, what will this allow me to do that I couldn't do with the 742 or 752?

G-Man
A 7.1 analog input will allow you to play a DVD-Audio and SACD into a receiver or pre-amp that has a 7.1 speaker set-up.

If you have the room for two extra speakers and plan on having a 7.1 set-up, then having the 7.1 analog input is a good thing. If, like most people, you operate a 5.1 system, then it will go unused.

There is no sonic information to be gained in a 6th and 7th matrixed channel, as they aren't new and discrete channels, but an algorithmic mix of the existing rear surrounds. But if you have a big room and want a more wall to wall effect--then go ahead.

mike
thanks

While we're on the topic of the T743 and 7.1 inputs, does anyone else think it's a bit odd that the T743 has 7.1 inputs as well as 7.1 pre-amp outputs, but does not have any 6.1/7.1 decoding? In order to have DTS-ES/DD-EX support you'd have to not only add a stereo amplifier but also an external decoder with 7.1 outputs and bass management. It sure would have been nice if they just added the 6.1 decoding capability to the T743.

G-Man
Really? Seems incredibly stupid and useless if they omitted the 6.1/7.1 decoding chipset. I guess the marketting people thought it would be a good selling point, even though it is useless. They (the marketting and accounting departments)must have won the war over the engineering department. That said, I am sure it is a very nice 5.1 receiver. But it would kill the deal for me.

If I wanted to get a NAD receiver and one that is basically future-proofed,I would get the T763 or T773. They have the inputs for upgrading.

The following blurb is from NAD---

The new top-of-the-line model, the T 773 is the manufacturer's first A/V Receiver to include 7-channels of internal amplification, delivering our most powerful A/V Receiver to date. This new model provides 110wpc of continuous power with all seven (7) channels driven simultaneously at rated distortion into 4 or 8 ohms. The T 763 and T 753 are equipped with six channels of amplification for rated continuous power of 100wpc and 70 wpc, respectively. The T 743 is perfect solution for 5.1 systems delivering 50wpc (x5) where only a 5-channel home theater is desired.

Well, I hope I'm mistaken about that. The only info on the T743 I've seen is from this link:

http://www.hometoys.com/show_news.php4?section=enhancedview&id=10150076

Specifically, "The T 773, the T763 and T 753 offer the widest array of surround formats with Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS NEO:6 decoding along with 7.1 Matrix, Dolby ProLogic II and the proprietary NAD EARS circuitry for creating natural surround sound from any format input, 7.1, 6.1, 5.1 and 2.0 stereo, digital or analog."

Hopefully, this is just a case of the marketing blurb being a bit misleading...or my interpretation of it anyway. I guess we'll find out in a month or so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us