Problem with Sherwood P-965 universal remote control and accessing my OSD

Username: Szayaz

Post Number: 2
Hello. I've got a bit of an issue, and I'm hoping that one of you may be able to help me. I have a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 preamp/processor for my home theater (that I absolutely love by the way). The original remote, a Sherwood RNC-510, recently stopped working on me. So, I purchased a universal remote, a Logitech Harmony 890, as the Logitech website suggested that the 890 was perfectly compatible with my P-965. Most of the P-965 controls work using the 890, but not all of them.

Apparently, Logitech's extensive database of codes does not contain the remote code for the P-965 OSD (on-screen display) in its database. So, at this point I am unable to access my OSD, which is a real bummer...as I need to get into it in order to adjust some settings. I even went so far as to borrow a friend's Universal MX-500 (of which the RNC-510 is essentially a re-badge), but the pre-programmed Sherwood codes (6 of them) do not contain the OSD code either.

My real problem is this. I do not want to purchase another RNC-510 at this point (for $250), especially considering that I just dropped a couple hundred bucks on the Harmony 890. Does anyone out there suggestions as to how I can rectify this situation? I live in the Denver area, and I would love to connect with someone who owns an RNC-510...and a reasonable distance from my house, so that I could program my 890 to learn the missing codes from that RNC-510.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13677

Call Logitech. Universal remotes are by their nature limited to certain commands. They are not truly intended to be a replacement for the original remote. Some universals, however, can be upgraded via a phone connection or put into a minimal learning mode. Ask Logitech if they can solve your problem.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12656
remotes.com

I was quoted a replacement remote , for whatever it was, for 10 bucks, whereas the maker...Sony! wanted 100$

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12658
I ordered the 10$ unit...then found my lost one...go figgur.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2587
Codes?- Steve- I own the 880 AND the 890, and both are fully programmable through a PC using the wire. Did you install the software on your PC and are doing the setup there? Or are you trying to input the codes through the remotes OSD setup? That remote should do everything for you. Let us know how you are trying to run the setup. Cheers.

Username: Szayaz

Post Number: 3
Thanks, folks. Yeah, Nick K. I installed the software on my PC, connected the USB cable to the remote and programmed everything in (according to the P-965 "template"). However, when I went to search for the function that would control the OSD, I could not find it. I guess I will have to call Logitech directly, as Jan suggested. Again, thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us