Rega Brio 3 with Totem Arros??

Username: Ikrga

Post Number: 4
Can Rega Brio 3 successfully drive Totem Arros? I had a chance to hear smaller Totems (Dreamcatchers and Mites) side by side, and although I liked Dreamcatchers, they were a bit to forward sounding for me.

Any other speakers that would match well with Brio 3?

Brio will be used in medium size room with Rega Apollo, Chord Cobra 3 interconnect and Chord Carnival Silver Screen speaker cables.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2120
Never heard the combo, but I imagine it would sound pretty good in a reasonably sized room at low volume levels.

But looking at the specs of the Arro (4 ohm nominal/87 dB), the Brio could be a tad underpowered.

Where's Frank?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8967
Rega RS3's would be a great match for your Rega system.

Post Number: 5
Art, have you had a chance to try RS3 and R3 side by side? R3 dealer demos go for $500 less than RS3, do you think the upgrade is worth the money?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8968
No I have not. I own the R5's and have listened to the R3's on a number of occasions...obviously I really like them. By the accounts that I have read the new RS3 is a bit better but the old R3 is no slouch.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3571
In my opinion, the Arro is a bit of a tall ask for the Brio. Certainly I would not expect the Brio to be able to drive the speakers in above average sized rooms to a rocking level. For the same money I'd look at the Naim n-Sats which are much easier to drive (still a strange combination).

Alternatively I'd build a better system by replacing the Brio with a Mira and going for lower level speakers. If the Dreamcatchers are too forward, then the Mite should do it. Incidentally, I perceive the Arros as brighter than the Dreamcatchers, so I'm not sure Arros are a good solution here anyway.

I would also investigate Rega's new RS3. I haven't heard it yet but if it's just a bit better than the old R3 then it should be pretty good.

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 197
Ivan, if you upgrade to the Mira 3 I would have a listen to Totem Sttaf speakers. I have this combo with an Apollo and it's wonderful. Sorry I can't help with speakers for the Brio.

Post Number: 6
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I had a chance to hear Brio with RS3 speakers and liked the combo a lot, much fuller sound and better dynamics compared to Dreamcatchers, however I'm leaning toward R3 version which goes here for $500 less..

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8986
Good choice Ivan.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11634
Ivan, Art knew that going in, those pieces really are made for each other.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us