An entirely new kit?

Bronze Member
Username: Danonc

Post Number: 15
I've been living with a Rotel 1062/1072 and B&W 685 speakers for a while now and although there are things that I like about the system (e.g., the spaciousness), there are some things that I really am missing. I feel like a lot of the true timbre of acoustic instruments, and even voices, is missing. I've heard very satisfying systems that are well beyond my budget. These are systems where I can really hear the technique/tone/atack of different musicians and their instruments. I play a lot of music in group settings (jazz and blugrass; I play mandolin and guitar).

I've recently bought a Rega P2/Elys2 and it gets closer to the sound I'm looking for, but not by a large degree. I think that may be due to the limitations of the Rotel phono preamp.

So, I'm looking for opinions on where to start my search. I'm going to have to put a system togehter slowly, one piece at a time, due to budgetary constraints. I don't want to spend over $1500 initially, and am inclined to spend that money on a good integrated amp with a decent phono preamp. Is this a reasonable line of thinking? Art (a neighbor of mine) and I have discussed this a bit, but not at length. Opinions please.......

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8999
Dan that system of yours has excellent synergy on it's own however for something more real sounding you have to be willing to spend more. Remember what Dale's system sounded like with your table...there is more than one reason it sounded so different from yours. van den Hul is just one, Devore Fidelity would probably be another. You can't match a system like that without significant change and investment.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11635
As a musician, I think you are likely to focus on your particular instrument when critically listening, like i sometimes do.
if any particular setup does not do what you want, then a sideways move to another 'house' sound may provide the focus closer to where you want to be, but the tradeoffs might not make you happy either.
If you know the strengths of playback that you want most, and can live with the tradeoffs, then yes, a sideways move may be fine, but to gather up all the pieces and make the room more of everything, you might look long and hard to improve on the rotel/B&W that you have, and that I like, myself.

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 63
Maybe spend the $1500 on a better used preamp? Though I don't know what brand would sync with the Rotel amp, and it still won't solve all your problems. But it's a step.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3582
I'm inclined to say that the thing holding back your system is the Rotel CD player. I've never really got on with it. I find it smooth to a fault, blurring leading edges in the process (very important to a guitar player), giving a safe, pleasant sound without engaging the listener particularly. Perfect for background music (ouch, I know).

Look at the Apollo for a different similarly priced taste, the Naim CD5i, Cyrus CD6SE or loads of others. These are the minimum sources I would consider. Once you've got a source whose heart is in the right place you can consider where to go next.

Of course, you could just go around listening at dealers to systems which include players like the ones I've suggested to give you an idea of where those brands can take you eventually. So for example, go listen to a Rega Apollo/Mira/RS3 or a Naim CD5i/Nait5i/n-Sats system.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2180
Hmmm. That's interesting Frank. I would never guess Rotel-anything to be smooth and safe. I'm not knocking Rotel stuff, I actually quite enjoyed my Rotel rig when I had it. Like Dan, I enjoyed the spaciousness of it.

I haven't heard the CDP in question, so I can't really comment either way.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3588
Old 80s Rotel was always fairly smooth and fairly safe. The 1062/1072 pairing was actually let down by the CD player which just played too safe in my view. The amp was really quite capable and enjoyable by comparison.

That said, that range didn't do very well for Rotel here in the UK, possibly somethign to do with the looks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11664
I beg to differ with Frank here.
I have never found the 1072 to be anything less than electric/lively/jumping

Although Frank may never have owned thi player, I have, and do.
The 1072 is my choice of cdp for fast and hard RnR, for several reasons.
Firstly is the attack that the player provides, which is rather relentless on some recordings, just mildly aggressive on milder stuff.
Secondly is the low floor noise and abrupt decay that the player provides.

Think Metallica, although I do not play that band.
How about Queen? Something like Tie your mother down, or Tenement Funster come to mind.

The 1072 is a very fast machine, IMO, and not likened to classical or opera cd's.

thats my take from the seat here.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2189
It would be interesting to hear the 1072 with my Mac (whenever I eventually get it, that is).

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 648
Dave, do you have any ETA on the Mc? Even a SWAG (super wild a.s.s guess)?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2192
I called today, just cause I'm dying here. (It's only been a week). I already sold my pre-amp, so I have no music (well, I have my 1/2 dozen or so other systems, but nothing that compares). They told me it could be another week or so. I just gotta hang in there.

Bronze Member
Username: Danonc

Post Number: 16
Thanks for all the replies folks! It turns out that part of my problem was power (as in AC power). I'd been using a cheap power strip to plug everything into. I ordered a Juice Bar from PS Audio and wow, what a difference. It really is like a new system. I'm going to listen to it for a while before making any new moves (although I am going to audition a Sonneteer integrated sometime in the next week or two).
Dan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us