Okay got my Pioneer Elite 45tx... now what for speakers?

Jeff Plous
I think my plans for Dahlquist DQ-10s has fallen through. If I am unable to get these speakers, are there any suggestions for speakers that will be better? I want some great speakers for my setup...
Thanks
jeff

Jeff Plous
C'mon guys I really do need some help on this... I dont want to make a mistake...

Fab 5
Jeff-

I love my Monitor Audio's. I have the Silver series and I've been in love with these speakers from day one. From what I've read around this place, your receiver will be the perfect fit for Monitor's. Do you have a Good Guys near you?

Jeff Plous
No, I dont think I do, im in boulder, co. What model speakers do you have? which silver series? All the monitor audio speakers ive found are really expensive... But maybe I could find em used for a decent price...
Any other suggestions?

G-Man
Depending on your budget a good place to start would be to check out the online speaker manufacturers: axiomaudio.com and aperionaudio.com The Axiom line is more extensive and gives you a bigger spread in pricing depending on your budget. And since both are online companies they cut out the retail mark-up and allow you to get delivery and listen to each speaker for a month and then return them if you are less than happy.

Both the speaker companies make quality product.

Jeff Plous
Any in particular you would suggest? I think I am looking for some floor standing front speakers and Im not too sure what Ill be doing for rears and a center yet... In another post you said if i got Dahlquist dq-10s they would be my weak point, why is that?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
One more thing I should add here... I do listen to a wide variety of music anything but classical and country... So even if I did get the dq10s would they be able to handle the load of harder, faster music? With my sub that is..
-jeff

G-Man
There is nothing wrong with the Dahlquist's except that they have a weak and mushy low end. If you get a self-powered subwoofer you could crossover the speakers at 80 Hz or 100 Hz to the subwoofer and they would be fine.

But the Dahlquist's might be a bit difficult to match well in the center and surrounds if you go in that direction. That is the main reason to try another brand of speaker that you could eventually match in a surround format.

Your choices depend on your budget. If you are going to buy a pair of speakers first, what is your budget for that? A good place to get used speakers is a site such as Audiogon.com

That said--the Axiom tower speakers are quite good.

Jeff Plous
Okay, so, so far my budget for speakers after buying the 45tx is around 400 bucks for fronts. Thats the reason I'm still leaning towards a set of dq-10s since I can hopefully get an upgraded pair for that price.. Axioms looked great, but I think they may be out of my budget..
Anything else to look at? Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
One more thing.... Can I take 2 extra channels out of my reciever and hook them up to the speakers so they would be getting a total of 200 watts a piece?
Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
You can, but it won't accomplish anything. That is the same thing as bi-wiring and bi-wiring is useless (for all practical purposes). You can't get more power from one amp going to the same speaker regardless how many wires you have going from one amp to that speaker. You can only power separate speakers from the same amp and get a result. This is the "superposition" rule of physics.

My advice--if that is your budget I would definitely spend more on the speakers than the receiver. I would buy a 43tx and get some axiom towers or some other receiver that is less than $500. The speakers are far more important to what you hear.

But if you have your heart set on the 45tx either get the used Dahlquist's or go to Audiogon.com (or some other site that sells used hifi equipment) and get some used towers. I saw a nice price at audioreview.com for used PSB Bronze towers that list for $1100 on sale for $500. They are excellent. I saw used Dahlquist 20's at $550 on Audiogon.com.

Even new PSB Image 4T's can be had for less than $500. They are small towers that are very reasonably priced. But buying used will always get you much more performance for the dollar, particularly if you don't mind a scratch or two. You just have to make sure that the speaker itself is in top shape.

Jeff Plous
Well I already bought the reciever, should be here this week. What is power separating? Ive been looking around on Audiogon.com - great site. Whyd you mention the dq20s over the 10s? I was aiming at the dq-10s bc theyll be easier to ship and parts are easily available from regner. Will your suggestions for speakers match the reciever I have? Will the dahlquists match the reciever I have?
Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
I mentioned the D 20's because I saw them being sold on the audiogon site and you had expressed interest in the 10's. No other reason.

I have never used Dahlquist speakers so I couldn't advise on the difficulty of driving them. I have just heard them maybe 10 years ago. Go to a Dahlquist chat site and ask people that have that speaker on the power needed to drive them well.

Power separating sounds like advertising copy. You would have to tell me in what context they are using the words. Sounds like "AD" BS to me.

Jeff Plous
"You can only power separate speakers from the same amp and get a result. This is the "superposition" rule of physics"

What does this mean?
Also will your suggestions match the sound of my reciever?
Anyone else want to throw their 2 cents in here?
Thanks
Jeff

Hawk
Jeff:

I don't know the size room you have, nor am I clear on whether your budget is $400 for a front pair of mains, or $400 each for the front mains. Nevertheless, a couple of suggestions:

1. Klipsch--excellent speaker, uses a horn tweeter which can be on the bright side, but it is exactly what you need with the Pioneer Elite. The Klipsch are very accurate and very clear and any tendency toward brightness will be smoothed out by the very laid back Pioneer Elite's amp section. I know some Klipsch models are being closed out and you can get them rather cheaply right now (don't know which ones, though). I do know I have seen Klipsch at Best Buy and I think Klipsch is pulling their product out from Best Buy, so you need to check this soon. You can get the RB-5 II or the RF-3 II from Elegant Audio Video (on the net) for just over $500/pair.

2. JMlabs-same rationale for JMlabs as for the Klipsch. Check out Moondance Audio in Denver (2000 block of south Broadway) for the Chorus line of JMlabs--I think they have a sale on right now.

3. Monitor Audio Bronze--unfortunately, the silver series is out of your price range, but the Bronze are very good. Check out Sound Hounds on East Arapahoe in Centennial--I believe they have the MA line.

4. Finally, I have not heard this combo, but because the value is so great, I think it is worth considering--check out the CM-170s from Ascend Acoustics for $328/pair (www.ascendacoustics.com). The Ascends are the best value of all of the web based speaker companies that I have heard (I have not heard all of them, but have heard quite a few). It might be worth getting a pair to see if they work for you. If not, you can always ship them back for a refund.

Good luck.

Jeff Plous
Hawk-

Most of the speakers you suggested are bookshelf speakers, I was really thinking of floorstanding speakers. Are those klipsch for 519 that are towers good? And do you suggest NOT going with the dq-10s? Why? Any other floorstanding speakers you can suggest? My room I will be using these in is around 15-30' And we throw a lot of parties in this house where we have the music up rather loud.. My subwoofer is a JBL TLX PS10 just to let you know (not sure if thats good or not..) Anyway all suggestions are welcomed. I have maybe 600 to spend on speakers for fronts total. Im obviously looking at the used side so far as I want as serious a speaker as I can get...
Thanks
Jeff

Fab 5
Jeff-

The Monitor Bronze are floor speakers. Well, the Front Left and Rights are anyways. They should fit into your range also. Hawk really knows his stuff. You can trust him with your first born.

Jeff Plous
Where can I find monitor audio bronze for a good price?
Jeff
---- And Hawk Id still like to hear your opinion on dq-10s....

GT
Jeff,
Go here and see if there is a dealer relatively close to you. http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/dealers/index.html

The MA Bronze B4 is a very good floorstanding speaker. Listen to Hawk, he knows his stuff.

Also look at the highly rated Athena AS-F2. Best Buy carries them and would be a good match for your Pioneer. Price is $599 but BB often has 10% off coupons. Take them home and try in your environment. BB has a terrible showroom, not good for listening to speakers.

Jeff Plous
Its sooo hard to figure this out!
I am still very interrested to hear what Hawk thinks (and others) about the DQ-10s... Would they be a good match? I really want a speaker that will last me a very long time for my purposes (ie music and movies... lots of movies)...
Jeff

elitefan
Jeff,
You cannot do better with your 45 than Monitor Audio. I should know as I have that system. I have a Monitor Silver system but if thats out of your price range the Bronze series will serve you well. The 45 is a great receiver and I applaud you for buy it and pairing it with Monitors will bring out it's and the Monitors good points. Great combination.

Jeff Plous
How much would a set of monitor audio bronze cost?
And still Id like to hear what Hawk thinks of the DQ-10s out of curiosity...
Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
I think the Bronze B4 towers list at $599. You might be able to get them at 20% off at some online places. If you can find a used pair it would be around $400.

Jeff Plous
Anymore thoughts? Going to be trying to do something in the next few days...

Jeff Plous
And another thing... If I were going to get monitor audio silvers... which ones would be good? How much would a pair of these cost?
Thanks
Jeff

elitefan
For mains the silver 8 is $1499pr, the silver6 is $999pr and the silver2 is $749pr. the silver1 is $599 and I am using those as rears with the 2's as mains and the center which is $599. Great system for the money and with the Elite.

Jeff Plous
Elite fan why didnt you go with floor standing speakers? Out of curiosity..
Jeff

Jeff Plous
heh And one more thing again... I really am looking for speakers that sound like the performance is in the room with your for movies and music - at any volume...
Jeff

G-Man
A reason to get bookshelf speakers is that good ones often have better imaging. Another reason is that most floorstanding tower speakers still benefit from having a quality self-powered subwoofer. Hence, if you are going to buy a self-powered subwoofer that is well-mated to your speakers, it often makes good sense to get quality bookshelf speakers.

If you don't want to spend the money on a self-powered subwoofer a good tower speaker makes sense.

elitefan
I didn't get towers because my room is small[14x14] with wood floors and bookshelfs just work better in that room. In a different room I would have gotten the 6's in a heartbeat. They are just amazing for the price but I love the 2's as they are perfect for my setup.

Jeff Plous
My room is rather large, and I dont know much about the sub I own - I got it for 50 bucks from a friend a few years ago... Its a yamaha TLX PS10.. I have it setup under a platform I built in the basement to allow for stadium seating (2 rows of couches great for movies and football games..) You all do have me leaning towards a search for monitor audio speakers now... But honestly what would make these better than a set of DQ-10s? I know I keep going back to these but they are the only high end speakers I have experience with...
Thanks for puttin up with my questions!
jeff

G-Man
There is nothing wrong with the DQ-10's, except they have a "mushy" bottom end. They really require a good subwoofer to truly shine. That way you could cross-over the DQ's at 80 or 100 Hz to the subwoofer. Sorry to say the Yamaha subwoofer doesn't qualify--it is far inferior to the DQ's. But if they don't bother you--hey why not?

The least expensive quality subwoofer I would get is the PSB subsonic 5i that can be gotten at around $350. I realize this blows your budget.

The MA Bronze B4's definitely have a better bottom end than the DQ's. Not state of the art or anything like that, but significantly better.

Jeff Plous
well the thing is Im building a system slowly - front speakers now center channel and rears later and an upgraded sub asap after the fronts. So having low end isnt the most important part since Ill try to get a nice sub soon... The important part to me is to match the speakers to the reciever so that I will have a great starting off point to build from...

Jeff Plous
Wow, I got a call back from regner himself today and was able to ask him a bunch of questions about the DQ-10s. His biggest concern was power. At 100 watts per channel my 45tx may be a bit too under powered to push these monsters.. They usually suggest around 130ish to push them accurately at high volume. He said I may be alright if my reciever is under rated and really has high high current... He also told me about a product they make that isnt advertised on their site which is called a bassline enhancer. It attaches to the bottom of a stage (I have stadium seating in my basement) and hooks up like a subwoofer. It can put out 20lbs of tourque... So when a bomb explodes in a movie... it really THUMPS. They do make center speakers and will be making speakers that work great for rears by October... at a rather high price (I forgot the exact figure). He did agree that matching may be very hard outside of other dahlquist for theater... but did suggest some B&Ws or certain boston accoustics...
This gives me food for thought.. BUt I really am thinking of saving for some Monitor Audio Sillver S8s instead since other parts would be readily available... Now what do you all think?
PLEASE HELP!!! :)
Jeff

G.DawG
Jeff,
I would not be concerned about the underpowering, I push 250w(8ohm 94db 1w-1m) towers with my 43 and it pushes them fine even at pretty high volumes. If someone tells you that a 100 watt receiver cannot push 130 watt speakers they either dont know what they are talking about, or its a marketing strategy to get you to buy their product. The only time a receiver cant push a speaker is when the impedance is too low.(as a very basic rule of thumb)

Jeff Plous
THey are actually 6ohm speakers. Regner is one of the original dahlquist engineers.. He says this because he admits they are not efficient on the way they suck power. His cap upgrade for them helps, but still not perfect... Still tho.. any thoughts on these compared to monitor audio now?
Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
Jeff--Believe the guy at Regner. He says the speakers need 130 watts minimum, which probably means it could benefit from a lot more. Knowing this, I would definitely go for the Monitor Audio speakers, which are far easier to drive.

Jeff Plous
Well he said I should be okay as Im right on the cusp... but I think you may be right... As much as I do have a thing for these speakers... Any more opinions?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
So also as Im doing research I may be able to get a pair of monitor audio silver s-8s for under a grand new in the box.... Whats the big diff between the s-8 the s-10 and s-6? Its a bit more than I wanted to spend, but whatever well see what happens...
Jeff

Hawk
Jeff:

Sorry to be gone so long--I see a lot of good people have weighed in on this thread and you are getting pretty good answers. Sorry my options were bookshelf speakers--I didn't know you wanted floorstanders.

In response to your interest in my opinion, I frankly don't have one on the DQ-10s. I haven't heard them, so I can't help you.

The floorstanding Klipsch I was referring to, the RF-3 IIs, are pretty good speakers. I found them at that price at Elegant Audio Video (elegantaudiovideo.com), which is a good internet dealer. I also like the Monitor Audio Silver Series, so if you think you can stretch to get them, I would say go for it. The suggestion of the Athena FS-B2s is also a great speaker, especially for the money (MSRP of $599/pr.) and a good match for your Pioneer Elite.

Jeff Plous
Hawk- of the options, which do you think is the best? Ive been oogling the silver s8s a bit but Im not sure if theyre the best for me. But between the klipsch monitor audio and athena, which is your pick for best match to my system and uses?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
Ive also recently discovered the speakers I thought were s8s I could get for under a grand are silver 8is... any thoughts on these? I feel the s8 would be better... but more money...
Jeff

Jeff Plous
:) And while its late and im responding to myself... What about the suggestion for using the Axiom brand speakers? The m80ti is within the same price range as the s8s... But Im not sure how they would compare?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
ugh and by yamaha sub I meant to say JBL if that makes any difference...
Jeff

GT
The Axiom M-80 is a great speaker, but it is 4ohm and likes lots of power so might be taxing on your receiver. The M60 has similar sound and cost about $300 less and is an 8ohm floor standing speaker. They both have great reviews.

There is a forum on the axiom website and the founder and engineers chime in often. Axiom is know for its superior customer service. Give them a call or send a note.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/store-towers.html

Jeff Plous
Thanks for the info... I posted on their website. Will my elite 45tx handle a 4ohm speaker? And would the m80ti be a good mate to my stereo system?? And how would it compare to the monitor audio s8s?
Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
With the Elite 45tx I would stick with the much easier driven Monitor Audio Silver 8's if you want a tower speaker in that price range. The Axiom's are quite good, but I would be a little antsy on the combination, particularly if you like to listen LOUD.

Jeff Plous
Yes I do like to listen to my speakers loud... I can use 2 channels per speaker with the axiom tho cant I? I can do that with the s-8 as well.. cant I? So wouldnt that make it good for my system? Would the sound match my reciever?
Thanks
Jeff

Hawk
Jeff:

I tried to respond to your question early this morning, but again I ran into a server error and my response was lost.

I would not test the 45tx with a 4 ohm speaker (Axiom 80s). I have not tested the Axiom, but you don't know how your receiver is going to respond to it and the receiver is not rated to handle 4 ohm speakers. If you want the Axiom, go with the M60s, which are an 8 ohm speaker.

Of the Athena, Klipsch and Monitor Audio choices, I like the MAs the best, but I recognize they are a bunch more money. My second choice would be the Athenas, but the Klipsch would be very close behind. The differences would be close.

I do have another idea, however, that has not been discussed here. Given the size of your room, check out the Mirage Omni 250s, a floor standing two way that has a very unique tweeter which radiates in a 360 degree pattern, giving the speaker a very spacious sound. Great combo with your receiver, too. Check them out at Sound Hounds in Centennial.

Good luck

Jeff Plous
I just spoke to sound hounds.. Scott is a nice guy there. Its a one man store. He said I can bring in my reciever and we can play with all the speakers and try them out with it, since he does not carry pioneer elite recievers. He said he would be very competitive with pricing which is good. He is about 45 miles away from me, so hopefully Ill get out there this weekend and meet up with him since my reciever will be here friday some time.
In the mean time... Any more suggestions or opinions??
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
Also while im looking up mirage... How are the mirage om series? like the om5 and the om7? Seems like the only difference is the om5 has 2 8" drivers... Any thoughts?
Jeff

Fab 5
Jeff-

That's a great idea taking in your receiver to audition different speakers. This will give "YOU" the person who will be owning and using the speakers a chance to hear what you like best. One person's favorite could be your worst. I always say I love my Monitor Silver 6's. ($849 at the GoodGuys by the way) But I think you should go with your likings. Keep us posted on what you have chosen.

Jeff Plous
Last question tho... With the axiom m80s you all definetely think my reciever would struggle to push them at higher volumes? Cant I use 2 channels for each speaker to up the amount of watts going to it since they are bi ampable?
Thanks
Jeff

Hawk
Jeff:

Scott is a good guy and having you bring in your receiver is what any good dealer should do. I have taken in a lot of my gear (speakers to listen to receivers, receivers to listen to speakers and sometimes my CD player just to hear something else!) and it really helps in the evaluation because you already have a reference point. I encourage everyone to try it (mornings are usually best as there is less traffic in the stores then). Can't do this at the big box stores! Most important, you have chosen this receiver and now you need to find a speaker that works well with that receiver so that you can really enjoy it.

don't know enough about the Mirage OM5s to comment. Judge for yourself at Sound Hounds.

Regarding your question about 4 ohm speakers: No, if I understand you correctly, you cannot just connect two different channels to one speaker to get the impedence correct. It doesn't work that way. Besides, the sound sent to the left channel is not the same signal sent to the left surround channel! The problem you will encounter with a 4 ohm speaker driven by an amp rated only to handle an 8 ohm load is that either the receiver will shut down as the heat builds up, or damage will occur to either the receiver or the speakers (or both). There are too many good 8 ohm speakers out there to bother with it.

Good luck!

G-Man
Jeff--Bi-ampable means you would need to buy an additional amp to the one in your 45tx. That strikes me as fairly expensive and unnecessary, as there are so many very good and excellent 8 ohm speakers that your receiver can drive with zero problem.

As no one here knows the 4 ohm output of the Pioneer Elite 45tx, there probably isn't anyone here that can correctly inform you on its ability to drive a 4 ohm speaker, unless there is someone here doing just that. If you want to know you should e-mail Pioneer's tech department. That is the only way to truly know (as I am sure they have tested it), unless you want to be a guinea pig and risk speaker or receiver damage.

Jeff Plous
G-man good idea, I'll give that a shot..
Also the monitor audio silver series are 6ohm will that work with my reciever? Or should I really be looking for 8ohm?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
anyone on this question?

Hawk
Jeff:

The 6 ohm rating is getting to be pretty standard in Europe. Most receivers, and I think the Elite is one, rate themselves as requiring 6-8 ohm speakers. Additionally, the MAs are more conservatively rated--I would expect that a US manufacturer would rate them as 8 ohms.

Please realize that no speaker is a constant resistance. Instead, the resistance will vary by frequency and any rating is just an average or nominal (general) rating. Most 8 ohm speakers will dip to around 4 ohms at a couple of frequencies, but they will also have some spikes that will be up around 18-20 ohms, as well. Overall, they work out to around 8 ohms and that is good enough. The only time it is a problem is if you get a speaker that has its resistance at most of its frequencies below 8 ohms, such as a Magnepan or Dynaudio speaker. You need a real high quality amp capable of 4 ohm loads or less to drive these type of speakers.

So, I wouldn't worry about the Elite with the MA speakers. They should have no problem with them.

Jeff Plous
Okay, for more comparison Ive been talking to people on the axiom message board. They say the 4ohm m80ti will work with my reciever... one guy showed a graph and i dont particularly understand it...
his message is as follows..
Although I can't think of anybody off the top of my head with the particular combination of the 45TX and M80s, judging from the third-party measured impedance/phase curves of the M80 shown below, I don't foresee any problems. In fact, combined with its high efficiency, the M80 is one of the most "benign" 4-ohm loads I've seen -- my Hales are much wilder.

Does anyone agree with this? or disagree?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
Woohoo!
Got my reciever in the mail.. Thing really is heavy! I am going to sound hounds tomorrow morning with it to listen to speakers. I am currently leaning towards the monitor audio silver s8s. Or I may buy what Im going to use for rears and use them for fronts for awhile until I have enough money for the fronts... maybe some s2s?
Anyway Im also still rethinking the axioms because of what that guy told me.. Anyone disagree?
Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
The Axiom 80's cost $1200. You could probably get new Monitor Audio Silver 8's for $995--maybe less.

I would prefer the Silver 8's, but you couldn't go wrong with either. If the graph of the Axiom's shows the 0hms never go below 2 ohms I am confident the Pioneer will never have problems, but as I said go e-mail Pioneer at their website and ask. But there are so many great 6 and 8 ohm speakers, I would concentrate on them. Definitive Technology also makes excellent and easy to drive speakers.

Jeff Plous
Just to let everyone know here is what pioneer responded...

"Pioneer recommendation is 6 - 18 ohms, but 4 ohms should be OK."

I am going to look at monitor audios and mirage speakers tomorrow morning. I will let you all know what I think after I hear them..
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff Plous
Okay heres the update...
I went to Sound Hounds and I DID buy the MA s8s
I compared them to the similar mirage speakers and some other brand I forgot the name of. I paid 1050 for them. He wanted 695 for the mirage's I believe. The difference? I felt the MAs sounded just slightly more on target. The mirages sounded a bit too high almost very very sharp high to me. Scott truly is a really nice guy, SO if anyone is in the Denver area hes an A+ person to buy from.

So now that I have them my question is how do I set everything up properly? Any really good way to connect so I can watch digital cable through the reciever? I have a 27" Wega TV. Also (JUST TEMPORARILY) I am using my PS2 for all dvd/cd related things. I will be hooking it up optically to made a better signal. Also before I bought all this I was using an old bookshelf system I had from high school. Its a Yamaha unit. Im using the fronts from it for my surrounds right now. The center is really small and Im hesitant to hook it up as a center... But is A center better than NO center? I also have my sub hooked up BUT what should I have the crossover set at?

For any other elite users out there, I used the MCACC to set up and all my speakers distances are off. I also thought that maybe I should set the speaker size to small for fronts?

All responses are GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks to all,
Jeff

G-Man
Why are your measurements off? Don't you have a tape measure? Your two front speakers should be equidistant from the monitor---let's say 4 to 6 feet away. Your prime seating spot should be centered in front of the monitor. If you can put your center speaker on top of the monitor that is generally very good. If you don't have a powered subwoofer you should set the front 2 speakers to large.

In a 5.1 system, ideally your rear surrounds should be slightly behind your seating position and similarly spaced as your front speakers. If you are seated against the wall than your surrounds should be placed equidistant from your prime seating position and aimed at your seating position. Hopefully they will be at least the same distance apart as the fronts. Usually one sets bookshelf surrounds to small.

Once you have done this put the MCACC microphone about where your head is when listening. Then you should move away from the "mike" and run the MCACC menu following all instructions. As long as your tape measurements are fairly accurate you should have no problem getting a reasonably balanced result.

Of course, the above will probably improve A LOT if you get a good subwoofer and a good center channel. Center channels are very important for dialog and filling in off-axis sound, particularly when listening to music in 5.1

I would recommend a Monitor Audio center channel because it will have the same characteristics as your 8's and will ideally fill in the off-axis sound---giving a fairly seemless soundstage. I am sure the Silver series has a horizontal center channel that will match your vertical Silver 8's.

Now you can go broke happily :-)

G.DawG
The Pioneer WILL drive a 4ohm load(just to let you know)My rear speakers are 4ohm an it drives them fine.(just remember the switch on the back)I wouldnt recomend the m80's not because of the way they sound, but the impedance, remember they wont stay at 4ohm all frequencies they may drop to as low as 2 ohms, and THAT is when the Pioneer will shut down. Good luck with the Monitors!And hope everything goes fine!

Jeff Plous
What switch on the back? The 45tx has you adjust the ohms with the remote...

ANyway maybe I wasnt clear on my questions... Ill make a list :)
1. Even tho my center channel I have is from a yamaha bookshelf system should I still plug it in?

2. I hooked my rear speakers (the fronts from the bookshelf system) up as the surrounds which in the diagram would be the sides... In MCACC when they were hooked up as rear surrounds they tripped an error that said fix speakers?

3. What frequency should I have the crossover on my powered sub set at?

4. Should I set my fronts to small as some people have suggested?

5. Since I have stadium seating (2 rows of couches) where should I put the mic for surround...

6. Is there a good wya to hook my sony wega up to the reciever for watching digital cable, or should I hook the cable box up to the reciever? If so anyone know which outs to you?

If I have any others Ill post em :)
Thanks yall
Jeff

G-Man
Are these Yamaha speakers inexpensive ones from a "Yammy" micro system? If so, they might be inadequate for this purpose. The only other reason I could imagine is that you have them plugged into the wrong jacks on the receiver.

I don't know the capability on your subwoofer. For most people with a quality sub I would crossover at 80Hz. If it isn't quality you may try 100 Hz or not use the sub at all since you have good towers in front.

I would put the "mike" where you sit in the centered spot at head level.

I hook my video up to my satellite receiver. I only hook the audio through the receiver. It is a matter of preference.

Jeff Plous
Okay I adjusted everything to be usable for now... Im using the center channel from the old bookshelf system - it seems to gives more detailed voice sounds than without during movies. I also hooked up the old fronts as the rears now.. Actually they are hooked up as the surrounds not the rear surrounds? Does that matter?

Heres my new questions...
Even when watching a movie that is THX certified the reciever still only shows pro logic II. How do I get it to decode in dolby digital or THX?

Also I find when watching a movie its not uncommon to have it cranked to 0 for volume and while that is loud... it doesnt seem over bearing loud... Any thoughts? The highest the volume goes is 12... And I feel like I could go that high and it wouldnt blow me out of the room..

Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
You should connect the extra pair for a 5.1 set-up. Don't connect them for the 7.1 set-up.

Can't you go through the menu and change the format? I can change to most anything on my Pioneer Elite. You need to learn how to use the remote--and you need to read the manual.

On my Pioneer Elite 49txi it can go above or below zero in volume. To me I totally disregard what the receiver says and play it as loud or as soft as I want. I also have an Aragon set-up downstairs and whether it says 0 or 60 makes no difference to me. I play it at the volume I want, unless I hear increased distortion. So far, that has never happened.

Regarding your speakers playing loud, I imagine the MA silver 8's have a far greater loudness capacity than your Yammy's. It is possible your Yammy's may break up way before the MA 8's are adversely effected. You don't have an ideally matched speaker system. Just be aware of speaker distortion and if you hear any---back off on the volume.

Jeff Plous
So if I chage the rears from surrounds to rear surrounds I should be able to decode in digital and thx and all that crap?
Thanks
Jeff

G-Man
You have a 5.1 set-up. The speakers should be connected accordingly. The manual will tell you which outputs to use. It is quite possible that different manufacturers tell you to hook things up differently.

I am sure the manual tells you whether to use the rear surrounds or not for 5.1

G-Man
On my remote I switch to main speaker set-up and then I am able to cycle through various play back modes in addition to delays and other effects.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us