Nad c520 / c541i mains transformer

Username: Sca

Bradford, West yorkshire England

Post Number: 1
hi, i'm new to this forum, i'm in search for any info on the nad C541i cd player. i'm looking to buy one with a faulty mains transformer but i also have a damaged C520 with the transformer still in working order. i'm aware that the C541i has a toroidal transformer and the C520 has a conventional transformer. i'm just wondering if i can fit the conventional transformer from the C520 into the C541i? and are the voltages / connectors the same? will i need to make any modifications ect? thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 514
Shaun, if you don't have much experience digging into the power supplies, I'd recommend leaving it to a repair shop. I don't think many on this end of the forum will have the specifics on these models or want to guide someone through, who doesn't have much experience with doing this...fire, shocks etc.

Username: Sca

Bradford, West yorkshire England

Post Number: 2
thanks george but i have 16 years exsperience in hifi/av repair but i now do it as an hobby and just wanted some sort of info before purchasing the cd player as i don't have both players to compare. as i have a damaged player, it would be a shame to pass up a C541i if i had a transformer that would work it. thanks again.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11387
Dude, not to berude, but with the mileage, you must be able to match output voltages. You can match winding resistane and capacitence with your meter, do a soak performance test with a megger and pretty much match it out.
BUT, the thing was changed for a reason, from model to model.

The torroidal supply is pretty much a given upbuild in this range and time.

Other torroids will deliver the same voltages, it's just a matter of soak and recover time, max heat, and mostly vibration and ancillory noise from a torroid.

Pick and coose, man, and go to DIYaudio.com for goodies.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 519
Nuck, most of that was all Greek to me. I'm glad there are technicians around. LOL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us