Help On reciever and spkrs first timer

Alex
Hello everyone this is a fantastic site, I wanted help on deciding which reciever and amp to buy i would also appreciate help on buying a big TV or projecter or HDTV my budget is around 10000-15000 $ as i have been saving money from last 5 yrs to buy. Pls help as now i am really eager and excited to buy.I have large room which will be used only for the HT.

Thanx

Alex
still waiting for replies

Max
Hello,
Well it's a tough choice with that much money to spend. I recommend for receivers you check out some really nice Harmon/Kardon's or some top of the line Nad's. For speakers take a look at the Rega line,the Galante symphony, or Duevel bella luna or venus. These are some high-end speakers that should fit the bill.
Max

G-Man
There is a site--reliableaudiovideo.com that has very good pricing on the top of the line Pioneer Elite AV receiver 49txi at $2,695 (list $4200) and on the top of the line Pioneer Elite DVD player 47ti that is an SACD/DVD-Audio universal player @ $595 (list $1200). These connect via a fire cable that is included.

Another good combination would be the B & K AVR507 at $3195 (MSRP $4K) at elegantaudiovideo.com and the universal SACD/DVD-Audio player-the Denon 2900 @ $819, both at the reliableaudiovideo.com site.

And a great way to have wonderful performance with separates at a reasonable price is OutlawAudio.com They have a 200 watt per channel into 7 channels amplifier at $1,799 and the same amp at 100 watts for $899. To complement this they offer a great AV pre-amp, the 950
onsale @ $799. Now cosmetically it isn't drop dead gorgeous like the Pioneer Elite, but it looks fine and gets the best performance of anything at its price level. Can't be beat in the world of separates at a combination price for the 200 watt amp at $2600 or the 100 watt amp combo at an amazing $1700. And even though it has good bass management for SACD/DVD-Audio, it offers the best digitally processed bass management with an extra module for $249.

The speakers very much depend upon personal taste and the size of your room. We would need to know the room dimensions before making any sensible recommendations. Paradigm Reference Studio's, Monitor Audio Gold Reference's, Definitive Technology (the top end is very good for rather large rooms, and there are quite a few other excellent set-ups.

Also, would need to know your tv monitor preferences and the size you want. There are rear projection sets (that are LCOS, DLP, LCD, and CRT lenses--from 40" to over 67"), direct CRT screens (the smallest of the group, but the brightest picture--from 34"-40", Plasma screens (from 37" to over 60"--generally rather expensive for true HDTV), and of course projectors with a screen--also fairly expensive (and most don't do well except in a dark room, but in the dark they are the best and can show the biggest picture)

Max
Hey,
Yeah g-man is right, we do need some more info to give better recomendations. I truly think with that bugdet you should give the speakers I mentioned a look! If you have trouble locating them just ask.
Max

Hawk
Alex:

I am truly envious. I salute your thrifty habits which allow you to do this now.

TV: I strongly suggest you check out the Samsung HLN507 DLP rear projection TV. The DLP technology is unbelievably good and the picture is absolutely stunning--better than most plasmas I have seen and it only cost $3999 (MSRP--can be had for a little less). They have a 63", too, but I haven't seen it and don't know the price. I am getting the 50" after a lot of shopping.

Receiver: NAD 762 (MSRP $1299--can be had for about $1K). Does everything you need and gives you absolutely gorgeous sound that will make you sit up in your chair it is so good. If you are willing to consider separates, get the Outlaw Audio 950/7100 combo which cost $1598.

Speakers: I love three different systems and highly recommend each of them. Speakers are a matter of personal taste, so you may like one or two, but not the the third, or whatever. Go listen to them if you can and see what you think:

1. Magnepan Home Theater (my personal favorite) - MSRP $6115. See review here:

http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20030801.htm

Now, this system does not have a subwoofer, but you can easily add a Hsu Research VTF-2 for $499, available directly from www.hsuresearch.com. You can alspo save a little money by getting the MG 1.6s for the mains instead of the 3.6s (I think about $750) without compromising the sound.

2. Dynaudio Audience Home Theater - MSRP of $5885. See review here:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/dynaudio_audience_82_122c_42w_sub30a.htm

3. Monitor Audio Silver Series Home Theater System - MSRP of $5529, but can be had for $4475. See review here:

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/monitoraudiosilver/index.html

All told, these can be purchased for about $11-12,000, well within your budget. It will also be the talk of your friends for years to come. Good luck!

ALEX
Hello everyone i atleast want a viewing screen of 60 inches but i would love to get a one bigger than it but the problem is that i dont know the which company is selling large TV and i also want the TV to digital so i get top performance, regarding my room size i exactly do not know the dimension of my room but i can tell u that its a large room i especially got made for HT and plus its sound proof so size of speakers does not matter to me as long as i get good sound,I mostly like to watch movies and yes do tell me which one is the best DVD player around are the DVD recorders any good, Pls can u give me links to the products u mentioned G MAN
Thanks

Anonymous
Alex

Check out Rotel's line of receivers.
RSX-1065 costs about $2000 and can be bought only from an authorized brick and mortar dealer.

Here is a review

I personally feel the Rotel sounds better than the NAD (sorry Hawk) but its a matter of personal taste.

Good Luck

Alex
I checked out the MG 3.6 Hawk i must say i loved them i fell in love with their looks and the Dyna audio are also great with great review can u tell me tell a very good sub to go with MG 3.6 though i will try and get to hear the sound of all of them Hawk,Any suggestions from u max and g man about high end spkrs

Alex
Hey will it be better if i purchase a 6.1 or 7.1 setup and how about seperate amp ,preamp, tuner , recievers would it make the reception and sound any better or would it only complicate thing

Thanx

Alex
how is pioneer DV Ax 10 for dvd player can anyone suggest how is it http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/piondvaxnewi.html

Max
Hello,
Well for seperates you will have to talk to Hawk and G-man about that. Well the 6.1/7.1 pretty much depends on if you have room for it or not. I still use 5.1 so again, Hawk or G-man can give you more info about that too. Do you want speakers that will go really loud and powerful or are you looking for pristine sound reproduction? This one has both quality's
Here it is guys the BELLA LUNA
http://www.cd-konzert.de/Produkte/Ebellaluna.htm
This is true high end here but these will run you about 6000$ that might be a little much.
What do you think of these Hawk, G-man?
Max

Hawk
Alex:

If you loved the looks of the 3.6s, wait until you hear the sound. There is absolutely nothing like them and I think they are the best sounding speaker I have ever heard, the $80,000 JMlabs Grand Utopias notwithstanding.

1. Look at the Samsung 61" DLP rear projection, the HLN617W. It is only about 12-14" deep, so it isn't like the old rear projections that weigh 200 lbs. and stick out from the wall a good 25-30". Same as the HLN507W I told you about, but in a bigger screen. Again, it is the best picture out there today (who knows what will come out later, but you have already waited 5 years).

2. Several good subs. Check out the Hsu Research VTF-3 for $849 at www.hsuresearch.com. Also check out the Velodyne SPL-1000. You should also look into the SVS subs, also available online at http://www.svsubwoofers.com/. Both the Hsu and SVS products are considered to be among the best subs out there, as is the Velodyne SPL series. Each have a lot of very loyal customers.

3. Separates can sound much better than most receivers. I personally always recommend separates whenever the budget goes above $1500. At that level, you can get the Outlaw Audio separates ($1598 for the 950/7100 combo) which are better than any receiver, IMHO. If you go for separates, the costs go up, but generally, so does the sound quality. Check out the Outlaw combo at www.outlawaudio.com.

4. I have never been impressed with this "more is better" philosophy on how many channels one has to have. Since there is no format for 6.1 or 7.1 sound that is a discrete format, these additional channels are matrixed (that is, they take the front and rear speakers and sum them to make an additional channels). It is so crazy, that Yamaha just introduced a 9.1 receiver! It is more about who has the biggest d*** than anything else as 5.1 is all that you need. I think more channels only complicate things and it does not improve the sound, IMO.

5. I think the Pioneer unit is very beautiful to look at, but wildly over-priced for what it is. A better unit that does exactly the same thing (actually a bit better as it uses better DACs) is the Denon 2900. Check it out here:

http://elegantaudiovideo.com/dendvd2900.htm

Just a thought . . .

Max
Hello,
Yeah you really cant go wrong with maggies.
I actually would recommend maggies over anything mentioned above, even the Duevels. Yeah I also agree with the 6.1 thing, I am just fine with 5.1.
So narrowing it down like that will make it less confusing for you. Magnepan with outlaw audio components is your best bet and you will have money left over too!
Max

Alex
hey after reading reviews and recomendations from u ppl i am more or less decided on Maggies 3.6 but now the sub is left I am thinking about these sub any suggestions friends http://www.hsustore.com/tn-1220-500.html
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_b4_plus.htm
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_plus.htm

now about outlaw audio since i am not much of a technical person its u guys who have to decide for me if u say outlaw i will get it or if u have better options then i am open for them also as of now i am more or less decided on maggies and one of these subs though i am leaning more towards svs ones but u guys are the experts so again its ur advice i will take bcoz tommorow i will be ordering the maggies and the suggested sub and maybe if i like samsung 61" DLP rear projection, HLN617W i will also order that . Pls fprgive my curiosity are there bigger Tvs than 61" available out there
Thanx Hawk for introducing me to maggies
if it requires i can shell out 2-3 thousand more than my budget bcoz i want it to be almost perfect
since i have waited for 5 yrs with patience saved money like a miser for the day when i have a great ht better than some of the theaters

Max
Hello,
Hsu is very highly recommended. So is Svs.
I like the vtf-3 from Hsu. Hawk and G-man can give there insight on that too. Yes you are going to have a Great set-up! no need to go to the theaters anymore!! Music will be sounding better than ever too!
Max
P.S. I think I heard of a 65inch TV but I might be wrong?

John A.
I like to contribute here if I can, but all can say on this one is "Wow". But let me underline; Hawk and G-Man have a consistent record of giving excellent advice. And welcome, Max. I would consider their recommendations very seriously, and be very wary of most showroom salesmen. I myself have been hoping to see TV recommendations here, so thanks.

Yes, get top-quality audio for 5.1 and there is nothing the future will bring to displace it with more channels. If it does, the matrixed 6.1, 7.1 etc. will be gone, anyway. Don't worry at all about complexity of separates especially if they come from one maker such as Outlaw; they will be made for each other. BTW I hear only great things about REL subwoofers, very high end www.rel.net; that is all they make, and subs are a game on their own.

Good luck, Alex!

DWK
A little bit of TV advice here.

Since you have money to burn, do not get a plasma or tube based set, as they both have a tendancy to burn in over time. Plasmas are currently very bad about this. Go either DLP, LCoS or LCD.

I personally reccomend DLP. There aren't very many LCoS sets out yet, and because of the way LCDs work they tend to rapidly lose visibility as you move to the side..

DLP rear projection sets aren't quite as thin as LCDs and Plasmas, but they can get a small as 2-3'. Front projectors are also very nice, and the bulbs tend to have about a 2000 hour lifetime; That's over a year of heavy viewing.

Max
Hello,
Thank you John! I checked out the Rel website and they look great as well. Give them a look too Alex. Good luck with your system, its gonna be great.
Max

G-Man
The Maggies are a great choice if you have the room for them. They aren't very directional, but they sound excellent. I would start off with one HSU VTF-3 for $849 direct from HSU. You can always add another later if you want even more OOMPH, but it is a great subwoofer that can play loud or soft at very low distortion and can easily do this at 20 Hz. I believe the people at HSU have a lot of experience with hooking them up with Maggies---go speak to them and get their advice---straight from the horses mouth, as it were:-)

I know a wealthy surgeon that uses both a Samsung 61" rear projection tv and a front projection with screen that lowers over the 61" tv. It is an amazing set-up. The reason he does this is because the front projection only looks great when the room is dark or only slightly lit and the 61" looks very good under any situation. So he watches movies and major sporting events with the front projection and the news and other things when the room is more well lit.

Hawk, did you mean the Pioneer Elite 49txi is overpriced or the DVD 47ti? Heck, the DVD player at a price in the $600+ range is the second least expensive universal player that exists and works excellently with the ilink (firewire) with the 49txi. I would say the Denon 2900 is somewhat better--and I own both. I have the Pioneers "mated" upstairs and the Denon with my Aragon separates downstairs in a big living room--about 25 feet X 35 feet. I think if one buys the 49txi there is a wonderfully synergistic relationship in performane with the 47ti that more than compensates. But as Alex is getting the Maggies I would go for separates such as the Outlaws and the Denon. Not to say there aren't a lot more expensive separates, but other then cosmetic improvements and miniscule and probably inaudible aspects they don't merit a lot of conversation unless you want to "bust" your budget. The Aragon
7 channel amp with the Aragon Stage One preamp are both built great, amazing looking, come with a Philips preprogrammed Pronto remote, but are expensive. The Bryston's are probably the best amps available from an engineering and build quality viewpoint, but they are even more expensive. In a cost almost being no object scenario the Bryston 200 watt 7 channel mated with a top of the line Lexicon A/V preamp would be the cat's meow---but you'd end up spending at least 10K+ for just those items.Hardly leave a budget for anything else.

At this price range it is silly not to go for 7.1 regardless of whether there is little discrete software for it now. Alex has a large room designed and soundproofed for HT and even a matrixed 6th and 7th speaker would spread the soundfield nicely, whether Alex does it now or later. Almost every major manufacturer makes 7.1 in receivers and in separates. If the room is big enough it most definitely is a plus--maybe not huge, but a plus nonetheless. All the great separate manufacturers make 7 channel amps for this reason. Because of this it will motivate many engineers to record both movies and music with discrete channels eventually. Of course they will be backward compatible to 5.1, so if one has the 7.1 capability but doesn't want to buy the two extra speakers now, they can do so at a later date. It costs only nominally more to have 7.1

I use 5.1 with my 7.1 Pioneer and Monitor Audio GR10's upstairs and that system is great. But I can't readily fit 2 extra speakers in the set-up.
Downstairs since my room is so much larger the 7.1 makes far more sonic sense to fill in the surround soundstage. I prefer the upstairs set-up, but for reasons that have nothing to do with 5.1 versus 7.1

Just a few thoughts---

Hawk
Alex:

The Maggies are a 4 ohm speaker, so you have to go with either an NAD 762 receiver or quality separates like the Outlaws. For your situation (room size plus speakers) I would now suggest the 950 pre/pro with the 755 amp (200 wpc x 5). The sound is great, either way. If you get the Outlaws, order the Outlaw interconnects, too.

Right now, I am unaware of any larger set using the DLP technology. I am aware of larger sets, but the picture isn't half as good as they are merely standard rear projections. There is no "Wow" factor, unlike the DLPs. T new LCoS technology, which is very similar to DLP, may have something larger, but I am unaware of it. Go see a Samsung DLP set and see what you think. I really don't think you could do better. DWK has a very good point about burn-in problems with plasma sets.

As for the subwoofer, I think any of the subs you reference are going to work just fine with your system. A lot of it has to do with which one works in your room--I think it just comes down to a personal preference--perhaps you like a finish on one (e.g., such as the Rosewood finish on the Hsu VTF-3R) or the dimensions on another fit your room better. Sonically, you are really splitting hairs as all of these units are superb and among the best subs out there. You just can't go wrong with any of them.

By the way, once you get this assembled, you are going to invite us over, aren't you? Cheers!

John A.
By the way, Alex, don't forget NAD does separates, too: with hi-fi, that is all they used to do. Receivers were always a compromise, once, and NAD was for serious and discerning folk, not for people with more money than sense. That is still their market niche, I think. NAD HT separates' spec on paper is mouth-watering, quite comparable with Outlaw, and I cannot imagine they fail to deliver. See their web page. You also get into names like Tag MacClaren, but I know nothing, I am not in that target marketing group.
Unfortunately.

G-man, you obviously know about subs, have you got anything on REL?

I absolutely do not wish to hi-jack this fine thread, but if anyone can BRIEFLY direct me to a glossary for terms like DLP (+/= "rear projection"?), LCoS etc. I will be grateful and maybe others will too. [Off topic, do not respond: I had a small Sony trinitron CRT TV for years and it was good, but the newer, larger one is rubbish and is visibly burning out, also not widescreen. Personally I close my eyes and listen, but the family...].

G-Man
I have heard a couple of different REL's. At the $500 down to about $350 the HSU VTF-2 and the PSB subsonic 5 sound a lot smoother than the REL Quake. I like the REL's when you get to the ultra expensive subwoofers---but the price is pretty much insane--paying over $3K and up to 5K for a subwoofer is kinda OUCH!!! But if someone wants to give me a present I will be happy. But after you get passed the HSU VTF-3 at $849, the law of dimishing returns starts to rear it's ugly head dramatically.

Believe me--there must be hundreds of quality subwoofers I haven't heard. But of the audiophile friends I have had when I lived in NYC and now in Charleston, SC I have never heard subwoofers (other than some SVS models) that are under $1k that made me re-assess my position that you can't go wrong with the HSU's. Afterall, if the HSU fits, wear it :-) badabump!!!

Max
Hello,
Yeah G-man recommended I check out HSU and now I am getting the vtf-2 for 499$. I am so excited I can't wait. I like Svs and Rels look good too, but the HSU products seem to be the best "bang for the buck". I like the Outlaw stuff and I would also recommend Outlaw.

G-Man
Digital Light Processing is the world's only all-digital display solution. This technology uses an optical semiconductor, known as the Digital Micromirror Device, or DMD chip to recreate source material. The second generation chipsets made mainly by Texas Instruments consists of thousands of tiny mirrors--each mirror representing each pixel.

Generally, DLP is a better technology for home theatre than LCD . Some of the more home theatre-oriented projectors have virtually no halo effect.

Samsung uses this technology in their top of the line rear projection receivers. There are other companies that use this technology in front projectors on screen set-ups.

LCoS is Liquid Crystal on Silicon. You could think of it as a hybrid between LCD and DLP. LCD uses liquid crystals, one for each pixel, on glass panels. Light passes through these LCD panels on the way to the lens and is modulated by the liquid crystals as it passes. Thus it is a "transmissive" technology. On the other hand, DLP uses tiny mirrors, one for each pixel, to reflect light. DLP modulates the image by tilting the mirrors either into or away from the lens path. It is therefore a "reflective" technology.

LCOS combines these two ideas. It is a reflective technology that uses liquid crystals instead of individual mirrors. In LCOS, liquid crystals are applied to a reflective mirror substrate. As the liquid crystals open and close, the light is either reflected from the mirror below, or blocked. This modulates the light and creates the image.

LCOS technology is usually very high resolution, and typically much higher in price than most LCD and DLP products. Generally LCOS machines begin to appear in the SXGA (1365x1024) resolution class and higher. So by definition they are not cheap.

Probably because of price, LCD and DLP technologies get a lot more attention than LCoS. However, many well-informed videophiles seeking the most elegant home theater solutions opt for products using LCOS technology (in both front projection and rear projection)because of its unique blend of performance characteristics that neither LCD nor DLP offer.

LCOS projectors have several key advantages over the more popular technologies. First, due partly to inherent high resolution, and partly to high fill factors (minimal space between pixels) on the chips, visible pixelation on an LCOS machine is nonexistent. Even close up the pixel structure is less visible than you get with the high resolution 1280x720 DLP Mustang chip. So the resulting video image can be smooth as silk.

Second, with LCOS the pixel edges tend to be smoother compared to the sharp edges of the micro-mirrors in DLP. This gives them an analog-like response, whereas micro-mirrors add high frequencies that accentuate their digital nature. In practical terms, this gives the LCOS image a smoother, more natural look and feel, while DLP tends to impart a synthetic sharpness to the image that some would describe as harsh. (On the other hand, some people prefer the sharper image that DLP delivers. This is a matter of personal taste.)

Third, LCOS and LCD projectors deliver continuous red, green and blue simultaneously onto the screen. Single-chip DLPs deliver color sequentially, alternating between red, green, and blue one color at a time. Though DLP projectors can be capable of delivering rich, well saturated colors, both LCOS and LCD products tend to be superior in this regard. We believe this is due to the way color is managed sequentially in the DLP machines.

Fourth, the absence of a color wheel means there is no chance of you or anyone you invite into your theater being bothered by rainbow artifacts, eye-strain, or headaches that some people can be susceptible to when viewing single-chip DLP projectors. This is normally not a problem for most users of DLP products. And the more expensive high-end DLP systems have higher speed color wheels that further reduce these side effects as well as the percentage of the population that are bothered by them. But the lack of a color wheel in an LCOS projector eliminates the problem entirely.

The primary weakness of LCOS technology is contrast. Currently most LCOS products are rated in the range of 500:1 to 800:1. So they do not have the contrast performance that most DLP products are able to achieve. The use of the new high contrast screen materials helps offset this weakness to some degree. And if there is indirect ambient light in the viewing space, the differences in contrast become much less of an issue.

Many LCOS projectors (front and rear)also have limited lamp life in the 1000 to 1500 hour range. And on certain models lamp replacements can be much more expensive than they typically are with LCD or DLP projectors.

I think Toshiba makes a 57" LCoS set. But i costs around 10K--OUCH!!.

I may wait for the next generation DLP's or wait until LCoS prices come down. And all 3 technologies: LCD, DLP, and LCoS are available in both front and rear projection set-ups.

G-Man
Right on Max!! Congratulations on your new "pair of HSU's" minus one shoe :-)

And right again you are on the Outlaw Audio separates.

Max
Hello,
Hey g-man will you look at my post called
"2 small questions" it will be quick. By the way is that how HSU is pronounced "shoe"?
Max

Max
Hello,
Oh yeah I will also post once I get my new vtf-2 and let you know how much I love becuase I know I will!!! Thanks again g-man,
Max

Alex
Hello everyone i ordered the Samsung 61" DLP and maggies 3.6 and svs PB2-Plus sub
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_plus.htm after listening i made two choices the above one and the SVS B4-Plus
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_b4_plus.htm but i ordered the pb2 ofcourse i can change it if i want any suggestions
and yes i also ordered the outlaw audio 950 pre/pro with model 770(200wpc)7 channel amp now just a good dvd player is left though i have basic sony DVD player i want good one,Now any more suggestions as i bought everything with u ppls help as did not know much about these equipments.THANX TO HAWK,G MAN,MAX and everyone and three cheers to all of u ppl, Now when everything is compleate within a 2-3 days i will buy some DVDS any suggestions on that also

THANX

Hawk
PARTY IS ON, at Alex's house!

That system is going to be soooo good once he gets it set up!

Alex:

I can appreciate your desire to get a great DVD player and get up and running, but let me tell you a little secret. Your new Samsung has a DVI port on the back which is a little known secret in high quality TV. This is very new, but the advantage of the DVI connections is that it presents the monitor with an all digital signal (it does not get converted to analog before it gets to the TV, which then has to convert it back to digital--which is what happens with an s-video or component video signal). Nothing gets lost since there are no conversion steps to analog and back. The difference can be startling. Quoting the May 2003 issue of Sound & Vision which was reviewing a budget DVD player with a DVI output, ". . .the Bravo D1 delivered perfect picture geometry and superb conversion of the interlaced video on DVDs to progressive scan format . . . . Thanks to the DVI output, the Bravo D1 delivers reference-quality DVD images for only $200." Needless to say, they were very impressed. A DVI connection provides better picture quality than even a component video connection.

Wait until Christmas or just after the first of the year and you will see a lot of new DVD players with the DVI connection come out. It is worth waiting for.

valeem
Hawk:

You lucky guys have all the best toys. The spoon feeders on this side of the pond have only recently started us on component video.

Alex
Thanks HAWK
U bet party will be on,How did u like my choice on the sub
Ok i will wait until christmas as of now i have the sony dvd player to use, and yes do tell which dvd movies to buy now and also some dvd audios

Thanks

John A.
Alex. Congratulations. What a wonderful system!

G-Man. Thank you for opinion on REL. Even their cheapest Quake model is expensive by normal standards. You seem to have this market truly sussed out.

G-Man again. And THANK YOU SO MUCH for that superb introduction to the new display technologies. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I have printed it out. I went to the Samsung site and found nothing like that. If people would just explain acronymes and abbreviations, as you do, we would begin to get somewhere. Consumer electronics is riddled with the bad old habit of BBB ("Bullshit Baffles Brains").

Hawk. DVI is new to me too. Very good to know. I am sure I am not alone. Thank you.

Valeem. Amen! Let's move to the US. Somewhere there must be a thread on DVD "Regionalization" which is a massive protection racket that would be the envy of Al Capone. I talk to region 1 people and they don't even know it exists.

All. Thank you. Sorry again for pulling your thread off topic. But the comments are a goldmine of sense.

Back on track. Alex, when is the demonstration?! Great stuff. See the thread What's the best DVD to test my new system. Please be sure to post back with how you get on.

Max
Hello,
Well Alex I know of one great all around test Dvd and its called Titan AE. Its an animated movie but its dts soundtrack is amazing and it will show the true power of your sub. Of course Lord of the rings 1 and 2 are good for testing. Saving private Ryan has alot of great sound effects as well.
My favorite sub test scene is in U-571 where the depth charges are exploding, its great.
Max

Hawk
Alex:

I love the sub! I do not exaggerate in the least when I say you are building my dream system.

DVDs: I agree with "Saving Private Ryan" and the two "Lord of the Rings" installments. I also love "Ronin" for this purpose as the conversations in the chase scenes were recorded in the car, not in a studio later. On a good system, you can hear everything. Also directed by John Frankenheimer, so you know it is a good movie.

Alex
Awesome that is the only thing i have to say about the system ,me and my friends were simply blown away by the sound and while watching lord of the rings we were almost scared out when the men in dark horses came after frodo all it was like we in the jungle ourselves,also the bass the sub produced was superb, great i love it and its all been possible bcoz of of u guys,I will be getting the Ronin,TITAN AE and Saving Private Ryan DVD as already have Lord of the Rings set,By the way Hawk,MAX,G MAN where are u from if u ppl are from nearby then i can invite u guys over and we will definately have a party,also do give me ur mail ids as i would like to friends with great guys like u

PS As advised by u i am wiating till Christmas for new DVD players to out

Thanx again

John A.
In Fellowship of the Ring, there are some great effects when people get tempted by the ring, like Gandalf, Galadriel. Their voices get spread over all channels, and are no longer coming from the physical person. When they get over it, the focus comes back. Cool. BTW I spotted my first DLP display today, an LE 51". Thanks for the education, all.

Max
Hello,
Yeah Ronin is an awesome movie too. You have a great system Alex, congrats. I live in Minneapolis Minnesota and my e-mail is anneraymer@cs.com. Feel free to mail me anytime.
Oh theres another dvd I forgot, its called Event Horizon, it has some very strong bass. When you watch Titan Ae just remember to listen close during the icicle scene, you will know it when you see it{and hear it}..Again, congrats on a superb system and I am glad you like it,
Max

G-Man
Alex--Congrats on your new set-up.

I am an ex-patriot NY-er. I moved my high purity chemical business from NY to the Charleston, SC area in 1995. I have been living here since--about 1 mile from the ocean, which is still a nice 79 degrees.

I love most everything here except the politics and the fairly sizable quotient of religious nuts and bible thumpers. Thankfully there are enough intelligent and culturally sophisticated locals and "carpetbaggers" that allow me to mostly avoid the BS :-).

Now I will have to buy an HDTV myself--I have been putting it off for a long time. I have the money, but I have no idea what I want. I think I may go for the Samsung too.

Alex
G MAN
Thanks i love the system, And yes u will love the samsung DLP as its very good,

Alex
Hello everyone just dropped in to say hello to u ppl tommorow i am have a party at my house and my friends are asking me to play a movie for them any suggestions among the new movies on DVD which will blow them off
Thanks

Max
Hello,
Wow thats a tough one....Star wars is a good candidate, as well as either Lord of the Rings. Saving private Ryan is good too because the action is pretty fast paced...
Max
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us