Pre-amp options

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1660
I'm really leaning towards buying a Bryston pre-amp for my 2-channel system. What other options do you guys think I should think about? So far the only other option I'm considering is a McIntosh. Anything else?

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 260
Hey Dave, have you heard much on Conrad-Johnson. I've heard that they make a nice pre-amp. If you're looking Mc you may want to consider CJ, as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Scratch that one Dave. It doesn't appear CJ has done much recently and no real suppliers up here. I've heard about them indirectly though others using some of their gear but never looked into them - not much to find. I was just throwing it out as a consideration. Oh well.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11040
rogue magnun 99 is a great tube pre, with headphone out and phoho that works very very well.

Mike W has one that is great.

Beyond going up the Bryston ladder, this tube pre is very highly regarded.

BP25 for a Bryston preamp?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2059
I am on the look for a BP20. It is the BP25 without the remote and can be had used for about 400-500 less than the BP25.

Dave, you know where I stand buddy. With all those sweet Bryston power amps you have, there is only one way to go man. Used Bryston Pre Amp. The amount that it will open up your music and the speed...will blow you away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2060
Although the Rogue Magnum 99 sure is sweet. I am just coming from a Synergy stand point.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1662
I know where you're coming from Nick. I'm still very partial to Bryston. Been hard to find used on CAM and Agon lately, though.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1501
Dave, have you done any comparisons with a tube pre-amp versus solid state? I do not think Bryston has a tube pre-amp.

I did listen to both and found having a tube pre-amp feeding a solid state amp gives me a balance to my sound that I thoroughly enjoy. Others may have different experiences.

I also had the latest MAC pre-amp, the C2200 in my kit for a weekend. While it was marginally better than my Rogue it would not have been worth it at the price point. Since then Mark O'Brien worked with me in upgrading my tubes. He personally tested and balanced a set of Tung Sol tubes, 6SN7s and 12AX7s, even going as far as labeling each tube box as to what socket to insert it in the Magnum 99 pre-amp.

Outstanding product, even better service, and with the new tubes, it is not leaving my system.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1502
I should have identified that Mark O'Brien is the CEO of Rogue Audio. More than your average every day engineer!

Bronze Member
Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 77
David,
I'm very happy with my combination Brystson BP25 pre and 3bsst amp.
The balanced connection really opened up everything for me - my biggest limitation now is the 683's.
I had considered Classe or even a Monarchy Audio M24 (preamp and dac), but went with the Bryston instead.

I ran the 3bsst with an NAD C372 as pre for several weeks - had to use the preamp 2 option turned down a bit otherwise it was too much gain - loud but grainy/harsh.
I ran the bp25/3bsst unbalanced for a couple of weeks before getting the xlr cables and was not excited about the combination.
Now I get mid and treble outside speaker placement - much larger soundstage and 'sweet spot'. I don't have to sit in the perfect triangle to get the larger soundstage effect.

Something Jan said on a post - you can try the used Bryston with good remaining warranty with no risk. You can always sell it.

Keep your eyes on the used market.. you'll find one.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7973
Audio Research.

I have two friends with AR preamps and they sound fantastic.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11041
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1230562078&/Bryston-bp25da-pream p/dac

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1663
Thanks for the replys guys. That's interesting info snapcat. One thing that's a must in my next pre is balanced outs. I'm really interested in hearing my Bryston monos through balanced connections.

I saw that one Nuck. I'm tempted...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1665
Just bought a Bryston BP-20.

C'mon Nick, let's hear it!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7978
Congrats David.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3080
Great find Dave. Let us know how it goes.

27 minutes, and still waiting for it from Nick...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2061
THAT A boy DAVE!!!. Sweet stuff man. The BP-20 is a great Pre Amp. You will nut one when you hear it.LOL! Nut one as in crack a walnut and salt some beer nuts in celebration.lol Congrats Dave. FB message me with the link if you have one. Cheers.

P.S. It is about F'N! Time!!! lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
A big congrats to you Dave. Gotta get the review when it's all hooked up and running. Good for you!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11047
Can't wait to hear about it Dave!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1666
Thanks guys! This is huge step up for me. I'll let ya know when I get it.

Nick: I FB'ed ya already.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3081
BOING!!!

I think that's what you were waiting for Nick to say.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1668
That's it.

Thanks Stu

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 55
Congrats! Love the Bryston sound (or lack thereof). My B60 shares some of the same circuitry but not the balanced outs. Should sound sweet, and it gives you reason to spend more $$ on new cables, which is always a good thing.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11051
Will the balanced cables be Blue Jeans, David?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1669
I think so Nuck. Anything else I should try?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3082
Try Bryston cables -

http://bryston.com/xlr.html

I'm pretty sure the cables are OEMed for Bryston by someone else. I think they just terminate them. Maybe ask who makes them, if they're available direct by their maker for cheaper, and how they sound on the Bryston Circle?

They may be a custom Belden cable.

There's a pair on the 'Gon right now -
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1230324368&/Bryston-XLR-Cables-3 -pair

Bronze Member
Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 78
Congrats Dave! Great find.

I have Blue Jeans XLR Belden 1800F. I think that Bryston cables used to be the Canare type. I bought the Belden type based on the lower capacitance (after reading some discussion on capacitance and high frequency). I didn't think that extra noise rejection was needed for a short run (Canare type). I chose this based on my unexciting RCA/unbalanced experience that I mentioned above. I made the right choice (or at least a good enough choice).

However......... I have been toying around with getting some DH Labs BL-1 balanced cables. I've been happy with the Q-10 speaker cables. Not sure if it's worth the extra $. Just tweaking...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11052
I am running Zu and an off brand cables in the Classe.
Never tried any others, as I have not really had a chance to set the rig up in a way that I want to yet.
Once in place I will try a few out, for sure.

Bronze Member
Username: The_mofo

Post Number: 14
Adcom 565 if you can find one.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 363
All cabling in my system is from BlueJeans with 1 exception....
I went to Guitar Center and picked up a set of Mogami Balanced for CD->AMP.
An inexpensive experiment?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1715
Let us know Leo. I'm in the market for some balanced cables once my Bryston arrives.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us