Tara Labs Prism power cables
Monster Cable HTS 5100 MKII power condition

Any suggestions appriciated!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 304
Arthur, just a few questions for you.

What makes you think your source is the major contributor to the brightness ? Have you swapped out components to see if you notice a difference for the better or worse ? What is your listening room like ? What do you have on the floors ? Walls ? Ceiling ? Furnishings ? Size ?

I went though a similar exercise a while ago so I appreciate the circumstance.

Username: Arturgorniak

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 5
Hello Chris,
Here is my other post where I explained all problems with my system.......
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/483197.html

Thank you for your time,
Arthur

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1286
Arthur, see my post in your other thread. No need to run two threads for the same thing.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2924
My colleagues had the Spendor range in the shop to evaluate. There wasn't a single nice thing they could say about the S5es. They admitted that the rest were better but just could not see the allure. Needless to say we declined the opportunity to stock them on this basis. It really had y colleagues wndering why the S5es were getting such rave reviews. Have you had a word with a Spendor dealer? They may be able to help.

My understanding is that the S5e is fairly difficult to drive. This could cause the brightness. If the amp is struggling to drive them, they could shriek at you. Try either a different set of speakers or a ballsier amplifier that copes well with awkward loads such as an NAD or Densen. Don't go near Naim (we're Naim dealers).

Sorry, I hope this helps...

Bronze Member
Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 94
I agree with Frank. Bet you even money the Spendors are the main source of your troubles.

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 21
Main difference between the Spendors and those harsh sounding Klipschs is that the Spendors have a more transparent middle range.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10237
Maybe look at tube hybrid players.
Jolida is a low end start, up to Granite and AR.

AR make some fantastic liquid sounding players, and add the tube rolling to boot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
A relatively inexpensive Yamaha player might fill the bill. But make certain the retailer has a generous return policy.

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 10
Nuck,
I am not really convinced to the quality offered by Jolida - does enybody have any experience with Jolida's CDPs?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1142
Jimmy,

I recommend taking a Sony CDP, and 80's onkyo receiver.

pair that with a pair of Bose Acoustimass.

I doubt you'd be able to hear the difference between that and a nice McIntosh component stack driving a pair of B&W 802D's

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1143
that advice was to you and you alone jimmy... or should I say wiley

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6876
My friend who was a Jolida dealer said they had a 150% failure rate. That meant they all failed and some of them twice...that was then and this is now. Another friend just took on the Jolida line...why because he bought a Jolida CD player for his home system (of which Magnepan 3.6's are a part) and loves it. They have only sold a few pieces but as of yet have seen no problems.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1526
150? wowsers. Someone actually beat NAD. Incredible.

Bronze Member
Username: Myself

Post Number: 26
do you have any dolls?

(too many things can be done to make sound warm without changing the gears...no time to talk)

1) the quickest way is to put some "cloth" dolls mid-way in-between the two Loud Speaker(same level)...that will abosrb the unwanted treble and improve the bass with better focus...you should try putting as many dolls as possible...to an extent that there are not enough treble...than reduce it to a level that you like...

2)than add a small wooden thing(best is a cheap violin or guiter, wood vest) to the dolls(that will harden the bass)...repeat the same exercise and test the proportion of wooden and cloth things...

3) when you are satisfied, than add some steel thingies like folks, knief, spoon, bells (same as step 1 and 2 before)...you might hear the reflection of the "ding ding" sound better

4)other things that can be done is to add some "hard wood" wooden spikes to the CD, amp etc...you will immediately hear a warmer sound

5)the reflection from glass wwidow and the ground will also make treble harsh...so thick cloth curtains, carpets should be installed

enjoy

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1293
myself, number 4 above, I use the wooden tiles form a Jenga game exactly for the reasons you subscribe.

I also have a heavy towel over the glass on a cabinet door and an auralex panel in front of the 50" Plasma TV. The TV is on the wide wall for my surround system the stereo speakers are on a short wall perpendicular to the TV.

Just piggy-backing on a couple of your good suggestions. All 5 may be good suggestions, I just have done different things for the first 3 so I have no opinion on those.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
FYI Gavin, or should I say dunce, Sony CD players tend to the bright side. Only you would answer an OP seeking advice on a warm source with a recommnedation for a bright one. Good job Dum Dum.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 315
Tsk, tsk, Jimmy. Better read Gavin's post again. LOL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
No Chris H. Maybe you should since you worship the ground on which he walks. Add it to your Gavin shrine.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 316
Hey Gavin....dude can you spare a lock of your hair and a recent picture. No reason.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 63
I use Spendor S5e's and would not describe them as overly bright, unless the amps driving them do not have the required grip and drive. They are probably the hardest to drive of all the spendor floorstanders. I would however have thought that the creek had enough power and current available to drive them properly. Denon are not normally associated with a bright sound either, although I understand the later ones could sound a little brittle and give overdue emphasis to the mid band and upwards. Why not try and have a listen to a Creek CD player.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 13
Thank you everybody for feedback and suggestions. I am considering couple CDPs:
1. Simaudio Moon CD-1
2.Creek Destiny/classic
3. Rega Saturn
4. Carry CDP 1

I will try to listen to all of them before making final decision.

Colin,
I was thinking about getting Creek A53 power amp and bi-amping my spendors - did you have a chance to listen to this combination?????

Bronze Member

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 64
I have not heard them Bi- amped with creek, but if my experience of having them monoblocked with Rega exons is anything to go by it's well worth investigating.

As an aside, I have a saturn, and the cd player that pushed it as the final choice the was the Ayre.

Bronze Member

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 65
It seems you can nor edit posts, is your room layout still as in the amp thread, if so one option may to to try firing the speakers down the room so you have space between your seat and the rear wall, or at least hang something on the wall behind you. Try toeing the speakers a tad, and if the tweeters on the spens are below ear level, play with the spikes and point the speakers up a little.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1295
Good info for the OP colin

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2930
To edit your posts, edit your profile, then find your latest posts and note that the latest ones can be edited. It's laborious, a pain in the butt, but there you go.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 748
Or just click on the pencil and paper in the upper right corner of your post within 60 minutes of posting.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2952
Arthur,

If you test those CD players in your system and find they all sound similarly bright, this should prove to you that it's not the source which is at fault but something else in the system...

Frank.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 21
It is time to change my CD player anyway. My system amazes me more and more every day.....waiting for Cardas Quadlink interconnects and panels to arrive.......I did some suggested corrections and the HELPED a lot!!!!!! to be honest I think my amp just got burned in.....results outstanding. Maybe now I will understand what all this Creek fuss is about......

I might even considered Creek Destiny CD player.....????

Bronze Member
Username: Myself

Post Number: 30
Simply put: sound is about reflection. If you never ever put some dolls in between the speaker, you would never know how warm can your system sound without paying a cent.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 23
I am just test driving Arcam CD192 and so far I am amazed....(nothing compare to the old Denon CDP) three day weekend ahead....Cardas Quadlinks arrived today....!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6919
Outstanding Arthur...hope it works out.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 25
I need at least couple of weeks to burn my cables in as recommended by George Cardas........I am getting more and more impressed with Arcam's CDP performance and confused at the same time about the difference that source can introduce to the system.......

Username: Oddyo

Canada

Post Number: 3
Some of the nicest I've heard are the Micromega Stage players...Rega and Arcam are nice, too...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us