Rotel CDP

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1270
Looking to round out my Rotel system in the rec room.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Rotel RC-1072? How would you guys compare it to, say, the Cambridge 640C (which I believe is about the same price)?

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 567
As I mentioned in leo's post on CA, I gave away my Azure 640C and bought a RC-1072 and an Apollo.
I tried it with 3 different amps but it normally stays with the Rotel 1070 amp and the Apollo stays with the Mira3. So in the long run I am comparing one set to another combo and different pair of speakers. That makes it impossible to be objective but I enjoy it a lot. I like the Apollo best but the Rotel is very good. With a Rotel amp I would definately go for the 1072.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7484
The 1072 is an excellent player..period. I have an Apollo and an older Rotel CD player. The Rotel's do HDCD like no others I've heard and are just flat out excellent players. At this point I wouldn't buy a CA, too many reported problems.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 321
I have done some 'investigation', including cracking the case on my new 840c, which was the 2nd one delivered DOA. The cause was, in my opinion, SHIPPING. A ribbon connector was pulled up on one end, maybe 2mm, or just enough to break contact.
This guy is Immaculate inside. I have few comparisons, except industrial electronics, but this is beautiful and detailed with good layout, compact, short trace boards and plenty of details.

That being said, my suggestion to use shockwatch (Google, please) was greeted with silence.

Right out of the box, this is a good player. I suspect in 200 or so hours, it'll be terrific. I am comparing it to a well-broken in Demo which I had for about 4 months!!!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2940
Reliability issues and who's to blame aside, both are very good sounding for the money. The both have their strengths and weaknesses. Which is truely better is a preference issue.

That being said, In a Rotel system, a Rotel will win out to most ears. In a Cambridge system, Cambridge will win out just as often.

I like the Rotel better, especially in a Rotel system. Its an excellent CD player. Everyone loved the NAD 542 when we had NAD systems. The 1072 is equally as good IMO. Different sound, but equal in overall sound quality.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7486
Well said Stu...

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10638
I never had any issues with the 1072 in the Rotel kit.
Very fast and accurate player, well suited to Rock.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1733
The RC-1072 is the most sold Rotel piece of all time. That has to say something. People like it.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1273
It's a done deal, then. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1734
David, if you don't mind me asking, what is the price u r paying for the Rotel cdp and where are u getting it?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1276
I was just joking around Nick.

I have no idea how much they even go for. There is a dealer here in Ottawa that sells Rotel gear (that's where I bought my RB-1070).

When I get a price on the CDP I'll let ya know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1735
lol i know bud. I was just asking because the price of it here is like a grand taxes in. If you were going to spend the full price for it, you could spend just a few hundred more and you could check out the Apollo. Although I think the 1070 can be had for like 500 online in some cases.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 570
Yes, today $550 on AudiogoN where I got mine pre worn in.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1277
It makes sense if I'm gonna spend a grand to look at an Apollo.

You're happy with yours, huh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1736
I love my Apollo. Such a fast, grit free player with amazing open clarity in the treble. The 1000 dollar Arcam is another one to check out on the used market as well. I forget the model number now though. Its very nice too. The 1070 is just as good IMO though.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2943
If you're going to spend about $1k, there's an Arcam fmj CD36 on Audiogon for $1200. Being sold by a dealer in Canada. Its an excellent CDP. I've heard it connected to some Bryston seperates, and the combo was excellent. If I'm not mistaken, it was Arcam's top of the line CDP until the fmj CD37 came out. Some dealers don't have the 37 yet; its that new.

Maybe move your present CDP to the Rotel system?

Sorry if I'm spending your money for you.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1222465522

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1279
Don't be sorry, Stu, lol.

I've thought about moving the CA downstairs to the Rotel rig, but all my CD's are right there beside my main system. And besides, I like the look of the 640C with the 540R.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 572
I was noticing how heavy duty and solid the Rotel equipment is. If I remember the CA Azure cdp, it was about half the size and weight of the 1072.
I don't know what it means, or what the heck they put in there.

I have an HK integrated amp that is as big and heavy as a stack of 4 Rega Mira3s. It is like a cinder block! No kidding. It sounds good too, but not better and certainly not 4 times.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1738
My Apollo was half the weight of my NAD CDP, but the Apollo wins out hands down. Interesting indeed. I think most of the weight for the NAD was its case. It was metal material compared to the Apollo's lighter material.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7507
What NAD did you have Nick...I think my Apollo outweighed my C542...but doesn't outweigh my Rotel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1740
I just had the 521bee. It weighed 15 pounds.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7510
Hmmm...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1741
no no wait. That was the weight when I shipped it. I think when I weighed it at work just alone it was around 10 or 11 pounds Art. So I guess roughly the same as the Apollo? Not sure what the Apollo weighs. It just seemed heavier.lol. Either way the Apollo sounds better.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10642
I really would suggest plunking a borrowed 1072 into the Rotel kit, David.

Good synergy there.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1280
It's on my list of to-do's my friend.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1282
Got my RA-02. Check it out:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/507844.html

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 23
Like I said months ago, which none of these johnny come lately posters acknowledge, that Rotel is a mother.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10646
So is your mother, jbw.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10647
See, it's all in the approach.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3178
The Rotel RC1072 is an ok player but that's about it in my book. It does everything it says it should but it doesn't have any passion, there's no sense of involvement. This makes it particularly suitable for classical recordings (a typical Rotel strength), even if it is a bit matter-of-fact in that regard, but when it comes to more contemporary music it's just dull as dishwater in my book.

Sorry...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7563
I see it differently with the Rotel. I do agree that it's particularly good with classical...and I don't think it's very good with jazz, soul/funk/R&B, simply doesn't have that sense of swagger (my way of putting PRaT from time to time) it seems that is needed for those kinds of music. However I think it does a darn good job with good old fashioned hard rock and American roots music, blues/bluegrass/country/alt country and the likes. Just my opinion.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1317
Rotel is really good with Metal, too Art.

I know you listen to a lot of metal ;-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7565
LOL!!!

I do like a screamin' guitar. However I like it in blues, or classic rock more than anything else...nothin' like a little Johnny Winter to put the blush on ole Stevie Ray.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10670
In response, I might offer this...

For Rock and Roll, I prefer the rotel to the Apollo. The faster play(?) and the absolute denial of rolloff that the 1072 does is meant for blues and rock forme.

When I want balance and some Janis-ability(new word), the Apollo and the Classe trans dac are tied, however, the Classe is not as aggressive on rock as I like.

The Classe pair are outstanding for softer passages and classical and I have not heard the setup bettered(although my speaks are limiting).

#1 Rotel 1072 for fast clean rock.
#2 all around, covers all the bases

#3 Special. Just for me, cause the setup is rare, hard to compare.

Dave, I might be able to send the 1072 your way for a few weeks...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1319
That would be awesome Nuck!

When are you gonna be in this neck of the woods again?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10673
Gawd only knows, Dave, but I will look to see if I still have the box...

Or you could have to come here for a bbq and check out the Classe, take the player with you.
See if anybody else wants to come along, Nick?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1767
Yup, I am game for that for sure. Let me know the time and place guys.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1323
Nick's place is on the way... I could drop by and pick him up!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10678
OK, lemme work on a time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1784
Sweeeeet.lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10682
I sent an email, David/Nick

Gold Member

Post Number: 1791
I didn't get er Nuck buddy.

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 25
The Rotel is an excellent player across music genres. Period.

Silver Member
Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 101
You ain't never lied.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10703
I like it, no doubt. The player just doesn't seem so complete. But thats just listener choice.
And it should be 200$ cheaper in Canada.

Change from a nickel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us