Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1510
Likewise Rick.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 693
Our daughter is down in the Dominican Republic right now so we're on pins and needles. Last we talked with her, Sunday morning, they're getting lots of rain and wind but otherwise safe.

Rick, good to see you're still checking in once in a while. Mrs. Sem and I decided to follow your lead and move out of New York state, though it's a very gradual plan. We're bi-coastal for the next few years until we retire, sell our NY home and stay full time out here in CA.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1511
Hope your daughter stays safe Sem.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4720
Hi Rick. All the best, Sem. She'll be OK, I'm sure.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1530
Sale - audio gear going cheap!

Our neighbour has some audio items he's selling very cheaply as all components will need a little restoration. Not only that but the items will need to be picked up. But the real catch is that they may be a little difficult to find. See below:

Upload

Making light of a terrible disater for poor Les and Trina, our neighbours of 26 years, our hearts really go out to them. They will arrive home later this evening from a holiday in New Zealand to celebrate Les's 50th birthday to see what remains of everything they have. Their grown children went with them and left their cars under the house with Trina's little BMW and Les's work truck (with all his gear and tools) and motor cycle. We awoke to this horrendous event at 2.30am Sunday morning. You see it on the news all the time, but seldom in your street. Thank God they were not home, the place was a huge fireball within minutes and all the firemen could do was save the house next door, which has some damage all the same.

Les, Trina and kids will be okay, but will have to start again from scratch with memories as their only possessions.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11169

Don't tell me, they own Marantz gear.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8455
2 responses for this.

1) JV I did LOL.
2)Aww, MR, that is a nightmare. I hope they can cope.
When it starts with 'nobody was hurt' you KNOW its gonna be ugly. There but for the grace of God walk I...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1531
Not Marantz, McIntosh - those darn tubes!
No, it may have been possums, but that's a guess:

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2007/08/28/2017_gold-coast-top-story.html

We saw Les and Trina last night as they were sifting through the ruins in the dark - not dark enough to hide the devastated looks or tears.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8468
Insurance rep had better be there with bell's on.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 449
that makes me sick to my stomach.

I've been there. Had the clothes on my back and my Robin Trower bridge of Sighs cd.

My condolences to your neighbor in hopes of a quick, as-painless-as-possible recovery.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1533
Sorry to hear you went through it too Stryvn. Luckilly, Trina works for a bank/insurance company and they are already being great according to my conversation with Les about a half hour ago. Unfortunately, his new work truck rear cab and tools weren't covered, but he is counting his blessings no one was there at the time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8542
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/09/05/popcorn-lung.html

On a different sad note, this stupid fat prik might have a lawsuit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8543
Now batting for the New York Yankees...Walter Mittey.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/070905/K090504AU.html

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5325
His was the first voice to truly move me...not with words but with the power of emotion, RIP dear Luciano Pavarotti....

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2082
R.I.P. Luciano Pavarotti -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070906/ap_on_en_mu/pavarotti

Gold Member

Post Number: 8560
The word 'commercial' is exactly what we want," he said after appearing in the "Three Tenors" concerts. "We've reached 1.5 billion people with opera. If you want to use the word 'commercial,' or something more derogatory, we don't care. Use whatever you want."

There are the words of a man on a lifelong mission. To bring the quality of his art back to the front burner of peoples appreciation of the music.

A great loss.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5342
RIP Joe Zawinul...

Boy, ain't I full of good news.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1577
We remember on this day.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 704
Are Technology Limits
In MP3s and iPods
Ruining Pop Music?

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118953936892024096-_eB1UwXeHz19W4ujB4zTDM UtEVk_20080911.html?mod=rss_free

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1579
Well Sem, according to the article, yes and no.

Another area where the world seems to have a bleak future.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4745
I still like the iPod. I recently changed the Li battery on our son's early model iPod, then wiped the disk and installed some tests from Cd including Miles Davies, Kind of Blue. As a source, the iPod is not as good as Rega Apollo, but it's as good as many other CD players, in my opinion. The real problem is the mp3 compression. Just don't use it. Get an iPod with large HD instead of bells and whistles, and import with lossless compression. The iTunes Plus files at 256 kbps aac are also as good as CD, in my view. I bought Bruckner 4 from BPO/Rattle and it sounds darned good.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1581
I know you do John, and I understand the value of transportable music and yes, with lossless compression I'm sure they can make quite good music. However I think the technology will eventually create a downward spiral in the quality of recordings as the article suggests as apathy, studio time and keeping up with or beating the competition will rule (as it does).

Let's hope some sanity prevails, though I think pop/rock music will be the first to suffer and there's not too much of that these days that I can tolerate.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4746
Thanks, M.R. I don't have my own iPod, and never took to listening on headphones, or on the move. I'm just the techie for the family!

Downloading is getting more hi-fi orientated, that's for sure.

I think we discussed these things early on, on this thread.

I remember a Pye valve radio with a single speaker, my father's valve car radio, my big brother's portable all-in-one valve record player. I listened to the "High Society" soundtrack over and over on that, on one of the early LPs. It sounds better from CD, on my HiFi.

The mass market has always had cost as a priority. In the great scheme of things that probably makes sense. I don't know whether things are so different today.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 706
"However I think the technology will eventually create a downward spiral in the quality of recordings as the article suggests..."

Kind of ironic isn't it? Quite possibly the majority of mp3's out there are illegally downloaded; which makes you wonder why the music industry feels compelled to pander to the listening habits of the same people they're taking to court.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4747
I've paid for all my downloads (all six of them, I think). Even if they come with notes and artwork, it is not as satisfying purchasing a disc. You don't really feel you've bought anything. It is also a pain to have to print things out. Having audio files on a computer scores for the convenience of arranging playlists, and selecting what you're going to play. Track selection on CD players is not so easy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8638
There are benefits of both sources.
The download means not having to leave my chair(although I can), but a lot of the traders in music are homebound, or at least limited.
A trip to the store is not a drop of the hat type of thing.
The majority of up and down loading of classical music is done by shut-ins, people of an age where mobility is limitedd, and the music is an everyday occurance for them. Maybe the only thing, day to day.
And these folks are looking at stuff that very few active onliner's would even consider.
Bach ain't suing.
A lot od these files can be had in lossless, for the same reasons.

Watch out, your gramma could be targeted next by the fcc. Unlikely.
And Bach's agent is already...uhh...retired.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 690
John A.,

"Track selection on CD players is not so easy."

Huh?

I guess being the "Analog Kid" gives me a different perspective.

John, you are scaring me. I am starting to think "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" may not have been a Sci-Fi flick after all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8648
John A. and Leonard Nemoy may beg to differ.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4748
Thank you, Michael.

"Track selection on CD players is not so easy."

I should have written "Track selection on CD players is not as easy." Not as easy as from an iTunes playlist, for example. Where you just click to select the tracks you want, in what order, and can see all sorts of information about them - duration, file type and size, the title of the song and album etc. etc.

On Cd players you usually have the track number, duration, and that's your lot. And selecting tracks means cross-refering to the booklet or liner notes, while pressing buttons on the remote in some complicated sequence. The Rega Apollo is good and clear, but I've still selected the wrong tracks on many occasions.

Anyway, as I said, I prefer CDs.

As regards sound quality, some downloads are higher resolution than CD, now. I mentioned Linn Records "Studio Masters" before - 24-bit, 88 kHz PCM. (Apparently I get 20% discount if someone joins and says I recommended it. Any takers.....? :-)) Also iTunes Plus is pretty good - 256 kbps aac, and DRM-free, too.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 691
Thanks John, completely makes sense to me now.

Between you and Nuck and other's advice of using the internet as a tuner my laptop is beginning to resemble a component to me.

Just not there yet.

I tend to use the laptop when I listen to music and that would negate the ability to make my own ICs as the run would be too far. I have some 5 meter Audioquest Snakes that would work, but the signal quality not be to my liking. I am aware that I could run an external LCD for a monitor and use a wireless mouse and keyboard, then I could use my DIY ICs.

I suppose it's only a matter of time. I am going to save your post John for future references.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4749
Thanks, Michael.

I don't think the internet is a good tuner, meaning radio tuner. Not yet. Think of it more as a network of audio file stores!

The highest quality downloads I know of are Linn Records' Studio Masters.

http://www.linnrecords.com/catalogue.aspx?format=studio

They are premium price plus, and you still don't get the full CD booklet.

However, I find my laptop as a source gives superb signal from the downloaded FLAC files, even using the computer's internal DAC. If I downsample and burn to CD then there is something subtle missing, even playing the CD on my Rega Apollo.

The files will not play directly in iTunes or on an iPod, but you can convert them. Actually, I convert to 24-bit 88.2 kHz PCM which is DVD-A quality. That plays from iTunes on my laptop but my son's older-model iPod will not accept them.

By the way, their Handel's Messiah (normally two CDs - they have different genres too, he added hastily) in FLAC format is a 2.45 gigabyte download. Converted to aiff so it plays in iTunes at the same resolution, and it takes up 4.3 gigabytes of disc space.

iPod people don't want that, I am sure - you would fill an iPod nano, if it would take it, with one CD's-worth. You probably have to be a bit obsessive to want to try, but ..... well, here we are, folks! Still, storage is now well below a dollar a gigabyte.

It is a fantastic sound, though. Really something.

No, I am not on commission!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4750
Anyone else notice the green links producing pop-up windows on other threads?

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 711
John,

I did last night as I was typing out a post on pre-amps. It was taking words like "amp" and "pre-amp", turning them green and underlining them. I did not click back on it after I posted but that would make sense. What did it pop up to?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11350

R.I.P. Marcel Marceau. There's a cruel "in a box" joke in there somewhere.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8740
MM's birth name was Home Theatre.
Will that do?

I am brought back to the Bloom County strip where Opus the penguin blugeons a mime with a pimento loaf.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11354

Hey, let's take it easy on mimes. OK?! I almost went to work with a mime troupe when I was just getting out of college.

I was going to be their sound supervisor. Seemed too good to be true.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 708
"R.I.P. Marcel Marceau. There's a cruel "in a box" joke in there somewhere."

He reportedly had no last words.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1602
He may run into a problem at the Pearly Gates

- St Peter was never good at charades.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1821
­
A great artist silenced.

They're playing 4' 33" at the funeral.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 721
John A.

I noticed one more thing today about the underlined green words. Pop up adds that are associated with the targeted underlined green words.

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Mike, John A,

I had the same thing around the same time you saw it start happening. Here's the fix (for IE):

Start button.
Settings.
Control Panel.
Network and Internet Connections
Internet Options
Click the Security tab
Click on 'Restricted Sites'
Click 'Sites' button
And add this line;

*.us.intellitxt.com

That took care of it for me.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 722
and I thought I was a geek...

LOL

Thanks stryvn, I will implement this when I get home this evening. I should work similarly for Firefox. If not I will figure it out and post as you did.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8758
psssst, Mike.
You is.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 726
but I threw away the pocket protector....

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4751
What, it protects against pop-ups?

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
Gets rid of the green underlined words and associated popup

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4752
Thanks, stryvn!

Yes, I see "Block pop-up windows" is an option also in Firefox and Safari.

I was concerned for Michael and his unprotected pockets...

Even in the preview, I get green for the word "windows", above, and a cheerful pop-up that must mean they've got my IP address. I don't think it's much use to you guys. Probably each IP get something similar but more local to it.

Hands-on Windows NT Training
Instructor-led Microsoft Windows NT and 2000 system administration course. Learn installation and configuration, administering users and groups, securing file systems, and more. 5 days £1245
www.traininghott.co.uk

What an entirely resistable offer. This means that intellitext thinks we are talking operating systems. We used to get an "Old Dogs" thread side-bar with advertisements for dog food, flea powder, &c.

What a strange world.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 732
stryvn, my Firefox blocks Pop-ups, but I still have green underlined words. Should I lay awake nights pondering this????????????????????????

Heck, even "Firefox" is green. Could this be the work of the Flat Earthers?

Jiminey, now the word "Pop-ups" is green and "Firefox" is not. It changes every time I edit my "Preview/Post Message".

Gold Member

Post Number: 8785
I kinda miss the flea powder ads, John.
scratch scratch

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4755
Me, too, Nuck. The link on the side bar should say

Sniff to Learn More...

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4756
Mouse over "Bass" under "Subwoofers" just gave;-

bass
Find Delicious Sea Bass Recipes. Download The Free Recipe Toolbar.
Recipes.Starware.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 8798
hehehe
stupid advertisers.

mmmmmmm...sea bass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8838
Somebody at the door, dogs.
Speak! Speak!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8839
And where the heck is Larry?
Were they setting roots in New Mexico?
So many questions

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1617
Well, you're not going to believe it - or you may - I sold the Naim and got a NAD M55.

Gotya! Well, there's no way the Naim is going, but I did get a NAD M55. I sold the Denon 3910 and bought a used M55.

On the spec sheet, the Denon 3910 and 3930 would win hands down for features, but in comparison to the 3910, and 2900, the M55 is quite superior soundwise imho. To me the difference is as much as the Apolla/Naim over the NAD C542. From memory, for redbook playback, the M55 is probably a bit warmer and slightly less detailed than the C542 and not as involving, but nice all the same. With SACD in stereo and M.C. it is marvellous - no cliches - just marvellous, and so is DVD-A. The build quality is also brilliant, the thing oozes class except as usual for the cheap plastic disc tray. Why do they all do that?

The video section on my STD DEF LG Plasma, the M55 is also superior to my previous Denons (I can't say about the new 3930). I paid a tad over half the normal price.

The owner drove an hour and a half to deliver it so I could try it using all formats and channels and everything worked great. That is until after I paid him and he left. I tried another movie - a music DVD video - it wouldn't play - the text "check the region code" appeared. The next DVD played, the next, same problem. This went on until I tried about thirteen discs. Five would not play with the same message. later, I phoned the guy, he offered to give me my money back, but then he remembered he had called a guy from the distributors to find out about multi-region coding. This morning I phoned the same guy and he guided me through the secret [:-)] and the problem was solved - phew! - the seller agreed. It plays everything I've tried since without a problem.

Why did it play some region 4 discs and not others? The answer the tech guy told me was that to save costs many discs incorporate 2 region codes - usually region 4 and region 2 the latter of which is what I discovered the previous owner had inadvertently set it to.

Long story, but true. and it is not over yet.

On the way is a Musical Fidelity A5.

Go on - get it off your chests!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4759
Good to hear, M.R.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1618
Thanks John.

Here's a little review for the M55 now that we've had some time with it.

After listening to the M55 some more, I can say that redbook CD playback is actually pretty good, from memory (not all that reliable), I'd say it would be on par with the C542. Compared to the CD5i, the bass is less controlled, the instruments are a little congested and voices (eg: Van Morrison) a little more harsh and while it can dig out some detail, it doesn't have the PRaT of the Naim or Apollo.

Did some hi-rez surround listening yesterday and I'll reiterate both SACD and DVD-A sound terrific - Ms Krall was very smooth in DSD while Fagan's prior digitally harsh voice heard at times on the Denon was much easier on the ears. PRaT came back to the party somewhat with both the formats.

Video is pretty good, and a bit better than the 3910, but really, overall the cheap, humble and reliable old Pioneer DV676 has the video playback in the bag, maybe not quite as sharp as sometimes seen on the M55 and 3910, but its picture quality is more consistantly excellent with various movies.

Where NAD has really let the fans down is in the options/convenience side of things. One needs to learn navigation with the OSD on to control moving from CD to 2 channel or multi-channel playback on Hybrid SACD's and the same for the different layers of DVD-A. One needs to turn on 196/24 sampling (via the OSD menu again) for two channel DVD-A and this is only available for the HDMI connection. And one cannot mute the video section nor turn down/off the player's display. The manual only tells half the story so one has to guess the rest. For a "Master Series" component, these issues are very poor indeed.

Where the M55 strengths lie is in the music it delivers - especially the hi-rez formats whether in two or multi-channel. Also, the player's build quality is brilliant and the connections are of fine quality.

For redbook CD - 6.5/10
For SACD/DVDa - 8/10
For features - 4/10
Menu navigation - 7/10
Manual - 4/10
Build quality - 9/10

Gold Member

Post Number: 8922
Silly question, but a followup.
Do you feel good about the purchase, MR?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1619
I got the M55 primarilly for the hi-rez formats as I wasn't entirely satisfied with the Denon. So in a word Nuck (and considering it worked out basically as a swap), the answer is

Yep!

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 719
Very nice MR. Sounds like you're happy with it for playing your hi-rez titles, and indeed the reason you got it. Happy listening!!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1620
Thanks Sem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8940
Nice swap, MR!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11587

To return to this thread's origins for a moment;

Esoteric SA-60 universal player

Michael Fremer, October, 2007

"In the ongoing debacle that has been the introduction and promotion of high-resolution digital audio and the record industry's struggles to engage the public's interest in it, two recent events stand out.

One was Sony's decision, in 2006, to limit to one day a week the production of hybrid SACD/CDs at its Terre Haute, Indiana pressing plant, which had opened with much fanfare in May 2003. That forced ABKCO Records to replace its catalog of Rolling Stones hybrids, perhaps the best-selling SACD/CDs ever released, with 'Red Book' CD editions. According to ABKCO, the company had found itself unable to fill wholesale orders.

Removing the SACD layer wasn't a big issue for ABKCO--few consumers were buying the discs to get the SACD layer in the first place, the label had designed the artwork to underplay SACD to avoid consumer confusion, and, most important, had priced the discs to ensure that they'd be stocked in the CD racks and not in some 'audiophile' ghetto hidden behind a wall. But Sony's move drove the last nail into the coffin of the optimistic notion that the hybrid disc's 'hidden' SACD layer might make it a mainstream product costing no more than a 'Red Book' CD. Sony's message, heard loud and clear throughout the industry, was that no independent label's effort to support the SACD format with superb sound, a popular catalog, and low prices would go unpunished by SACD's inventor and original promoter.

The other high-resolution setback was Philips' launch, in 2005, of a poorly designed, ergonomically primitive OEM SACD transport. Aside from refusing to play a large percentage of 'Red Book' CDs that any $30 DiscMan would play without so much as a digital hiccup, this transport eventually produced an almost 100% failure rate in the field with no possible fix--much to the disgust, horror, and embarrassment of Krell, Musical Fidelity, T+A, and other makers of high-end players who value their reputations for making reliable, high-quality players. Philips then made matters worse by simply abandoning their manufacturer customer, leaving these companies to face angry customers who'd bought expensive products that broke and could not be fixed.

Add the problems in navigating DVD-Audio discs with displayless, audio-only systems, the limited enthusiasm among audiophiles for multichannel sound, the record industry's confusing move to double-sided DualDiscs containing CD, Dolby Digital, and DVD-A content, consumers' clamor for lo-rez MP3 downloads, and the resurgence of analog, and it's a wonder that hi-rez digital sound has survived at all.

Yet, like vinyl, high-resolution digital has survived, thanks to the support of enthusiasts like the readers of Stereophile. A perusal of retail websites catering to audiophiles demonstrates that there's sufficient high-quality music available in the two hi-rez audio formats to make the purchase of a 'universal player' worth considering--assuming that that player offers superb CD playback. For now (and perhaps forever), the vast majority of digitally encoded music on disc will be in the standard 'Red Book' format."

http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplayers/1007eso/

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/907awsi/

Gold Member

Post Number: 9020
Very interesting, Jan.
Tyvm

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4760
That's interesting, Jan, and it's good to try to navigate back to original question.

SACD is still gaining ground over here, at least in classical recordings.

Fremer makes a good point about the barrier of having to use a TV with DVD-A.

The second link, to the article by John Atkinson, is very good, and about sums up where we are, I think. Wish I'd known about the AES meeting;- http://www.aes.org/events/31/

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4762
Quote from the second link.

Meridian's Bob Stuart wrote a decade ago, echoing earlier work by the Acoustic Renaissance for Audio, that without noise-shaping, a minimum of 58kHz sampling and a word length of 18.2 bits were necessary for audio to be PCM-encoded with audible transparency (footnote 1), and there was a consensus at the AES conference that hi-rez audio encoding does offer a sonic improvement compared with the 16-bit/44.1kHz-sampled CD standard.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5525
As we said long ago, it appears that the format is here for the long haul, but only for enthusiasts and with a very limited catalog. Interesting indeed.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11636

The Denon 2900 is coming back into my system. Not for the need to play SACD's as they still represent a very small minority in my library. But more due to lack of interest from potential buyers. After six months on consignment at a local high end shop, the best offer they could muster was $250. No matter what SACD's I own, the 2900 is worth more than any $250 DVD player I could/would buy. I am still at a loss for new SACD material. I'm not finding the music I prefer available on SACD. I'm not going to repurchase my classical collection on SACD. So, I suppose those few times when I don't want to play DSOTM on vinyl, the 2900 will get used for some hi-rez content. As Larry would say, double sigh!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4763
I think we are all agreed that re-purchasing just because of the format makes little sense. However that was the declared intention of SACD. Now that SACD has become primarily a multi-channel format, in fact the mutichannel format, even this is not enough to interest most people. Whether it is a matter of regret or not takes us back to square one, I suppose.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5589
Anyone know where Larry is? I miss him.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1699
Art, Larry is involved in a project at present that I think is taking a lot of his time. I'll let him relate if he wishes. I miss him too and this reminds me it's about time to send him an email.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5597
Thanks for the update MR.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1904
The lost soul lives - sorta. Sigh. Been away a long time, I know - but Mer and I have been both busy and bothered.
Without painful detail - Mer's brother is in big-time marital trouble - her folks need more of our time as they deteriorate mentally - Mer has spent mucho time and money on product, without any sales - and I am stuck in la-la land with my novel.
The book takes major portions of the day, but I do love it, and hope to have it finished sometime in late spring. Selling and getting an agent and publisher will then make me verrrrry crazy. . .

The docs say my right ear is nerve-damaged, with nothing they can do to repair it. So, I'll be gradually going deaf in that ear - they say maybe five years of "decent" hearing left. Double sigh.
Anybody want to buy a right-channel speaker? (double grin)
Hey - how's all that for good news, eh?

We've not had any major upgrades or purchases audio-wise this year - but are planning on getting a 42-inch LCD flat-panel TV set in early 2008. The player issue remains a problem, and we don't think we'll do the Blu-ray/Hi-DVD route for at least another year, or until the format wars cease.

I'm sorry for not posting, but life has been very hectic, and frankly, I didn't have much to say that wouldn't bore the heck out of all the dawgs.

Hope all of you are well and reasonably happy. I shall try to dip into the forum more regularly, if the book ever frees me from its grasp! (grin)

Luv and great music to all.

Respectfully, LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5602
Very good to hear from you Larry. I think I speak for many in saying that you are missed here. Sounds like life is throwing the usual curve balls but I'm confident that you and Mer will hit it out of the park. Thank you for taking the time to say hello, it doesn't sound like there is much time to spare these days. Bye for now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9161
And speak of the Devil's advocate, hear is our favorite reporter again!

Good to see you Larry.

I hope your home and hearth are exactly as you want.

Mike W has a mail for you...been waiting since you went on Walkabout.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1905
Nuck, Art, et al: Good to take some time away from the book to type something more relaxed!
Mike W has a mail for me? Send it on, brother!

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the SACD situation, and have decided against buying any more of them - UNLESS - they are hybrids, and thus playable on redbook equipment.
One reason: IF or WHEN I buy a Blu-ray player, it will surely play CDs and DVDs - but not SACDs. At least not any I've seen so far.
Plus, with my hearing problems they no longer sound much better than most of my regular CDs. . .double sigh. (nice quote, Jan!)

We're still watching DVDs on Mer's old 20-inch Toshiba, which gives a very good picture - for what it is. But when I away to the various emporiums of lust and envy - and take peeks at what's out there in the form of flat-panel TVs - oh, my! I can actually see people in the frames - not ants! Hmm. . .me thinks that surely a larger set is in the future.

That, of course, will mean a new (whatever) player. My li'l Cambridge does not do upscaling, so I could not take advantage of the hi-res elements of the new TVs. Is triple sigh in order here, Jan? (grin)

Got an e-posting from SimplyMcIntosh, who is working very hard and doing wonderful things to her old house. A neat person, for sure. . .

Must away to the novel, which controls more of my life than I could ever have believed.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4769
Best wishes, Larry.

I'm a less frequent poster these days through work and such things. I well remember the wit and repartee of old. I've met discerning Hi-Fi people, and music lovers, with hearing aids. The music is still there for them. Don't worry, and take it easy.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11720

Keep a brown paper bag handy if you start doing triple sighs, Larry. Don't want you getting light headed and going out to buy a 72" plasma TV. I doubt Mer would find that funny.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4770
Even worse would coming back with one. Though I suppose the bag could go over the TV.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1906
John A., Jan, et al. Very funny! Really. . .

I'll try the B-bag next time I'm in a steep decline and need the extra sigh-power. Sigh. . .(grin)

Yeah, I guess the newest hearing aids are much better than those of old, but the cost. . . thousands! Mmmm...

Jan, if I were to truck in a 72-inch plasma set (do they come that large?) I'd be wishing I again had all my body parts. And this is worth a double-sigh. (grin)

Mer is against any kind of large screen, though she does admit that it would be nice to see actors' features, etc. I'm still trying to use my super-persuasive powers (aka threat of no more cooking) to dredge up a 42-inch LCD. We'll see. . .

Almost forgot. Y'all remember my "friend" Jerry and his antics with getting caught in the act. . .well, "the wife" told a friend who told Mer that the amps and players and free-standing speakers had all been reported "stolen." Hmm. . .the story is that she went out of an evening, and came home to discover a broken window and a nearly-empty media room.

Now - who done it? Did Jerry sneak back and break in? Was it a burglar? Or did "the wife" do it herself?

The story is that she never sets the burglar alarm - though I don't know this first-hand. Anyway, the cops are investigating. )(and no, I didn't do it! GRIN)

Jerry, meanwhile, is nowhere to be found. I guess he moved somewhere far away. Haven't heard from him in a long time now. I guess divorce proceedings continue, though neither Mer nor I keep up.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11726

Have the police checked for tire tracks belonging to a large moving van?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9198
Does anyone know, for certain, where OJ was on that evening?

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 730
I suspect Kegger may have had something to do with it, but of course I have no way of proving it.

Hi Larry.

Bye Larry.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1702
Larry, I think it's obvious whodunnit, seems he finally found a bit of sense. LOL!

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 844
Larry,

Belated welcome back. Hearing loss in 5 year? Probably should not sweat it, science will have an answer for you by then perhaps.

Good idea to wait until early 2008 for the LCD as the holiday season is supposed to see major price drops for those products.

Double good idea to wait for the format wars to resolve (take it from a Sony Beta aficionado).

I did not know you had returned from New Mexico, so I must now visit the post office this weekend. Be patient, I am cheap, it will get there, eventually...most likely. LOL.

As to the TV format, 720 is less expensive and should work nicely for you. If you can get your cable provider to bring out an HD box (roof antennas also pull in HD formats) you can expand you experience.

And now is not the time to leave Jerry in the lurch, especially when he has so much gear to unload.........sorry, sometimes I cannot stop myself.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1907
Michael W - thanks for the advice. I've not kept up on the super-TV stuff, but just want to get the latest advances whenever I spend my bucks. I'll have to get a new player as well, because my current one doesn't up-scale, and has only component outputs, not HDMI.

The Oppo 980 (?) looks good to me.

Jerry? Even tongue-in-cheek I haven't the foggiest where the mope has gone. But if he does have great gear for sale - cheap - hmm. . . . .(grin)

Our cable company wants big bucks to add a HD box, so I doubt that I'll go that way.

After New Year's - that's my buying plan, Mike!

Sem: Kegger is into the used-gear game, isn't he? Hmm - maybe. Nah, he may like cheap, but he wouldn't actually steal. I miss him, BTW. . . .

And all dawgs as well. . . . sigh.

Wish I had more of interest to post.

Respectfully. . . .LarryR

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 734
Larry,

"One reason: IF or WHEN I buy a Blu-ray player, it will surely play CDs and DVDs - but not SACDs. At least not any I've seen so far."

While I certainly don't know what will happen down the road, this article makes me wonder about the future of Blu-ray.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iSSf4xA77eWwRXXF8SovYH6kRhRAD8SPU1BG0

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1908
Sem, et al: Double sigh here, guyz. I don't quite understand all the nuances of both formats, but I just hope that we don't have another "VHS win" in this contest.

Thanks for the link - I try to keep up, but know that I do not, maybe cannot do so.

At the rate things are going I may not live long enough to see a resolution anyway! (grin)

On SACDs - they generally do give better sound, but I'm not sure if they'll last much longer. Just not enough buyer-pressure outside of the classical niche.

Another posting from my friend Verne - who, with some of his super-hi-fi nutzy friends, now has a prototype ready involving a solid-state chip player that he claims "eclipses everything I've ever heard on CD, SACD or DVD audio."

Hmm. . .He says it uses a flash memory card, and some kind of "lossless compression," but won't send along a picture or precise explanation. I guess his group is going for a patent, so they're super-secret at the moment.

I have long thought that some sort of memory chip would surely replace the CD - and with more and more audio-folk using hard drives instead of individual CDs in their system I guess the transformation is on the way.

I know I have some music on a couple of my li'l 4 gigabyte flash memory "thumb drives," and it sounds great on the computer system, but I cannot use it on my living room rig. Someday. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 852
Larry, I believe you can find a dual RCA female convert to mini-plug male to plug into the audio out of the sound card on your computer. Run the a pair of RCAs from this to your AUX in and you should have your computer singing on your rig!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5630
Though without a DAC the computer singin' on the rig don't sound so good.....my wife and I are both doin' it in our systems. Larry in case you missed, I'm now the junk man of audio and my beloved wife has joined me...she has more turntables than I do (after I gave her my BIC 960...after many hints...arghh). Don't get me wrong I still have and love the Rega rig but I mostly listen to 20-30 year old stuff now...and no it ain't Mac, wish it was and as soon as I find it at a garage sale it will be (can I get an Amen please), for now it's Sansui and Yamaha.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1909
Well now, y'all are both behind and ahead of me! I sit here and try to figger out just what y'all are a-hearin' that I'm not. . .

I'm about ready for a simple Big Red Button on the front of my stereo. On. Off. On. Off. That's it! (grin)

The docs now say I'll be a dull thud in my right ear in about three years. Mono was never so good! (grin)

I'm thinking about 8-track. . . .

Respectful-like. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5635
How 'bout a mono 4 track....now that's livin'.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1910
Art, et al: Aktually, I'm thinking about 45 rpms. . .

Now that's hot-dog livin' fer shore! (grin)

(does anybody out there even remember 45s?)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5652
I have one that came in the Led Zeppelin III lp I bought. I love records!!!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1910
­
(does anybody out there even remember 45s?)

Oh yes!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t171/JohnS45/45domeadapt.jpg

Gold Member

Post Number: 9246
Blimey!

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2007/11/19/4668572-ap.html

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1911
Michael W - please see your private message from me. Important.
Very Important.
Please e-mail me soonest.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11789

Uh-oh! I smell smoke!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1912
Jan (grin) no smoke, sir - just some fine conversation between two dawgs.

This has been a most strange and marvelous day, and I hope y'all are happy and well. Sigh. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 9306
Have fun Larry!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us