Help in choosing recievers/CD players/Speakers

Ray S
I am totally new to this forum and I don't have any prior experience in choosing a stereo system. I need some help and your suggestions to choose some components. I thank you in advance for it.

I have a budget of approx $1200 to buy an amplifier/receiver+DVD/CD player+Speakers (not too big, mostly bookshelf size). I went to a store to look at components and the store salesman recommended me to buy a NAD C320BEE amplifier along with a NADT512 DVD/CD player (as it can serve both purposes of watching movie and listening CD) and I listened to a Paradigm as well as B&W DM601 speakers (B&W sounded better to my ear). The price quoted was $399+$269+$450 excluding tax.

Then I was speaking with a friend of mine and he owns a Marantz SR6300 reciever (which he bought for $550) and he suggested Marantz. By the way the store I went for demo did not have Marantz.

So my questions are,

1. Will I be better off to have a reciever instead of an integrated amplifier as I can connect my TV etc to make it more like a home theater system?

2. Then I looked in the web and found deals of NADT742 + NADT512 for $598 (www.saturdayaudio.com). I looked at the Marantz website and found Marantz SR 5300 for $499 (http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=sbb_marantz).

My question is that if you have to buy one, which one will you prefer? The NAD combination, or the Marantz with a NAD DVD player? What do you look for in these receivers to judge its quality for that amount of money spent?

I have not listened to B&W 602 (as they were out of stock in the store), and if I have to really stretch my budget I may listen to DM602 and buy it over something like DM601. If I can get a nice quality speaker similar to DM602 for a different brand in a cheaper price, I may opt for that. So please let me know your suggestions and thoughts. If you also know some web addresses form where I can buy things cheaper carrying full warranty, please let me know.

I also saw some posting about problems regarding NAD receiver systems, so is that of any concern?

Thanks

elitefan
You are on the right track as far as the quality of thr products you are looking at. I would buy a receiver and the Marantz is a very good line. In your budget I would look at the Elitevsx41, NADT742, Onkyo601, Marantzsr5300, H/K325 which is on sale at various sites. [J&R Music World] For speakers bothe Paradigm and B&W are great but maybe not best match with the receivers above. I would try to hear the Monitor Audio Bronze series. Are you trying to buy a complete suround system on this budget or just mains for now?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us