Klipsch RF5's, pioneer CX2/MX2 amp/pre. What $1200 CDP?

Bronze Member
Username: Derricker

Post Number: 11
I accidentally posted this on a thread, sorry for the double-up. I intended to start my own thread with details in title.

I have been reading these posts for quite a while, and am debating on getting a CD player. I have NEVER REALLY OWNED ONE. I just play CD's on my $40 Best Buy DVD player.

I have Pioneer MS2 and CX2 amp and preamp, and KLIPSCH RF5 speakers. I use Monster Cable (big) for the speakers, and $100 super big Monster Cable between amp and preamp.

I was thinking of spending $1200 for a CD player. At this price point (please no higher, maybe $50 over), what would some good options be? I can head to stereo stores to listen, but if I don't have an idea of what I'm looking at, I'll be intimidated out of even starting to compare.

Thanks! Ricker

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
PS a big issue here -- do you think a $1200 CD player would be wasted on my system? My concern is that the signal will be better than my system can reproduce, and my money would be spent on too good a CD player. Thanks, Ricker

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1458
Rick- what do your local audio dealers carry?

And I am not talking about Best Buy or Future Shop. They are not audio experts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
NAD and REGA are the two names I know and trust best, but based only on what I've read.

http://overture-audio.com/audio/home.html

This is my local stereo shop. This is where I tested out turn tables this weekend. I would like to head back in the next few days to try out CD players. Their list of brands for CD players is here:

Arcam DiVA Series
Arcam FMJ Series
Linn Hi-Fi
NAD
Rega

THANK YOU! I am excited for any advice you can give!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I read STEREO REVIEW on the APOLLO and think that looks great. $1200 on the nose, too. Not to stray too much from the original topic, but if I burnt mp3s to play on this REGA, what bitrate should I use for best sound quality? Is 256 enough? That would be a great way to play longer while cooking etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Not to stray, as I said -- my biggest concern is high quality CD sound for my system, period. The MP3 deal is just an afterthought. If I wanted low quality MP3 sound, I wouldn't want a $1200 CD player. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
NAD C542 is $500. Rega Apollo is $1200. Am I going to hear an improvement on my system if I buy the Apollo vs. the NAD? I might hear a difference on the store's equipment, but how about on my quality of amplification and speakers? Thank you!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1460
Hey Rick- I would think you would hear a difference. Bring them both home and see what you think. Return the loser. Think about where your system is going to be in the future. Have a plan. If the Apollo fits this plan then it is well worth the extra 700 dollars. I had a NAD cd player, great for the money, but the Apollo brought a nicer sound to my music for sure. Or at least matched my needs and plan. If your willing to spend the 1200 also look at the 1000 dollar Arcam cd player as well, ask your dealer to have a listen. Very nice sounding cd player too. Depends on your likes and needs that will decide which one you like best.

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 25
You guys got me curious about the high end models that are not usually sold at Big Box retailers. I think I may check out some models at a nearby shop and see if I can notice the difference on a completely high end system whereas I'm used to simply hearing things on a 16 year old receiver with 20 year old 3-way speakers with 15" subs.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10110
LZ, try a good cdp on your kit in your home to really tell.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
THANKS for the advice thus far! I would like to slowly upgrade my system -- starting with the CD player, then preamp, then amp, etc. I don't want to take little steps and rebuy everything over and over again. That's why I want the REGA over the NAD if its potential is much better.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10130
I believe the Apollo is head and shoulders above the NAD, particularly as a cornerstone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1462
"I believe the Apollo is head and shoulders above the NAD, particularly as a cornerstone."

Definitely heads and shoulders better than anything in the NAD classic series such as the C542. Good pick R.G.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10136
RG, I still side with Stu in listening to a complete system, and Rega would come right to mind.
No mind blowing nunbers, in price or specs.
Just go and have a listen, make it a day trip or something, but go and listen.
You might like or not, but for a solid deal, you get the PRaT very well.
Especially on vinyl. like a new P3-24....

Bronze Member
Username: Funkmeister

Post Number: 79
Try the Rotel 1072 and save yourself over $500 with very little quality fall off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1469
His dealer doesn't carry Rotel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Judging from his original post to which I responded, he did not indicate he was limited to one dealer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10143
Buy mine!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 709
Rick...talk to Nuck about that 1072. Good player at a good price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1473
It is a very very good player for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1273
so long as you don't talk him out of his Apollo too...

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 193
Rick G.
Don't forget that buying a good CD only player will pretty much commit you to upgrading everything else, too.
Make it a multi-year project to upgrade every piece in your system. Keeping all your equipment 'on the same page', what is usually called 'synergy' will be more difficult than doing the whole enchilada in one go, but it can be done.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1478
I would pick the Apollo over the 1072 any day. But thats just me :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10156
Me too, Nick, but the 1072 does have it's own qualities.
The player is very fast, I use it for RnR.
The 1072 is also accurate, digging out detail that the Apollo does not(to me).

All around, the Apollo is superior, but I have had the chance to listen to both, along with the Classe trans/dac and a puter feed to the dac, and I find the Rotel more fun for John Mellencamp, Kiss and Rush.
I much prefer the Apollo for all else, excepting classical, which the Classe handles with aplomb(after new caps after only 7 years...one shorted, 32 in the array.)

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 725
well, sure Nick. But Nuck's 1072 sounds great at a price that sings.

Bronze Member
Username: Lamcam

Stanton, Ca Usa

Post Number: 72
check out the Naim CD5i too. I prefer that over the Apollo.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 289
But what will the 1072 sound like through the rest of his system ? Through the Pioneer and Klipsch's, I'd be a little concerned that the overall effect might be a bit brash ? Hard to predict these things though, and it depends entirely on preference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
I agree with Nuck's general desciption of the 1072. The Apollo simply does not sound two times better at almost twice the price. Guaranteed. The 1072 is a mother! Sound familiar?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10167
I would buy the Apollo twice before needing another 1072 for just Rock.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10168
But then again, I use so many different sources.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 200
A compromise may be reached with one of the CA offerings. The 640c V2 gets decent press.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1129
I would drill my ears out before pairing the 1072 with Klipsch speakers again. I tried it, and the result was not pretty.

Personally, I would look for a rich, full, warm sounding CDP that does not accentuate the highs. Some have suggested Cambridge Audio (correct me if I am wrong) in the past.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1130
LOL! I just saw that Leo wrote in about CA as well...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 211
No CA?
Wasn't meant to be funny/snide/cynical, but find your humor where you will, without prejudice::
The 640 does get decent press and has a number of satisfied listeners.
My 840 is a gem.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 331
You may also want to consider the Onix CD-5SE from av 123. Looks beautiful, very solidly built, weighs about 20lbs. "Solid high quality, beefy power supply, Philips ultra-stable transport mechanism 24 bit/192K Burr-Brown 1738 DAC". Price is $399 with a 3yr warranty. Ok now the drawback, they are not in stock right now. But if you were not in the market immediately it is something to consider.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1133
I wasn't being sarcastic with the CA input

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
I would get rid of the speakers.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 213
No prob, Gavin. I suspect I mis-read.
NHNF (no harm, no foul)
I have seen CA mentioned on a few other threads, one in particular was a noisy machine!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10193
That was KC, he had to move the CA player out of his bedroom system due to noise.

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 16
With those speakers, you will need a player that tones down the high end or your system will sound shrill. That probably means you won't be able to use an accurate player like the 1072. That's why I don't like Klipsch. I've never heard a pair that weren't too bright for my taste.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1138
the 1072 is bright and grainy...how is that accurate?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10229
Your assessment seems a bit drastic, Gavin, but I respect your listening impression.
I do not use the 1072 for easy listening.

Bronze Member
Username: Jvigne

Post Number: 23
It's more than "a bit drastic" it's just plain wrong. But given his audio setup (maybe he also has Klipsch) that is what he might hear. Numerous professional reviewers would generally disagree with his assessment. I own the unit and it is not strident as Gavin claims.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
I agree that pairing the 1072 with Klipsch might not be the greatest idea. Klipsh has a tendency to exaggerate high frequencies-you might call it their signature sound. But the player is very accurate despite Gavin's observations to the contrary.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 249
Well Wiley, you can tell yourself the 1072 is accurate, not bright and a mother in all of your different personalities if that makes you feel better about your purchase.

Opinions always vary, but I tend to agree with Gavin's assessment.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 308
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/465328.html

Been there, done that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Well Wiley, you can tell yourself the 1072 is accurate, not bright and a mother in all of your different personalities if that makes you feel better about your purchase.

Opinions always vary, but I tend to agree with Gavin's assessment. Marc

Is this guy a retard? I don't see any entries from someone named "Wiley".

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 20
I would accept that diagnosis.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
Jimmy/John - The 1072 is a nice cd player. But of course it does fall under the typical sound of Rotel, which to some can come off as a bit on the bright side. Not so to everyone that is. Most like the Rotel presentation. If Rotel equipment is paired with the proper speakers, room and such, it is very nice gear. The fact that the 1072 would not be a good match for Rick's system would probably mean we can stop talking about it, and get back to what Rick has listened to in the past few days. Anything yet Rick? Don't leave us hanging dude.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us