Onkyo DX 7555 vs NAD 525BEE (or else)

Username: Fenderbender

Post Number: 1
Hello every one!

I am looking to change a few things in my stereo equipment. Main reason has to do with a change in location going from 220V to 110V. All my stuff was bought in Europe a while ago and is running on a step-up converter right now. I am going to have a few components converted, but it seems this does not make sense for my current CD player.

The basics:

I am running a Pioneer PD-S-502 into a NAD C312. Both were pretty affordable back then but served me really well. With good speakers and good cables I always loved that combination.

I actually came close to replacing the Pioneer at some point with a then current Rega, but actually liked the Pioneer better in my setup. I know - hard to believe.

Back then I also decided agains a NAD cd player, because I remember they did not have the best reputation in the mid-90s. But I don't think I ever tried one.

Anyway, I am interested now in the NAD C 525BEE and the Onkyo DX7555 based on reviews. But I am certainly open to any recommendations in that price range. I actually tried to find a U.S. model of my Pioneer on ebay etc. but have not been very successful yet. Plus I am not too eager to buy something that old when it comes to CD players.

So has anybody ever heard the NAD and the Onkyo next to each other?

Thanks.

Username: Myself

Post Number: 7
if you like the pioneer, there is a new model which costs around US$1200, the PD-D9. the PD-D9 gets extremely good review from the Hifi review(HFR) megazine. according to HFR this pioneer scores even higher than the rega Saturn.

i was also thinking about getting the Onkyo DX7555(around US$6-700) but it seems to me the pioneer is of better value and is a much much better machine with only a price differnt of US$500.

the pd-d9 is using the latest dac chips WM8741 that the very expensive Linn players use

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1106
"according to HFR this pioneer scores even higher than the rega Saturn." -Myself- that is one review, by one person. My dealer carries that new Pioneer CD player, and although it IS very good, it is no where near the Saturn IMO. I wouldn't even say its as good as the Apollo. It is good, yes, I can't knock that.

OF- Both those cd players you are looking at are very good for the money. Is there any way you can hear both. Are you planning on using the NAD 312 still? Synergy with it and the 525bee might lean me toward the NAD. I have no heard the Onkyo though. Your ears not mine.

Post Number: 2
Thanks "myself" for the idea re the PD9. I am not sure if I want to spend extra money on the SACD format since I don't think I would find more than a hand full of SACDs that I like.

In any case, your thought brought me back to Pioneer and I just found a PD UK5 that may be a good (potentially better) replacement for my PD-S502. Does anyone know anything about that unit? It seems to be a Japanese import model (running on U.S. voltage).

Nick, no, unfortunately I did not find a place yet that carries both units in question. Hence my request for first-hand experiences from knowledgable folks like you. I was already thinking of "buying" them both and returning the loser...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1108
"I was already thinking of "buying" them both and returning the loser..."

Thats a great idea.

We can sit here and tell you which player we like better, but your the only one that can judge which sounds better to you. Everyone has different tastes, and none of us hear the same. In my experience, I too, buy what I want to compare, and return the loser. Cheers.

I have not heard the Onkyo or that model of Pioneer you just mentioned. But I have heard the 525bee more times that I can count, and it sounds good for the money. I owned a 521bee and was happy with it.

Username: Morph

Post Number: 1
I've been lurking here for a couple of days and finally decided to comment..

QF: I've owned the NAD C542 for 6 months and have not had any issues and it's extremely good for it's price point. As a matter of fact if you're interested send me an email, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and am thinking about parting with mine.

myself: Not tryng to thread-jack, but, after seeing your numerous posts about the Pioneer PD-D9-J, I decided to search out any info, and came up empty,has it even hit the US market yet? I'm also a little skeptical about the claims of it besting the Saturn, I know it has the latest Wolfson DACs, but good SQ is more than using the latest chips, it's also about implementation, and Pioneer seems to be spread too thin (TVs,DVDs, etc...) to be concerned about premium audio quality... oh well the search continues..

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12223

If you're interested in the Onkyo CD player, why not consider the companion integrated amplifier?

Post Number: 3
Jan,

because I am frankly quite happy with my NAD amp. That's why I am even willing to spend some money on converting the power supply rather then getting a new one.

Post Number: 8
of,
here's a link to ebay selling of pd-d9:
(http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-PD-D9-J-Super-Audio-CD-Player_W0QQitemZ180212414485Q QcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0802020981a1883)

Post Number: 9
dear all,
actually i have been out of the market for long long time. i'm still using a Wadia WT2000(20+years old) with Parasound dac2000(10+).

i'm looking for a new cd player. first, i read review and found that Onkyo dx7555 was real good than rega Apollo and finally rega Saturn. All of them are of good price performance ratio. they have one thing in common using the Wolfen WM8740 chips. i almost bought Saturn.

suddenly, i read from Wolfen that they have updated their dacs that WM8740 is an obsolete chips and soon be replaced by WM8741. many of the short coming of WM8740 will be corrected.(you guys just need to yahoo search WM8741)

to me, dx7555, apollo and saturn are out immediately. they should lower the price on this current model or the mark2 using the new chips are due extremely soon. (i read that WM8741 is almost exchangable to WM8740 but technically i don't know)

so i start searching for WM8741 and found that only Pioneer PD-D9 and Linn(very expensive) are using WM8741. PD-D9 is only 40%-50% the price of Saturn and very affordable. Pioneer represents the Japaneses(more analytical, drier but should give more information) sound and Rega represents European sound(more elegant).

however, the setup(cables(power cord, inter-connect, speaker), racks(difference wood, metal or mable), speakers, room accousitics, spike and cone) can compensate and will all have influence on the final sound

to conclude, i'll wait. a lot of WM8741 players will arrive. if i buy, i'll only get player with the WM8741. WM8741 have superior resolution that the WM8740 will never achieve.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9752
Thats cool, m.
However, there is a pickup, a motor, a power supply , a case, sound deadeners, and support feet to consider as well.
A set of ic's on their own sound a little dead without all the other stuff as well.

Post Number: 3
Interesting post, "myself", I am in the market, currently for a new player, and the 840c, apollo, and at a looong shot Saturn were in my sights, but I have a feeling that a new model is due out soon... Not sure if it's worth holding out a little longer if this 8741 chip is really the next step (?????).

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6175
Here we go with the chips again. Yourself, did you read the posts that were meant for you today. There really is more to a player than chips. I owned a very nice Audio Refinement deck that was behind the entire industry with it's chipset yet it whipped most of the players it was competing with for SQ. As has already been stated it's about the implementation of the technolgy as well as the execution..quality manufacturing. There are more variables but I don't have all night to write them...you get the point...I hope.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12230

"Not sure if it's worth holding out a little longer if this 8741 chip is really the next step (?????)."

I'd hold out for the 8742 chip. It'll be even better.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1824
Sometimes, I feel like giving myself a good kick up the backside. In fact I will. Ouch!

Myself, naturally I like you, you are an intelligent, good looking guy, but I should listen (or read) what others are saying. There is more to what makes a good cdp other than just the chip. For example, the new Nain CD5i is using an updated dac, but an older Wolfsen version, the WM8706, because they think that's the one to suit the electronics of that machine. The 8740 and 8741 are high performance DAC's and each one will be used according to the designers and what they believe is the best unit (s) for individual cdp's.

So, I hope I've learnt something now that I have given myself a good kick in the backside.

Post Number: 4
Jan, real cute. I was trying to say, perhaps in a not so eloquent way, that with the rapid evolution of chips, I might find myself on the downward slope of a curve, only because most of the cdps I have been looking at have been around 3+ years. I understand that more goes into it than just DAC's.. (I mentioned that a day ago).
Looking at Rega's track record, they don't spit out a new release every quarter, but the span of time between the planet and planet 2k was approximately 5 years, well long story short after being burned before, I'm just trying to be somewhat prudent without going overboard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
dear all,
you guys are right, the chip is only one of the many things...there are so many things that influence the sound of a player...and i haven't disagree with you guys so far

i just want to express myself's opinion: i want to get my player using WM8741 which has the highest resolution of all the Wolfsen series

M.R.
LOL, you had better compare the latest Naim to the latest Linn to appreciate WM8706

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6176
MR...that's classic...I'm still laughing!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Jan,
LOL. seriously we should hold out for MW8743

thanks for being so nice

Post Number: 5
that's WM8743 ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
MW8743 is the X+ generation of WM8743.

thanks to each of you for the opinions...i have had a lot of fun

i have to go to Prague and UK for 2 weeks so i have to stop posting for just a while(hopefully i will find more WM8741 machine after my vacation...hehehe)

miss you guys

Post Number: 4
Wow. This is even better than the 100% tube versus digital discussion that I hear around some of my musician friends. I highly recommend visiting a record studio to see how stuff is actually made. That'll give some perspective on the enormous differences between chip A and chip B.
Anyhow, I appreaciate all you input. I just bought an old Pioneer UK5 and I found somebody who will be able to convert my NAD to U.S. voltage ratings. So there is a good chance I will have very similar or slightly better sound then what I enjoyed for the last 10 years or so.

Here are my other two cents: if anyone wants to obsess over details, start with the cables. Based on my experience as a musician (and from my hifi setup) I can guarantee you that that is one of the things with the most significant impact.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2699
OF - cables are the most hotly disputed and discussed subject in HiFi on the 'net.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9753
Wanna start a war?

Start with cables and ic's.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12236

"Wanna start a war?"

Can't, I'm busy waiting for the WM9741 chip.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
OF
so you have bought an old pioneer "UK5"...is it "UK5" or "PD-S501UK" or "PD-S502UK"...i have a PD-S901(almost 15 years old)...it has voltage choice of 110v and 220v, 240v

Post Number: 5
Hi myself,

It is infact a "UK5" - nothing else. It is an import model from Japan. Check this here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://audio-heritage.jp/PIO NEER-EXCLUSIVE/player/pd-uk5.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/sea rch%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/player/pd-uk5.html%26hl %3Den

This thing ROCKS! The NAD problem was finally solved with a 325BEE. I am quite happy with this combination. It is very similar in a way to my old combination, but even better - just the little extra speed and punch. Love it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
OF,
congratulations.
i look at the link...this UK5 looks great...it should be a "higher-end" version of 502...it looks like the UK5 uses premium parts(comparing to 502)...

how much did you pay for it...pioneer uses 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 to grade their higher-end cd players...next time you might be interested in finding an old 1995-1996 "7" or "9"...the sound is very refined for the 9 at that time

Post Number: 6
Thanks myself,

From what I found so far about the "UK" series, they were Japan only models that were "UK-tuned" as in making them more "linear" and "british" sounding. I read somewhere that in fact Pioneer England played a role in this. The only models I saw were the UK3 and the UK5. I don't think there was any other. Everything else would then be the PD-T07, T09, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
OF,
"Everything else would then be the PD-T07, PD-T09" are the ones that i was talking about... i've listened to them before...they are real good...the major difference are premium grade parts, better power supply, better transformer, thick and sturdy shell...etc

btw, does your UK5 has any detachable power cord...a better power cord would produce better sound

Username: Derricker

Post Number: 10
I have been reading these posts for quite a while, and am debating on getting a CD player. I have NEVER REALLY OWNED ONE. I just play CD's on my $40 Best Buy DVD player.

I have Pioneer MS2 and CX2 amp and preamp, and KLIPSCH RF5 speakers. I use Monster Cable (big) for the speakers, and $100 super big Monster Cable between amp and preamp.

I was thinking of spending $1200 for a CD player. At this price point (please no higher, maybe $50 over), what would some good options be? I can head to stereo stores to listen, but if I don't have an idea of what I'm looking at, I'll be intimidated out of even starting to compare.

Thanks! Ricker

Rick,

I think you might want to spend your 1500 more wisely. Such an expensive CD player will not make any sense in your current setting.

If I were you I would sell everything. Take the 1500 and built something new from scratch; maybe keep the speakers if you like them.

Personal pet peeve: what is with the Monster cables?? I am a guitar player and good cables are very important for us, especially since you end up using a lot of them as soon as a rig becomes a little more complex. Monster cables are at the bottom of the food chain. The used to be cheap crappy cables. Somehow they have managed to run a marketing campaign that allows them to charge premium prices. Now they are expensive crappy cables. And this is not some voodoo belief system, but actually measurable. The difference at line level between stereo components will not be as big as with passive guitar pickups but I thought I put it out there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I would like to slowly upgrade my system -- starting with the CD player, then preamp, then amp, etc. I don't want to take little steps and rebuy everything over and over again. That's why I want the REGA over the NAD if its potential is much better.

Several people have jumped on me for having Monster Cable brand products. What are some reasonably priced interconnects please, that sound great? Thanks, Ricker

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10131
Rick, take a look at DIYAudio.com

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6799
Blue Jeans cable is said to be quite a bargain.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10135
Yup!

Post Number: 8
Rick, sorry, I did not mean to jump on you. This is all very subjective.

I personally like Einstein cables.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
"OF" fenderbender -- I am pretty opinionated myself, no worries! I will look into EINSTEIN and BLUE JEAN. Thanks a lot!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us