Rotel RCD 1072
Musical Fidelity X-Ray
Audio Refinement Complete CD
Musical Fidelity A-3

Are all these in the same class?

Have a HK 3480
NAD C-270
Polk RTi12 Speakers

I listen mostly Rock and Jazz, room 20 x 16. I listen at moderate volume (Diana Krall, Alicia Keys) but love to cranck it up sometimes. (Led Zepellin, Sabbath, Rush, Floyd etc.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1499
Why those players? Your local dealer carry all of those? Can you audition any of these players in your current system? Where do you plan on taking your system in the future? Do you have a plan? More information is needed.

Username: Hifinewbie

Post Number: 2
Hi Nick,

Once I buy a CD Player, I have no plans to change anything in a long while. Money is tight. Chose these players based on information I gathered reading on the net, some from this forum.
The problem is that it is very difficult for me to audition as I need to move on a wheel chair.

Thanks!

Post Number: 3
btw

I will buy a used one

Thanks again!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2703
New,

The Rotel RCD 1072 isn't in the same class as the others. I've heard numerous times, and from numerous people - including repair techs - that YBA CD players (Audio Refinement is YBA's entry-level) are the biggest pieces of junk. They sound very good, but are very poorly designed, and parts were scarce when they were in production. They've been discontinued, so that'll probably make the problem worse.

To be totally honest, I'm not sure if the MF CD players will be worth the money if you plan on keeping your system the way it is. Only you can answer that though. They have more resolution than your current gear has, and a good portion of what makes them the players they are may be lost. Maybe not.

I've heard Rotel CD players with NAD amplification on a number of occasions, and it was never a good thing. They don't bring out each others best qualities. Others here have observed this too.

I'd personally look into NAD CD players, which seem like they'll fit nicely into your system. The 542 is an excellent CD player, and has had very few issues. Brand new and at full retail price, its a hell of a bargain. There's usually a few listed on Audiogon, but not at the moment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1502
New To Hi-Fi- I completely agree with Stu's post. None of those players will have good synergy with your system. Especially the Rotel. Rotel and NAD, are the complete opposite, and go together like Oil and Water. The only cd player I would put in that system IS a NAD. They are a great bargain as Stu said, and the C542 is a good cd player all around period.

Post Number: 4
Stu and Nick,

I truly appreciate your help. Like I said earlier, great Forum.

I will look into the 542.

Kind regards

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10194
Let us know what you find, N2H

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2704
If you have more money budgeted for the CD player than what a 542 costs, you may want to look into upgrading the pre-amp too. The HK 3480 is well made, but its not the best pre-amp around. If you can find a used NAD C162 pre-amp, you'll be far better off with that and a 542 than you would with something like a MF CD player.

If you don't have the money, disregard this. I'm not trying to get you to spend more. But if you can comfortably swing it, it should work out very well. Also keep in mind that if you buy used and for the right price, you can sell it for little to no loss, or maybe even a slight profit if you feel it wasn't worth having in your system. You could also sell the HK to recover some of the cost.

As an alternative to the 542, you may also want to look into a Rega Planet 2000. Its an excellent CD player that's commonly sold for a very good price. Its far better than the NAD 542, and shouldn't cost a whole lot more.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1213807125

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but Audiogon is probably the best place to shop for used gear. I've bought and sold a few things over there, and have had all good experiences.

http://audiogon.com/

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2705
You may also want to look into Spearit Sound, which sells refurbished NAD gear with full warrantee. They have a 542 for $369, which may be a few bucks more than a used one, but you have the safety of a warrantee. They have other NAD CD players and gear as well -

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

Post Number: 5
Stu,

What can I say, thanks man, very good information. The Rega looks very nice lots of positive reviews and as you mentioned it is a better player than the NAD, I just might as well pull a plug on one from Audiogon (Thanks for the link btw).
Wow! to think that I had limited myself to very few options!

Thank you guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 1503
Rock on NTHF- the Rega Planet 2000 rocks. Have fun and enjoy the music.

Bronze Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 72
i agree with stu on the hk pre amp. personally had a 3480 and wasnt any good. you'll get a lot more gratification listening to your music if you change your pre

Post Number: 6
Nick,
Thanks

Francis,
I will certainly consider the pre upgrade, however, it will have to wait a while. Challenging financial times man!

Thank you all

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10210
N2HF, that is one part that we ALL understand!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us