Pairing NAD, Rotel with Adcom power amp?

Username: Stevei

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a preamp to pair with my Adcom GFA-545 II power amp. I bought the amp used when the amp section of my Luxman receiver failed (it had pre-out/main-in jacks, so I'm currently using the receiver as a tuner/preamp), and now I'm looking to build a better system around the Adcom.

I'm considering the NAD C-162 and Rotel RC-1070. I really want the six line inputs, phono input, and remote control that both these preamps offer.

Before I go listening, what else should I add to my list in this price range?

Also I'm interested in some more general advice...

My plan is to slowly upgrade the system piecemeal. Is the Adcom a reasonable power amp to serve as a basis for this? And, is getting a preamp to replace the receiver a good next step, or should I be looking to replace the speakers first (15-year-old Infinity SM82 bookshelf).

Thanks for any advice...

-Steve

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 721
Steve:

I am surprised you did not get any response here. Oh, well. . .

A few points:

1. Either the NAD or the Rotel would make for a good step up and should have no problem working with the Adcom amp. You would be hard pressed to find a better stereo pre-amp than the NAD or Rotel for anything close, money-wise. However, if you would like a tuner thrown in, check out the B&K Reference 5 S2 pre-amp. Also, I have not heard it yet (the Parasound dealer in my area just closed his doors), but there is a new Parasound pre-amp called the New Classic 2000, which looks very nice. Here is a link:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PARCP2000&product_name=N ew%20Classic%202000%20Preamplifier

2. If it were me, I would be inclined to get new speakers first. Set a budget and then go looking. Your Adcom amp is pretty warm sounding, so something a little on the more forward side would be a good choice, such as the JMLabs Cobalt bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio Silver Series, or even better, check out the Magnepans (assuming you can use floor-standing speakers). Check these speakers out--they are the very best speakers available for under $1000 (and they are only $550.00):

http://www.magnepan.com/_mmg.php

I hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 866
Steve,

I'll thown in too. Take a look at the Outlaw 990, if you're looking for 7.1 channel and a nice feature set at a great price. I just bit the bullet on the Outlaw 970, a little more reasonable and I'll run it to my Adcom 7706.

Now, having said all that, Hawk's right, better speakers will make a huge improvement in your sound. But, that's a whole different ballgame so go to the speaker forum and you'll get tons of advice, there. Good luck, Dave

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2936
Do be careful with the Magnepans though. I would do a search here to see other comments on them. This is one area where I must respectfully disagree with Hawk. I owned Maggies, both the MMG's and the MG12's and am much happier with my Paradigms. The Magnepan's have a very seductive sound but in the end they aren't very accurate or versatile. That is just my opinion and I must add that when I first heard the Maggies I was in love but after a time and much listening I went back to dynamic speakers and won't look back (though I wouldn't mind having a spare pair of MMG's around just to take around the block every once and a while...lol).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us