Philips 778 CD recorder; vinyl to CD

Username: Vengeance66

Worcester, Ma

Post Number: 1
I'm trying desperately to record vinyl to CD. I have a Technics SL1200 connected to a Gemini PMX 40 stereo preamp mixer connected to a Pioneer VSX-D309. I have the CD player connected to the "tape out" jack on the Pioneer. It won't let me record vinyl to CD but it makes great sounding CD copies! Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 8
I believe that model has the front-panel LED 'VU' meters... are you getting a signal level indication on them? If not, are you sure you have the 'analog' input selected? Do you have another device you can hook to the 'tape out' jacks on your Pioneer to ensure you really have a signal there? If you have a proper 'VU' level showing and you still cannot get it to record, it seems like there is a problem with the A-D converter in the Philips CDR. If you are sure you have a signal at the 'tape out' jacks, and have the Philips input selected correctly, then it would imply a problem with the source switching circuit in the Philips.
HTH

mollers
Unregistered guest
my husband has a HP pavilion 7955. i would like to give him the component that is needed to burn his vinyl to cd with quality sound. please help me with what, where, apprx. cost. thank you!

Username: Liligis

Caracas, Miranda Venezuela

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm newbie. I need urgently your help to make a decision before next thursday: I want to record a lot of my old LP's on CD's and just found a Philips CDR 765 in the internet for the equivalent of US$176(in our currency).It looks to me a bit expensive, I asked for a reduction and he said no. Anyway, I was almost decided to buy it until I made some investigation and found this forum tonight and read that this recorders are out-dated products and that it's very difficult to find blank Audio CD's that really work without this machine. I see you're having trouble with 775 and 800 which are the "newer" models.. Then I think that with 765 (the older model) will be worse. Please, what do you think? is it worth I buy it? Which other alternatives I have? My sound equipment is a simple integrated Fisher which has only 2 output connections: one for CD and another for TV/VCR. How can I connect the sound equipment to my computer to record my albums? (I don't have RCA holes in my PC). And what else do I need for this? Thank you very much.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 427
I have a Pionier model PDR 609 that I got to copy my huge vinyl collection. Have only used it so far as a player.

So I came on this forum and with the great education from the regulars, I bought a nice turntable and integrated amp for that system. Then I started to re discover my LPs. Never got around to trying to burn a cd! Just enjoying playing the albums. Well, I have a big enough collection of cds to keep my busy in the other places I listen to music.

Another distraction was getting interested in improving my hifi and I bought a whole new system for the living room too.

Now you have made me very curious, so I will try to burn an LP to Cd asap.

I used to copy LPs to 8 track,
then to reel to reel,
then to cassette.
I guess that this generation to cd should be straight forward with all that experience, but the equipment is more complex.

I better hurry before cds are obsolete!

The "music server" era is dawning but from what I read, it is even more complex than cdr machines and many many times more expensive.

Unfortunately, while there is excellent expertise here for everything else, it seems we are a very small minority.
Seems everyone burns cds on the computer and simply plays their LPs for enjoyment.

Username: Liligis

Caracas, Miranda Venezuela

Post Number: 2
Interesting point of view, Kevin! I understand perfectly what you say.

Once upon a time when I was at high school and University, I used to record songs for my LP`s to cassettes, and it was a sort of nice hobby for me, I even recorded tapes for my friends selecting songs from many records and counting seconds between tracks and tried to do my best. Time passed and I abandoned all this. Now a "bit" older (haha)I had to learn to copy music CD's in my PC (even to convert files to MP3) for my little niece, and recently I had a look at all those LP's and got the feeling I must save many of them before they get lost or damaged.

Today I made a deal with the vendor of the CD recorder to have a look at it before buying it. I think I'll buy it anyway, 'cause I had a mental glimpse on the many things I needed to buy and get arranged and learn-to-do in order to copy my LP's to computer, and the much money and domestic complications involved (need to buy a pre-amp, cables, audio software, discs cleaning stuff, etc.
move the turntable next to the computer -where...? !!).

So I'll keep in contact here and tell you how I'm doing step by step. Wish me good luck, also good luck for you .
Regards

Gisele

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 428
Oh, I see I am alone after all, because I am only trying to make cds and not put into a computer.

I guess you want that so you can put the music on iPod?

I have friends yelling at me to go all digital but that does not really appeal to me because I already have many hundreds of cds and 3 players in the house and in 3 cars!
Besides, I wouldn't live long enough to digitize all my music even if I tried!
Plus, I would much rather listen to music on a HiFi than on an iPod. It would be a lot of work to transfer the music to computer, then load into the iPod. only to plug the ipod in next to the cd player.

There are turntables on the market that plug right into the computer. I don't guess the quality is the same as a hifi only turntable.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/8b88447e3530f153/index.html

IF I was interested in doing that (not), I would simply put a notebook ("Laptop") computer on the hifi.
IF I decide to get an Ipod I will simply put CDs into the computer, or download new music offline and not worry about the vinyl albums.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 429
Types of recordable CD discs: "audio" vs others

One more issue pointed out in other threads here and on other websites:

Even though general purpose CD-R and CD-RW discs and their consumer audio versions appear for all practical purposes identical, only blank medEven though general purpose CD-R and CD-RW discs and their consumer audio versions appear for all practical purposes identical, only blank media bearing the OCompact Disc Digital Audio RecordableO (CD-DA Recordable) and OCompact Disc Digital Audio RewritableO (CD-DA Rewritable) logos can be written in consumer audio recorders. The reason for this restriction is to comply with international copyright agreements. A special Disc Application Code present in the ATIP information of a CD-DA Recordable/Rewritable discOs pregroove wobble identifies it specifically for audio use. Consumer audio recorders are programmed to reject discs not containing the correct code.ia bearing the OCompact Disc Digital Audio RecordableO (CD-DA Recordable) and OCompact Disc Digital Audio RewritableO (CD-DA Rewritable) logos can be written in consumer audio recorders. The reason for this restriction is to comply with international copyright agreements. A special Disc Application Code present in the ATIP information of a CD-DA Recordable/Rewritable discOs pregroove wobble identifies it specifically for audio use. Consumer audio recorders are programmed to reject discs not containing the correct code.

http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa8.htm

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 430
An interesting article from- the absolute sound, Dec 2007,
"Special Report on Music Servers".

When I have a spare $5000 to $10000, I will jump into the new century full bore:

re: Sooloos and Qsonic Music Servers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us