Very basic, newbie-ish kind of question

Username: Dem372

Post Number: 1
Hello. I have a very basic, possibly stupid question (keep in mind I am fairly ignorant about audio topics).

I received a cheap pair of wireless speakers for my birthday. You hook these speakers up to the receiver by plugging them into the headphone jack.

Want I want to know is, is there a way to plug something like that into the headphone jack while listening to my standard speakers? When I plug the wireless ones in, it cuts the sound to the standard ones, as expected. Is there some kind of splitter, or workaround so it keeps the sound in both places?

The receiver is a Pioneer home theater 5.1. I have checked the manual and there is nothing about it in there (but its not an overly detailed manual). I am hoping there is some kind of general settings most receivers have that I am just not seeing.

Anyway, thanks for reading and for any replies...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12379

The headphone jack is a "normalized" type. When you insert the plug it breaks the contacts to the speaker outputs. You would have to replace the headphone jack with a non-normalized stereo unit. This would require work inside the receiver. If you aren't comfortable doing this work yourself, you should take it to a technician.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 188
I know alot of vintage gear is able to do that, I have an 80's model akai and plays through the left and right channel when the headphones are plugged in, same with my 70's jvc unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us