Apallo rejects new CJ disc!

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 466
A Concord Jazz new factory cd should be no problem for Apollo?

Back in my previous "Naim life" I got frustrated because the cdp would refuse many discs. I sold it because it was also hard to set the weight.

Please tell me Apollo is not tempermental!
Yes, that cd plays in all my other cdp units.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6497
It'll play in your Apollo too. The Apollo loses it's mind on some cd's. Give it time to read and if it still doesn't seem to get it hit back one track then forward and then play, works every time (and those times are few) for me. Honestly my Rotel has more trouble with cd's than the Apollo. Just take the time to get to know it and you'll be fine.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 467
Great to hear! That is the only one so far.

It is a a very nice album by Warren Vache-
Iridescence w/Hank Jones, Duvivier and Alan Dawson

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 468
No luck. Oh well, it is only one cd.

When I play with it I get different messages: disc blank, initializing, door open, and sometimes a disc number 1, 2 or 3.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6512
I don't have any cd's that won't play. It stops one song shy of the end of my Stephon Harris - African Tarantella CD. If you have good software make a copy and it should play. Generally when a player won't play a disc or cd it's an indexing problem which you can get around by making a copy.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1282
Im in the same boat as Art. I have never had any problems playing any cd's on my Apollo. It hasn't even skipped, or anything.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 469
Thanks. I will go with the copy. Fabulous cdp! Now playing Cassandra :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Morph

Post Number: 34
Speaking of read errors (???) This should make some interesting bathroom reading:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1203561091&read&3&4&

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1849
Back in my previous "Naim life" I got frustrated because the cdp would refuse many discs. I sold it because it was also hard to set the weight.

Kevin, I found that there was a couple of times the Apollo had trouble reading a couple of cd's, but resettling them seems to fix the problem. The Naim CD5i however has never had a problem and I've never needed anyone to help me set that enormous weight . It's actually a magnetic clamp which I find not difficult in the slightest.

Other cdp's I've had always had the occassional read problem but never enough to be a real worry. Did you try this disc on another player?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 471
I am not worried yet about the Apollo based on the one cd.

As for the Naim, I don't remember the model but it looks like the new ones. It must be at least 5 yrs old or more.
That player refused about 10% of cds which was too high to be acceptable.
If the magnetic clamp was not centered, you got mechanical noise. It did not have one set spot where it locked in. You could set it in off center, which I often did when playing it in low light and without my glasses. So you had to stop reopen it and reset it until you got it right. I felt that it should have been designed to have one spot where the clamp dropped in and not force you to guess at it.
I really did like the sound though.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2770
There have been several Naim puck designs. The original top hat design had a very powerful magnet and self-centred easily. It also had only one rubber leg. It was effective but the rubber leg could get crushed over time so after some years the puck had o be replaced.

Not having learned their lesson (!) Naim continued to produce pucks with rubber legs. It sounds to me like your model was the original Naim CD5. This used a VAM1205 mech with Puck3 I believe. Three rubber legs and 3 longmetal points which pinned the disc to the transport - if set correctly. None of those pucks seemed to centre very positively apart from the original, but this has been improved significantly.

The only current Naim CD player to use a puck with rubber legs is the CDS3. All the rest have pucks which self-centre and do not have anything that can get crushed! With my CDX2, which was modified in 2006 to use the VAM1202 and rubberless puck5, I literally throw my puck toward the centre of the disc from 2 - 3 inches away and it always self-centres - bl00dy marvellous! The same mech and puck are used on CD5i, CD5i, CD5x and CDX2.

This doesn't mean that they'll read anything. Apparently, when setting up a mechanism to read discs, there are several adjustments that can be made. In essence you can set up the mech to read more discs or read less discs more accurately. Naim veer toward the latter to get the best possible sound. I believe the Rega products do something similar in software and so can be a bit finicky with certain discs, most of which are either on the verge of the readability standard or beyond it.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 472
Great. I will get a CD5i for my next "Naim Life" :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us