Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4829
LOL!!!

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1891
Nuck:Spilled my ayem coffee whilst reading your kick/wallet comment. (double grin) Yeah, she might just do that - then take the wallet and run!

BTW - I got to a-wondering why the heck Helen (AKA Hell-un) and friends would actually open the guest bedroom? Why would Jerry be in there, in the first place?

Mer answered, after talking with Helen (Helen talks to Mer, not to me. . .sigh) Helen said that Jerry often goes in there to watch sports on the 50-inch TV set, because she hates sports and "won't let him" watch them on the living room setup. Sigh. whadda marriage, eh?

Anyway, the women apparently thought that the hooting and hollering going on was a sports show - which, I guess, it really turned out to be, didn't it? (triple grin)

I'm thinking ole Jer is going to get his clock really cleaned on this one. . .and as duh wife has two fellow eyewitnesses, well, I think he doesn't stand a chance.

So much for Swampville soap opera. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4832
I wonder if there is a dedicated circuit in the motel room...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7422
hehehe

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4697
Bulletin from the audio edge: 256 kbps aac iTunes Plus download of Bruckner Symphony No 3 (EMI; Rattle/BPO) sounds really grim. Second movement does not download at all. A dead waste of £7.99.

Back to the topic, there was the old story of the "HiFi widow" who gave up on her obsessive husband, and so took up low fidelity at high frequency.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4698
Sorry, Symphony No. 4. I have No. 3 on CD. Two versions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7438
It seems 'HiFi widow' had 2 versions as well then, John!
Or the same content on multiple floormats!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4699
:-)

So this is back to topic after, Nuck. Is the experience enhanced by using a high-resolution floormat....?

And let's not discuss uploading and downloading.

As Tom Lehrer sang

"Everything is lewd, when correctly viewed".

Gold Member

Post Number: 7471
Right,mate.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4900
I posted this on Music Selections but felt it appropriate here as well.

RIP - The Musique Gourmet

Sad news; we are losing the best independent classical music store that I know of...you'll find mention of it in my profile. The Musique Gourmet is closing it's doors after 22 years. I will miss Don Lambden immensely. He sent his loyal customers a monthly newsletter with "Don's Choice" new releases and discounts. He was also an important sponser of KWAX one of this country's finest classical music radio stations, public, no advertising and no news, just music and music education...how fresh! I made a monthly pilgrimmage to Eugene to buy new classical from Don...what a shame.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10597

From The New York Times, Monday, June 11; " ... after some time spent researching the whole issue, I decided to just back away from the mouse. Data is not knowledge, and information is not insight ... "

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4950
Hope ya'll don't mind if I share. Tonight I lost the person who helped me through 10 of the 12 years I was a single parent.

A beautiful woman who always put everybody else first in front of her personal interests. She was beating breast cancer until last thursday when she was told that it had spread to her liver and marrow....she died last night...I just found out...I'm devastated...

My wife is in Seattle watching her grandaughter in ballet and trust me she wouldn't understand, in fact she wouldn't accept that I'm devastated...I'm not sure I do. Thanks for letting me express myself and I'm sorry for bringing down the thread.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 245
My condolences, Art.
Sounds like a true friend.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 445
Art,

My heart goes to you, my prayers to your friend. I understand your dilemma and empathize. Most if not all wives may not favor your feelings to another women. Not the first 5 seconds anyway.

My suggestion is to share your grief with your wife, you may be surprised. Unless she felt that your friend was too much a part of your life at any time during your relationship to wit I would agree, she would not understand.

Lastly, accept the fact that you lost someone very dear to you who not matter what would always be there for you. She was a rare friend and you were fortunate to experience her and I sense she was fortunate to have you in her life as well.

Thanks for thinking us your friends to share with at this moment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7613
Art, I will call when I see that you are up.

You have my condolances, my friend, and please let them wash you.(Miles Goodwyn)
The loss is awful, but the suffering is over, let the memories start to flow.Remember all the help that was offered so selflessly, all the caring and support, and take that into your own life, with the memory of your friend always in the back of your mind.

As per the partner that you have commited your life to:talk.In person. This friend has now passed, and is no longer a threat. You are safe to open up to your wife, and seek the support that you so badly need.
If Sherilynn is away for a long time, call.
If she is due home soon)hope), then welcome her home in fine fashion, then seek her comfort over a glass of wine.

Brother, the forum is a poor replacement for personal comfort(text on a page), beyond that, I really feel for you, man. It's been a hard 2 years on your scene, I only hope it gets to the place you want to be.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7615
Art, you need to carry your phone and use vibrate.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4952
Thanks guys...today is a new day and all is well. Thanks for the call Nuck...much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7626
Any time FOM(friend of mine).
Take care.

More FOM's, less bullshite all 'round.

Clapton Unplugged again, on the tubes.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1390
Art, it's hard to lose someone who means so much. I can't add anymore to what has been said above, but we feel your sorrow.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4968
Thank you MR...I appreciate that very much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7638
http://www.torontosun.com/News/OtherNews/2007/06/17/4267283-sun.html

Art, if this doesn't make you feel better, nothing will!

Cheers, boys!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1391
I'll bet if it was Mick Jagger singing 'Symphony for the Devil' people would have taken more notice. Incredible!

Good find Nuck.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4996
It's too bad...

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1433
Hello to all "DOGS". I justed wanted to drop by and ask if anyone is going to the Crossroads Festival in Chicago next month. Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy will be worth the price of admission alone. Did I mention some guy named Clapton will be there too? LOL! Stay well.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10647

July in Chicago. Sounds like fun.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1402
Hi Rick, the answer is: not unless you send a couple of return tickets LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7666
I'll look into it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7692
So I get back home yesterday and our daughter has a funny look on clock. Says 'will your speakers fill a hall'?

Seems I am going to DJ the gig next fall.

Room for 125 people.

Might be the little engine that could.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10674

Rent.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7702
Powered monitors and small bins, with my stuff(bulletproof) to provide the dinner hour music?
I would not ever run an open mic through my stuff, so a pair of Peaveys will be there, providing the MC with something easily.

Hmm, yep, that'll be it J. But not the awful, horrid punishment of the Behringer powered monitors at a BuckandDoe a few weekes back.
Truly, astoundingly horrid! The mp3's didn't help, but I nearly died.
Mrs. Nuck was appaled.
Now, in That room, I could have done it easily, unless timing was hard(didn't seem to be).
And thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 285
Nuck...who's gonna be there to throw on Louis Armstrong's Wonderful World for Dad and Daughter?

Congrat's. Sounds like fun.

and leave the J Geils Love Stinks at home, huh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7703
Know what? I'm gonna start a thread in speakers beside speaker guys for wedding music, and leave the gear issue hear, though it seems solved.
Looney Tunes music at dinner on my stuff, rentals for the bulk and mic.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1947
Nuck,

Is this for your daughter's wedding? Regardless of what equipment is to be used, don't DJ it. Pay someone else. Would you rather walk around, converse with people and enjoy your daughter's wedding, or sit behind some speakers?

A friend of mine had his wedding catered by his father. The idea was that no one would take care of it as well and be as meticulous as his father. Everything was done flawlessly, but in the end, his father didn't exactly have the free time that he should have had. An excellent idea on paper, but the execution left a lot to be desired by him and his father. Had they to do it over again, his father would have left it to someone else, and enjoyed the day more.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1948
For a wedding song, my wife and I ended up with Louis Armstrong. I wanted Van Morrison's Into the Mystic or Moondance, but they got shot down. Appearently my wife thinks that it would have been too hard to dance to those.

Whatever... I had more important things to address, like the food, beer, and liquor selection. They brought in Guinness for me and Johnnie Walker Blue for my father.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5047
I love "Into the Mystic", fabulous tune. One song I don't have, I must do something about that.

"and leave the J Geils Love Stinks at home, huh?"

Uh...yeah...!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7706
Thanks all. The play list will come offa the laptop with cd as backup, so ain't no way I am gonna miss a beat, or a minute!
I really appreciate all the input, for sure!
I like the Colin James 'into the mystic' released last year. Can't peg the album.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7720
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CTV-TOP STORIES_V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20070627%2fSam_RecordMan_070627

A crying shame.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10717

Quite possibly, but the good news is Paris is free at last.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7724
Gosh, I thought the German Army were routed out of there years ago. Is the Art OK?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10720

Why, you numbskull! I oughta ...

Pick a finger.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10721

Now, call Art and ask if he's OK.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5053
Accounted for!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7727
Oh good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7805
Guard dog bark.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7821
Beuhler...Beuhleeeer...

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4701
Just checking in. We have moved house. It has a really fine listening room with far better acoustics than the one we had before. Also a door to close on the rest of the house. The move cost be internet access at home. Restored yesterday.

Sorry to read of your sad loss, Art. Recently I discovered that my "ex" of about a hundred years ago has split from the other guy. I always wanted her to be happy. I hoped she would be.

I'll drop in from time to time (Hi, Rick!). But my HiFi obsession has waned, and given way to work (much better these days) and to music. I have resolved not to buy any more issues of HiFi News.

I am very happy with the stereo system I have, and thank all those here who helped me get there over the last few years. There are always new things to learn, of course. Never complacent, I'll be back with anything that looks like a useful new trick, and always keen to know what the Old Dogs think, and are up to.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10776

"I have resolved not to buy any more issues of HiFi News."

Me too. What worthless drivel they've produced lately.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4702
I agree completely, Jan. How are the mighty fallen. These days, I'd go for Stereophile every time.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10777

I'd almost go for "What HiFi".

Nah!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5084
Thanks for your thoughts John and good to hear from you.

With what's been goin' on with all of the audio press it appears that Stereophile has risen to the top...again.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4703
Cheers, Art.

HFN doesn't review anything affordable any more. Also the reviews are just words thrown at the reader. They have started rating things with colourful pie-charts where the sum of the sectors is variable, usually around about 300 %.

I conclude that their target reader has more money than sense, and doesn't like music. It used to be the exact opposite.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7851
They have started rating things with colourful pie-charts where the sum of the sectors is variable, usually around about 300 %.

Nice. I wonder how pretty charts and questionable math affect Verde?
By your opinion, John, not very much.
I agree with your assessment of throwing words at the reader. I am not sure how mundane reviewing stereo is, it must be difficult to keep it fresh and interesting all the time, but geez, somebody is going to spend large on the stuff, they really should put some heart into it.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 682
John, all best.

Cheers,
Sem

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4704
Cheers, Sem.

Cheers, Nuck.

Cheers, everyone here.

How time flies.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1409
"How time flies"

You sure got that right, John. Ditto the cheers.
Good to see everything working out for you.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4705
The same to you, M.R.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7921
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/07/13/4336756.html

In the name of God, is nothing sacred?!?!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1896
All dawgs: Sorry for my long absence from the Forum:

Art: Our sympathies to you, sir.

John A - Congrats on the house move. And a real listening room? Special. . .

Fans of Paul Potts: (who's he?) Listen up - the phone salesman who won a major British talent contest, will now sing for the Queen, is on the first of many tours, and just cut a CD with the London Symphony Orchestra - that's who we're talking about. Google "Paul Potts" and you'll quickly see a rags-to-riches mope who has my love-the-underdog support! An amazing voice, too! You can listen here:

text/htmlUpload
Paul Potts song.htm (31.5 k)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1897
Well, drat! Didn't seem to work. Try this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/mpd/permalink/8441:8438/026-3866000-9768465

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10818

But, Larry, he's been raked over the coals to Newcastle by the British press.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1898
Jan: His CD is also on back-order, and there are fan clubs all over the place. Have you heard him? If so, you might agree that he's got a great, if untrained, voice.
And as to The Press - well, I was once part of that bunch of prosti-toots and I know how they love to build up people, then tear them apart. Sigh.
Here's a decent guy who had horrible luck, and finally made his dream come true. I really don't care if he makes it to the Met - he can now say "I did it," and pocket that million bucks he's already been promised. Plus - he gets to sing for the Queen next year!
Nay-sayers abound, Mr. Vigne, but as a guy who came up "the hard way" myself, I love tales about underdogs who become Alpha - even for a short time.
Look at opera star Rolando Villazon, who was a history teacher and then a monk, until one of the good Fathers literally kicked him in the behind and told him "go sing!" He did. . .and with a good agent he's now on the top.
Anna Netrebko was on her hands and knees, scrubbing floors in Russia when she was heard singing, and quickly sponsored by the conductor Valery Gergiev.
The rest, as they say, is history in the making.
Will Paul Potts be another opera superstar? Of course not - but he just might be a bit happier than he was selling mobile telephones! (grin)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1899
If the New York times lets the link go through, this is a pretty fair write-up on the "Paul Potts Pnenomenon."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/weekinreview/24wakin.html?ex=1184817600&en=24d 7aaa2cc8caa1b&ei=5070#

Gold Member

Post Number: 7954
I reeeally shouldn't.
Is there an Opera Idol contest?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1900
All dawgs: Well, we'll be away to the wilds of Santa Fe, NM for some REAL opera on Tuesday. Three operas, some fine art galleries and TONS of chile peppers! A week out there and we should be revived from our usual Flawed-duh! torpor this time of year. Sigh.

Also having a wonderful time with our new, and very-much-loved Toyota Prius car. It's a wonder, and just a kick to drive. Of course, now we have to put all new speakers in it. . . . .sigh.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5117
Hey Larry enjoy your trip to the "Land of Enchantment". I lived there many moons ago.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1440
Larry, you and Mer have a great time and go easy on those chile peppers. LOL!

John A,

Have been seeing so much devastation both on the human and property levels from the terrible flooding happening in your country. Hope all is okay with you, your family and friends.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8048
Geez, Art, you are a gypsy aren't you?(or were).
From Canada as well, John A.
Roll up your trousers, sir, and take care of all.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1901
All Dawgs: Yes, we will have a good time, except for the fact that the multi-year drought has pretty well decimated all the gardens. Friends who were just there say the town is nothing like it was when they had enough water to grow flowers and veggies. Sigh.

But the music! Ahhhhhh. . .never changes, and we are anxious to immerse ourselves in the operas in SF's open-air venue. Once you've been there, you never, ever forget it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8056
And pass the water.

Larry I hope your road trip is an unqualified immersion of music and enjoyment.
Even if it is a mobile with poor speakers.
Fix that, wouldya?

How is the ride for Miss Daisy?

Cheers

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 572
Larry,

Can you see your way through Dallas per chance?

Email me to get my number, seriously.

A few of us have something up our sleeves and it would be a good time to bring you in on it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8064
Larry, Dallas is looking good.
Send Mike an email.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10915

"Dallas is looking good."

You obviously have not seen Dallas since the Acetylene warehouse blew up.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8068
I told you not to fill the tanks yourself. But oooooh noooooo...

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 577
Grab a broom, Dallas will be looking good by the time Larry can get here. Folks complained of ashes on clothes and cars. I was oblivious to it all.

Larry, Dallas beckons you! Mer too!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1902
All dawgs: So sorry, but Mer and I will be winging our way far above the blue Dallas skies - we go from Swampville to Atlanta to Albuquerque (never could spell that town!) and then drive up to SF.
Well - I still hope for a dawgs meeting - Mer and I are thinking near-seriously about a drive-around trip in 2008, which would take us through Dallas and on to Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona - places where we once lived and loved.

Meanwhile - we hope for no Big Wind whilst we are attending to opera-duties in SF. Sigh. We do love the genre so much, and especially in the open-air setting of SF. Nothing like it, anywhere!

Age 71, and the world is closing in. I'm taking it all in, and hoping that every trip I take is a good one - it may be my last. Sigh.

Happy yapping to all. . . .

LarryR

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 687
Larry, when and what route will you be taking to SF? I'll be out in central coast CA in a couple weeks. Mrs. Sem is there now, I'll be joining her soon.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1903
Sem, et al: We'll be flying, not driving this time. Only driving we'll be doing is from Albuquerque airport to Santa Fe, up to Taos, and around town. Central coast CA is good - born in Fresno, and lived early years in Monterey and San Fran.

IF all goes well, we may be driving out West in 2008, but not this year. Sorry. . . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4706
M.R. and Nuck,

Thanks for your thoughts. We're fine. Saw some spectacular floods from a train to and from Scotland last week.

So busy right now, and tired as can be. Will be back later next week.

All the best.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1446
Good to hear John, now stop work and sleep.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4707
Thanks, M.R. I survived. It's Wednesday, and I've mostly slept and listened to some music. The family are mostly plugged into the last Harry Potter book, carefully not spoiling it for each other. Me, I couldn't get past the talking cats in Vol 1. p.1 .

Life seems better these days.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1452
Good to hear to hear John. As for Master Potter, I think I'll wait for the movie as I did the others. Though an avid reader mostly of crime and thriller novels, the Potter books would take some patience for me as well.

After almost 6 weeks away, our Denon 3910 has been returned with new transport section, a few other parts as well as a software upgrade. The audio was working okay, but the problems were with the DVD's. It may have taken a little while, but at least the Denon distributors honoured the warranty without fuss.

Last up, a bit of a health setback for my loved one and we are hoping for some positve results after some tests this week and today.

And Larry, if you haven't left yet, both of you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 690
Rantz, my thoughts are with you and yours.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5135
Same here MR, praying all is well with your loved one.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 599
Sorry for your burden, in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1453
Guys, thanks sincerely. I actually didn't mean to post that here, I wasn't thinking. However, after our terrible scare last year, every hiccup is very frightening. Severe anxiety is one of the suspects, but all bases are being covered with tests.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8146
M.R. I hope everything is sorted out in good order.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1457
Nuck, thanks. Unfortunately, we are none the wiser. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get some answers. We believe (from a less qualified source) that the tests were okay. More waiting.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4709
I hope all is OK, M.R.

Nice photo on System pics!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1484
John, thanks. Check mail soon.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4710
Great to see you got out of that safely, M.R....

Stockman rescued from crocodile swamp after spending week up a tree.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1495
Well, now the jig is up!

I guess I should have taken a few lessons from Dundee.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4716
I've taken some pics and put them on the Speakers thread System pics (link above).

Mrs A thinks this is certifiable...

It's how it sounds that matters.....

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11136

It's where you sleep that matters.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1503
It's how you sleep that matters.

Mr's A is probably right John.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5243
RIP Max Roach...we lose another great one...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8342
Great indeed, Art.
A self-taught genius.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1435
Thanks for the hello John and hi to all the usual suspects. It's nice to hear all the "Dogs" are still barking. I wish you all the best.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5260
How do Rick...good to hear from ya!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8372
Is Florida still there?

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1436
Hi Art & Nuck. Yes, Florida is still here. It looks like the storm is on track for Cancun.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us