Integra 5.8 with Adcom Amp

Username: Bump71

Post Number: 1
Hello All I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice.

I recently purchased a Integra 5.8 which I am very happy with however I have an Adcom 545 collecting dust in my basement that I'm considering integrating into my system. I'm looking for opinions on what might offer me the most benifit. For example running the mains, rears etc...I'm powering KEF Cresta 2's with a PolK PSW 250 SUB. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12225

What's an Integra 5.8?

Post Number: 2
It's an AVR put out by Onkyo, Intega is similar to a Pioneer Elite or Denon Ci

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12227

Provide a link to the receiver and we'll see what can be done. Why do you want to incorporate another amplifier if you just purchased the Onkyo? What is the Onkyo not doing that you think the Adcom will accomplish?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1111
Integra is Onkyo's higher end stuff. Like the Elite series of the Pioneer products I guess you could say.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-5.8&class=Receiver&p=i

Greg what is the Adcome 545? Im guessing just a straight power amp? 2 Channel? More info.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12229

I don't know about current models but the old Integra line was typically better quality with original circuits compared to the Onkyo baseline product. In most cases Pioneer and Sony simply rebadge their mass market lines to make a high end product and dress them up with features and gold plated connectors. This is not true in the products that exist only in the Elite or EX line but for most of the products, particularly the receivers, the upscale line offers little in the way of upgraded performance.

Adcom 545 is rather old now, almost twenty years and from Adcom's first generation of amplifiers. About 100 watts per channel if I remember right. It has typical Adcom bipolar output transistor sound. I've got a 535 stuck in a closet somewhere. I'm not sure this amp is an upgrade from the Integra.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if it would offer me any benifit or not. Another thought I had was with the Integra I have the ability to Bi-Amp the mains by using the two chanels that are dedicated for the multi room feature, then maybe I could incorporate the adcom to power the multi-room...any thoughts on if it's worth the effort? I would just go ahead and give it a try but my equipment is in a cabinet that is really difficult to work in. Thanks Again.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12234

Greg, it's rather impossible for us to tell you what you might like amongst all the iterations available to you. I really don't know the sound of the Onkyo to suggest what you might hear by substituting the Adcom. I'm afraid you'll have to try and give a listen.

Post Number: 4
Last night (Jan, just as you suggested) I figured there's only one way to find out. I played around with a few things but ultimately Bi-Amped the mains an used the Adcom to power the Multi-room. I'm very pleased with the result! I am by no means a hard core audiophile but bi-amping did wonders for the level of detail and seemed to "open things up" - sounds pretty darn good for an AV reciever, and the Adcom amp is just fine for powering speakers in the kitchen and porch. Thanks for your input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us