Cheap cdp

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 312
I decided to replace my noisy Cambridge Audio Azure 640C in the bedroom. We have discussed it here before. Since I will be in Seattle for a few days in Dec and can sell it back to the dealer where I got it new and not put money into repair.
I don't spend a lot of time listening on that system but when I do, it is quiet night music heard from the bed.
Because of the small % of my listening I am not upgrading, just replacing a bad cdp. Sure, I would someday like to try an Apollo but it would be too much for this application. Actually this is a surprisingly good sounding set up outside the side noise from the cdp.
HK 6950R Int amp
HK TU 9200 Tuner
Speakers Castle Severn

My ideas for a used deck are:
1- Rega Planet (average US $375 used)
2- CA Azure (maybe get lucky on the next one)
3- another brand in the same price range as Planet.
4- Oppo DV 981HD universal player new $230 US. (re- absolute sound Sep 07 rave reviews) but they are comparing it to "much more expensive" DV decks, not to cd players. ??????

What do you think? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 814
Out of the CDP's listed, the Planet would be the stand out hands down I would think. You can buy a NAD T525bee new for around the Planet price you listed. May be a thought. But the Planet im sure would be ideal for that price.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5686
I second the vote for the Planet.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2318
I don't think anything will sound as good as a Planet. But, they're at least 10 or so years old.

If you're not comfortable with something of that vintage, how about the NAD 525BEE? I saw on their website they also have a 515BEE. No idea on price or sound quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
I would say your not going to find anything NEW better than the 525bee for under 600 dollars. NEW that is. For 375 dollars I would be getting the Planet. Now, correct me if I am wrong, the Planet is what has become the Apollo. Right? I read that the Apollo is a better, but the Planet isnt far off.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5687
Not quite Nick....

The Planet and the Apollo are in the same place in the Rega line however most folks who have listened to whole Rega lineup believe that the Apollo out performs the old Jupiter wihich resided in the same place in the Rega lineup as the Saturn.

The Apollo is head and shoulders better than the Planet and somewhat better than the Jupiter however that doesn't mean the Planet is any kind of slouch because it's not. The Planet is one of very few cd players to be called a classic piece of audio gear by many folks who've been in this hobby/business for many years.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9338
A planet 2000 has the 3 ball clamp and pickup of the Apollo. THIS is the one to mate to a high tech DAC, wired to a good pc program.
Hands down.
Yummm.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2319
"I would say your not going to find anything NEW better than the 525bee for under 600 dollars. NEW that is."

Isn't the NAD 542 $600 new? Its a lot better than the 525BEE.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 314
Thanks guys. I did not realize any one had replied because I am not getting the email note anymore in spite of being selected in "your account" preferences.

I see from the ads on AgoN that the "original" planet was upgraded to the 2000 Planet. Most ads specify which it is. Therefore I see price on Planets varies from $250 to $550.

It is amazing how fast those Apollos sell! Even the Planets go fast.

I will keep watching the ads.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5690
They are great players.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 316
The last Apollo I watched on eBay went for $732 USD!

Hawthorne in Seattle has an original Planet on eBay for $336. I could call and have him hold it till I return the CA Azure. I would get more on a trade like that just selling him the Azure. I hesitate because it seems I should go for the newer model improved Planet. ?

How does the Planet compare to my newly acquired Rotel RCD1072?
I see another of those on eBay. With luck that could go cheap...
But we are talking quiet jazz style music on that system.

I am having a 24 hr delay to get email notification of a post!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 320
I asked: "...How does the Planet compare to my newly acquired Rotel RCD1072? ..."

I guess Art may have answered that already here:
"...The Planet is one of very few cd players to be called a classic piece of audio gear by many folks who've been in this hobby/business for many years..."

Silver Member

Post Number: 819
Kevin- I would say the Planet would still be top pick over the Rotel.

Stu-"Isn't the NAD 542 $600 new? Its a lot better than the 525BEE".-Not in good ol' Canada bud,lol, where prices SUCK. The 542 is around 700 here. I should have said CDN funds.

Art- Good to know about the Planet. I have read that it is highly regarded. Would the Planet be a hands down winner over the NAD 542? The Apollo was a def. winner, but it didnt like, SLAUGHTER it or anything. Just did some key things right. Although I have not heard my Apollo with another piece of Rega yet either. That will be soon enough.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 900
Kevin,

I have had to go an re-update my preferences on my profile about a half-a-dozen times in the past 2 days. I am not getting any email notifications. The only way I am staying current is by going to eCoustics and scanning through the sections I subscribe to and opening threads which have recent posts, like I just did here.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 321
I heard from Hawthorne. They say "...Very similar to the 2000, but in a different case. Not different sounding...".

Nuck: "...planet 2000 has the 3 ball clamp and pickup of the Apollo..."
That should improve the sound?

"...mate to a high tech DAC, wired to a good pc program."
Well, I don't need that feature.

Now I just have to decide if it is worth a couple hundred more for the 2000 and a remote.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5693
One thing to know about the Planet is that some folks don't like it. They complain that it lacks detail...these are usually the folks who like Arcam and NAD. They present very differently...the Planet is concerned with getting the essence of music right and the others are more concerned that you hear every note. It's really a matter of preference which is for you. The Rotel is a little more in the Planet camp but really lives in the netherworld between the two. It's more forward than any of the others and less about PRaT than the Rega and more musical to my ears than the other two.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 324
I may not be as sophisticated a listener as some. Since the Planet is so affordable now I may as well try one out. It will be on fairly low volume levels. It can hold me for a year before I go for the Apollo!
I appreciate the input. Thanks.

I am enjoying all types of music at all volume levels on the Rotel and CA that I have. My Pionier CDR isn't bad, though I don't use it much. None of them as revealing as the Naim I once had. Forgot the model.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9346
I did not find anything about the Planet that I would write home about, in all honesty.
That is where the Planet transport and DAC came in KC.
The clamp and pickup of the planet were carried over to the Apollo(I think) but the electrics were not yet up to snuff, as compared to the Apollo.
A Benchmark DAC1 is a very affordable option, IMHO, to mate with the transport of a Planet2000 or so.
Your mileage may vary.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1749
If memory serves me correctly, the Planet is a top loader as is the Apollo, but the loading mechanism differs - the Saturn had a puck that one places on the disc similar to the Naim and the Apollo has the three ball clamp where one simply pushes the disc down to lock it in place. The Saturn's sound was much more laid back imo than is the more dynamic Apollo.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 327
Thanks for the input. I tried twice yesterday to buy Planets!

1st was the Hathorne Store who I emailed to ask about it. I had emailed them months ago asking them to watch for Rega cdp for me. By the time I went back to their ebay ad it was sold as "buy it now".

2d- But, even better, there was a new ad on AgoN for a 2000Planet. I contacted asap and it was gone, the very day it appeared! Went for $400.
3d waiting. So now I have bid on another 2000 on ebay. There are 5 bidders already. I never win those. I am a novice at ebay but I was shocked that the pros come in with literally seconds to go. There was a pretty interesting documentary about ebay on cable yesterday. (maybe msnbc? running an ad every 4 minutes!). Pretty amazing history. I am not much of a fan. I prefer the old fashioned dealor. It is just that mine let me down on this one.

btw, some of the ads on AgoN and ebay are good at describing the product.

Nuck- I am thinking the cost of a 2000 planet say $400 US + DAC, may be very close to the used Apollos at $650 to $750?
Very tempting to just go Apollo in the 1st place. If it were going to be put in the other room with the Mira3 and P3 table, then no hesitation. But this buy is for that HUGE HK int amp. Must weigh 50 lb! The Cambridge is the only cdp I have ever used with that amp.

MR- I had a Naim with a puck which was the most bright clear cdp I ever heard but it was annoyingly picky and fussy. I think it was Frank who said it has been much improved.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9359
At that price, KC, you might be better off with a DAC. Think of the possibilities.
But if you are into Apollo price anyhow, maybe run that one down.

MR, I didn't find the Saturn at all mellow. In fact, I found it to be Apollo on steroids.
Funny, huh?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1751
Forgive me Nuck, I meant the Planet. Guess I was a bit spaced out. LOl!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5700
Saturn's a Planet isn't it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9362
yup. Last time I looked through the scope.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1752
Don't make me say it!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 328
Nuck- darn you are sending me back to school!
Sorry to confess, I was ignorant of this whole DAC option.
I knew what basically DAC is, but thought is was just a part built into the cdp. I did not realize the value of the outboard DAC. Thanks to google I found a ton of info! And lots of questions.
Now I have to go into the profiles and see how many are using them.
Now back to school......

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 329
From the Planet ad:
"...It uses the same circuit topology as the original Planet but with improvements in the DAC, power supply and coupling capacitors. It also has a toroidal transformer with separate windings for the display and audio stages and an extra power supply for the digital section of the DAC..."

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 906
M.R. you had me worried for a minute there.

Cute Art!

Kevin, my vote would be just save for the Apollo as if you spend $400 now for a Planet and then buy a DAC, as stated above you could have bought the Apollo.

If you buy the Planet for $400 and upgrade to the Apollo later for $650 you are out over $1000. Even if you sell the Planet it is not likely you would get what you spent and have to go through that hassle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9371
The DAC is upradeable and can be played with, including chipsets and op-amps. If KC ain't into yhis maybe an all-in-one player is the better option. If this is the case, then saving for an Apollo would be my rec.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1755
Mike, I worry myself sometimes lol!

MR- I had a Naim with a puck which was the most bright clear cdp I ever heard but it was annoyingly picky and fussy. I think it was Frank who said it has been much improved.

Kevin, I think no matter what quality brand of component there will always be a lemon here and there. Our CD5i (which was bought off Ebay) has performed flawlessly (and sonically just beautifully). I agree with the others - save for the Apollo, it won't disapoint. (Or a Naim lol!)

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 435
To let you guys know, I ordered the Apollo! Can't wait!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2731
Nuck,

You said:

"A planet 2000 has the 3 ball clamp and pickup of the Apollo."

No it doesn't. The Apollo introduced the 3-ball clamp and the mechanism, or 'pickup' is a Sanyo where the Planet's was a Sony IIRC. Certainly the mech is new in the Apollo (and Saturn).

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us