Slow down in production of SACDs and DVD-Audios?

Username: Dneigler

Verona, NJ United States

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if anyone has noticed a slow down in sacd / dvd audio production lately. I've been enjoying collecting both formats, but have been hard pressed to find any interesting releases lately.

Also, does anyone know if there are plans to release the dvd-audio / sacd versions of new recordings on the same date as the cd release? It's disheartening to buy Elvis Costello's latest and find it on sacd a month later.

Finally, any ideas on encoding sacd / dvd-audios to the computer in some kind of lossless format? I'm gradually encoding my cds to wma lossless (the computer is connected to the amp via a toslink optical cable).

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1303
David,

In the last week or two there has been some good stuff on recording DVD-A and LPCM on NAD T533 DVD/CD player user's review, and DVD-Audio.

As regards production, I recently visited two big record stores on Oxford Street in London. As far as I could see the ratio of SACD:DVD-A titles was about 2:1 or 3:1. However, both formats together were completely overwhelmed by whole aisles of "Music DVDs": meaning DVD-Video discs with music content. All genres; rock concerts to opera. Seems the market is going DVD-V.

BTW anyone from other threads; V•rgin Magastore was showing the Clapton-Robertson number from "The Last Walz" on what must have been a 40 ft screen. Extraordinary. For music alone, The HMV Shop seemed ahead of V*rgin for choice and maybe also on price. Another thing that surprised me was the HMV shop had a whole display rack of iPods. I would have thought they would regard the iPod as competition.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us