Marantz 7500 vs HK 247

Username: Preposterous

Post Number: 1
Hello fellow Audio enthusiasts

I am looking to set up a modest 2.1 system for 100% audio use in my den (approximately 12 X 12 Ft) and have bought a couple of Paradigm titan monitors and a Hsu research subwoofer (STF 2). I intend to use this setup as an auxiliary bedroom surround sound system down the road (girlfriend says, it's either her or a speaker system in the bedroom for the moment - I almost chose the speaker setup ) and need your advice on a receiver. I know I will be upgrading my receiver when I use it as part of an HT setup so I am not looking to spend more than $300-400. I have the option of a Marantz 7500 for about $335 (*used in good shape) or an HK 247 (new) for the same price. The Marantz deal goes away tomorrow and I need to pull the trigger soon. Please help!!!

Preposterous

Bronze Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 13
i had a hk3480 which i just got rid off. wasnt too hot for stereo. go through the link below
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/449968.html

Post Number: 3
Thank you for the response Francis. This was of great help. I guess the Marantz is the way to go then :-).

Bronze Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 15
well, haven't heard the marantz so wouldn't know if its the way to go. but hk isn't the way to go for stereo

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 171
vik, keep in mind that this just francis's opinion, alot of people love H/K for the money even for stereo, I know I love mine, I have never heard the marantz, but I like the H/K 247. its good for the money. so I would go and listen if I were you.

Post Number: 4
Shawnboy, thank you for the advice. I am certainly having a difficult time deciding. I listened to both and other than the fact that I am apprehensive about buying something used, the Marantz does output a more warm sound with slightly better sound imaging. My only issue is in determining if the technology in the Marantz is a little dated.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1255
Listen to it Vik, see what your ears tell u. It depends on what sort of quality your use to. Personally I still have a H/K635 here, and personally think it sounds like crap. Again, my opinion.Cheers.

Bronze Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 17
vik, seems like you're back where you started. i guess whatever your ears tell you

shawn, not trying to be funny or anything and parts in the music range of the hk sounded really good. but as nick said the music had a lot of holes inbetween where it sounded very basic. have you taken another amp and switched between the two and compared. i was running my speakers on a kenwood previously and when i switched to the hk i did like certain parts of the bass better - it was tighter. plucking on a guitar was brilliant. but overall i had a better listening experience with the kenwood esp the mids

Post Number: 5
I auditioned both receivers with the obsession that would have reminded people of Vladimir Nabokov's "Lolita." In the end, I favored the Marantz over the HK. The Marantz just produced richer more natural sounds and did a fantastic job with the sound imaging. Of course, I don't think comparing the Marantz with the HK was fair. The Marantz is a THX select certified receiver that retailed for close to $800 a couple of years ago. Thank you guys for all your help. Happy listening!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us