Best speakers for Yamaha

Sarandon
Hi!! I was wondering what would be the best speakers for Yamaha? The reason why is I think that the Yamaha is bright and I want to find some speakers that will tame the Yamaha's brightness.

G.DawG
Yamaha designs their speakers to go very well with all Yamaha. Also Paradigm or most Canadian speaker company's.

LaRon
Athena with there Tetron tweeters are pretty smooth on the highs. I love my AS-f2s. Athena is also from Canada, and to my knowledge are a little cheaper then Paradigm. I Know you hate Best Buy but you sould take a trip to your local B.B. and check them out (and as you should know they use Yamaha receivers for their speaker rooms, so it would be perfect for you). Man blame Canada for Great inexpensive speakers!!

Hawk
I think the Athenas are too bright and forward for a Yamaha receiver. Instead, I would also recommend the Paradigms as well as B+Ws. I think the B+W 600 series works very well with Yamaha receivers.

elitefan
If anything sounds decent with Yamaha[a big if] it is Paradigm. PSB also.

Hawk
elitefan:

I thought PSB, too, because it would have the right sonic charecteristics, but I think their speakers are all 4 ohm impedence, which would kill the Yamaha. Worth double checking, though.

elitefan
PSB IMAGE series [midpriced line] are 6 ohm nominal, 4 ohm minimum so Yamaha might be able to drive them ok .

Hawk
Yes, I missed that.

Sarandon
Thanks for all your input!! Now my question is what do you guys think of Polk Audio speakers or Boston Acoustics for Yamaha? And to elite fan I think that I want to go to the dark side!! Which Pioneer Elite or Marantz receiver would you go with in the $300-600 price range. Now don't get me wrong, I love Yamaha, but I want to try something different.

G.DawG
I think you will find the 43TX to be a very good receiver. EXCEPT good speakers for a Yamaha will be a horrible combonation with a Pioneer Elite. Now you probably wont listen to me anymore but hey, you are making a very smart choice!

Hawk
Sarandon:

First, you must stay away from the Polk LSi series. They are all 4 ohms impedence and running them with your Yamaha is a sure way to cause it to melt down. Don't know about their RT series, though.

Second, I have only heard the "Lynnfield" line of Boston Acoustics speakers (with the Lynnfield tweeter). They would be a very bad match for your Yamaha as they have an extended and aggressive high end, which would only exaggerate the weaknesses of the Yamaha. However, I am told the regular Boston line is pretty laid back, in which case they might work well with your receiver.

If you want to explore the "darkside", try a Marantz 6300, which cold be found for about $600 or even the 5300. Both are far smoother than the Yamaha.

Sarandon
Again thank you all for your input!!!! I think that I am going to try out the Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX and the Marantz SR-6300. Hey Hawk, if I were to get the Marantz SR-6300 and mate it with some Def Tech speakers, do you think it will sound ok?

elitefan
Sarandon,
If you can find a Elite43 for under $600 go for it. They are getting hard to find. The Elite41tx is also a nice receiver for the money and can be had at most any Elite retailer for under $500. I have a friend who got one for $449 and loves it with his Polk speakers.

G-Man
I have seen the 43TX for $488 at hookedontronics.com I don't know if there is much or any difference between this model and the new 53TX. .

Sarandon
Great!! I heard both the Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX and the Marantz SR-6300. I want the Marantz Sr-6300. where can i find it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us