Which amp for Kef 104s

Username: Cpb3001

Post Number: 1
I have recently purchased a set of Kef 104 speakers and was looking for an amp to match them. Does anyone have any experience / recommendations?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12335

There are far too many amplifiers that pair well with the 104's to name even a few. The speakers are quite easy to drive and require modest amounts of power in most cases. What amplifier do you own now? Why do you want to change?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9850
I heard 104's on a Cary 15w tube integrated amp...worked really well. scoutmaster table.

Post Number: 2
Hi Jan,

I don't currently have an amp - It has taken me about 12 months to find a mint pair of speakers. I have listened to the speakers through my friends Nad C370, which sounded fantastic, although I was hoping to spend a bit less than this.

Hi Nuck,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have emailed cary for some furthe information, but they do not appear to have a UK dealer.

Thanks

Chris

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12338

OK, how much do you want to spend and are these 104 originals or 104/2's?

http://www.kef.com/history/1970/model104.asp

http://www.kef.com/history/1980/model104_2.asp

Do you only need a power amplifier or a pre amp/power amp combination? What about an integrated amplifier? Are you going to buy a new amplifier? (If you are asking us for recommendations for a used amplifier, you are asking for several thousand amplifiers that could drive the KEF's without problems. You do realize how futile any advice for such a purchase would be, do you not?) Why have you been looking for such a long time for speakers? How did you decide this was the speaker you had to find in mint condition? Why not some other speaker? Why did you settle on speakers and then go looking for an amplifier? Thety should be purchased as a combination since that is how you will use them. What are you going to use as a source player? What's you budget for that unit?

Post Number: 3
They are 104 originals.

I wanted these as having heard a friends speakers with the same drivers I was sold on the sound and they were more affordable than Rogers and more suited to my room size than TLS.

I was only after a power amp my budget thought's for this are £200-£300, however there is some flexibility in this. Budget for a CD player is similar, current favourite is a cambridge audio 640c, I'll buy a tuner also when the DAB formats are more settled.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12339

Buy a Cambridge amplifier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us