Technics 1210 left channel not working

Username: Gwill50

Post Number: 1
I recently got a second hand technics 1210 turntable. The problem is, playing through a mixer then amp only the right channel plays out. This is difficult, well, for a lot of reasons.

I have checked the needle on another turntable, that works fine, I have tried the mixer and amp with different equipment, they both work fine also. I have concluded that the problem rests within the deck.

Would anyone have any suggestions before i take it apart and potentially loose the only channel i have left.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11209

Yes, my suggestion would be to determine whether the problem exists in the turntable, the cables or the mixer's phono input. Possibly this is what you meant by checking the "needle" and the mixer with different equipment. But it isn't clear that you did sufficient testing before you begin tearing into the table.

Post Number: 2
Yes maybe i didnt write it properly. With all the different equipment (the cables, the mixer, the amp) i tested them on my working turn table, and i got sound from both channels. When i hook the 'broken' turn table up, in exactly the same configuration, it only comes out of the right speaker.

With regards to testing the needle, i took the one off the 'broken' turnabtable, and put it on the turn table i knew worked, and once again i got stereo sound.

Is there a wire or anything, that is notorious for coming loose in technics. Or any other problem people have had, but have been able to rectifiy?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11221

There are seldom problems which are endemic to any particular table when channels drop out. A thorough cleaning of all connectors is the first place to begin. The small signal levels of a cartridge are susceptible to oxidation of any and all contacts. After that it is merely a matter of logically tracing the signal flow and trying all possible connections before replacing any cables. If you know how to solder, retouch each connection with a small, low temperature iron to eliminate the possibility of a cold solder joint. If you don't know how to solder, let a technician look at the table.

Post Number: 3
That is a very good point Jan, i am surprised my self that i did not think about things like that. I guess i automatically assumed it was a major thing. I do own a variable temp solder itron, but i think i will go for the less evasive cleaning of connectors first though. Thanks for the suggestion, i shall tell you how it goes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us