Amp for Dynaudio Focus 110? Integrated or Pre/power?

Username: Massiven

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I have a problem with finding an amp for my Focus 110 and I wonder someone can give me some advice? My listening room is (joined kitchen and living room/listening room) which measures 3.8m x 9m, although I listen in area 3.8m x 4.5m, which is half of the room. Focus is on the longer wall.

Do you think I would be able to run my focus 110 successfully with integrated or power/pre combination? Are there any other recommendations in £500-£1000 range?
How about tubes for Focus 110?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Cheers

Post Number: 3
And yes, I listen mostly to classical and jazz, vocal music too. I like lively, fast sound, not boomy bass, but warm sound with sweet highs. (if that is all possible in Hi-Fi)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13696
rob, what electrics were used when you auditioned the 110's and liked them enough to buy them?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13697
rob, what electrics were used when you auditioned the 110's and liked them enough to buy them?

Post Number: 5
Hi,
I have auditioned at the dealers on some expensive Accuphase stuff. I was not able to listen at home as I was exchanging for Dynaudio x12.
I guess the accuphase is out of reach, my budget is around £700, but the less is better :-)
I am looking for good synergy between the Focus 110 and new amp.
Thanks

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13742
Well, a boomy bass can be had from the 110's(in limited quantity) if they are placed in a corner, but this is the domain or the 140, mostly.

The 110, on solid stands, will enjoy some side reinforcement, tyvm, 2 feet or less, depending on your room.

Have you had a look at your room acoustics at all?

Post Number: 6
Well, my room is not the best in the terms of boomy bass, but I heard few good systems(combinations) in the same room without boomy bass.
Unfortunately I am not able to buy those.
I think the bigger part of the boomy bass problem lies within the components and cables.

Post Number: 7
bump

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1172
What have you been using for amplification from Oct. 2009 until now and what is it not doing/curing for you that you would like?
Have you treated the room in anyway, as Nuck suggested?
Have you had the opportunity to audition any other types of amplification in your present room?
What type of stands are you using for the speakers? What is the placement - proximity to walls, distance from you the listener etc.

Post Number: 8
I tried various amps from Sony, Primare, Cyrus, Onkyo(had controlled bass, but harsh highs), Audiolab, but not much luck with glorious sound as it was with more expensive Accuphase.
All this was in range £500-£1000.
Densen 70watts integrated was better driving focus 110, but tonally is too dark and with slow bass in my opinion.
Any other suggestions?
What about tubes e.g.Unison Research SR1?
Or Krell integrated amps KAV range?
Which one is better, Krell KAV 400xi or cheapest Acccuphase amps E-2xx range?
Thanks for input.

Post Number: 9
Yes, with onkyo integra there was no boomy bass, but highs maybe too harsh to listen. Cyrus, not boomy, but maybe too bass heavy on some Cds. Primare, Audiolab also. I think they can not drive focus properly.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15281
If you think you are bass heavy now, just try it with a heavy Krell.

Verlusten, you are fishing in a big pond.
Everybody wants your money, and you are a victim in waiting.
I am sorry, but thats the deal.
If you keep on fishing for opinions and deny yourself the chance to go and hear a setup, or better yet, order in, then this is going to be a mess.
If you think an Audiolab amp cannot control the speakers, then your speakers are out of spec.
I have never heard an Audiolab amp go loose on anything within reason.

Is it possible that you are expecting too much from the tiny 110's?
Have you considered the 140's?

Post Number: 10
Hi Nuck,
thanks for the info.
Is the 140 better than 110? I think it could have more loose bass as it is bigger speaker.
I listened only to old Audiolab 8000A with reccaped caps.
I know that krell is bass heavy but also produces good quality bass? Doesnt it?
The problem is that I do not have many options of hearing other setups.
I found it strange that Onkyo had better controlled bass than Cyrus or Audiolab.
So you wouldn't suggest Krell?
Did you listen to accuphase?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15288
I ain't gonna pick 'better' Verl, it just seems that you might be asking too much from what the little 110's can give.

My only listening to the 110's was in a very good shop, run with a Cary 40WPC tube amp.
The 140's were there as well, but I got a pretty good idea of what they do.
The 110's, in a real room yielded, I would guess, 45Hz, rolling off quickly.(and very nicely)

The speakers ran out of steam fairly quickly when the power went up.
They did not lose patience or clarity, just no headroom.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Interestingly, in my experience, they can go really loud and they do not run out of steam unless they are driven by low powered amp.
One of the smallest, but loudest (without clipping) speakers I ever heard.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15298
The 40WPC Cary is not known for being a lightweight, but maybe more ss power would be a diff'rent animal exposed.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13030
Depending on what you have to spend the Naim Nait XS may suit your needs. Perhaps a pre loved one. It can be upgraded later with an external power supply. I listened to one of these recently and was quite impressed. Also at low power but with plenty of drive is the Sonneteer Alabaster...difficult to find but one of the best 55 watt per channel amps I've used. The Sonneteer is warm sounding but with incredible inner detail...not the kind of detail that has you listening to the trumpeter licking his lips but the kind of detail that helps you to understand the dialogue that takes place between musicians in an improvised setting...the good stuff.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Hmmm.....sounds good, the problem is that I tried Naim Nait 3 old Nait amp, but was simply with too much boomy bass, midrange was fine, highs slightly harsh.
But of course, Nait XS is much better amp of higher class. I might try if I get a hold on it. I am looking rather to buy amp on the second hand market. Better sound for less money.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13031
The latest iteration of the classic Nait, the Nait 5i-2, is far smoother with better control of the bass than the Nait 3...the Nait XS is in another league altogether.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us