AM Tuner - Old vs. New

Bronze Member
Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 58
I fixed up a tube radio from Zenith. Replaced/checked all tubes. I was amazed at all the AM stations I was picking up at night. I understand that reception is better and that some stations wait to come on till night. But, I could only pick up 1 to 3 stations on my more modern receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8900
Daniel, be sure your receiver wasn't only looking for am stereo stations!

Good 'ol stuff ya fixed up there.

Bronze Member

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 59
Yeah, it has FM and FMC. The FMC works better than the FM selection. It seems to lock in on a station, once you tune near it. You could move the dial and you won't hear any static until it begins to lock into the next station.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11541

AM Stereo?

DS - Most modern tuners consider the very limited frequency range of AM broadcasts to be unworthy of serious attempts at quality reception. If they concentrate on tuner functions at all in a receiver, they will favor the FM side of the dial. I suspect the old tuner had a ferrite rod for the AM antenna. What sort of AM antenna were you using on your "modern receiver"?

Bronze Member

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 60
Not stereo. Only has one 8" 8 ohm loudspeaker. For the modern receiver, I use the standard 6" dimeter wire loop that came with it. Looks like it has only five turns at the most.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11553

The loop antenna is meant to be removed and positioned for best reception. That might slighty improve your station count. Or, you could try a very long wire whip antenna placed as high as possible. A run across the backyard is usually sufficient (make sure it's earth grounded if you try this). But, the highest probability is your receiver just doesn't do AM very well.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1424
I don't know if you've seen this http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/tubetuner/r601p.html thing, but it looks pretty neat.

Jan, why have manufacturers abandoned the ferrite rod design?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11634

People used to use them as handles and then get p!ssed when they broke their new component.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1427
I suspect you're not kidding.

I get terrible AM reception, I'm getting interference from outside my apartment and have been unable to remedy the condition. Currently I'm only using the stock plastic-rectangle loop antennas, but I've considered picking up one of these http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/index.aspx , any thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us