'Home Theater' Bypass Feature?

Silver Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 128
I'm starting to eye 2-channel music preamps as a possible upgrade path from my 2 channel integrated amp.

Currently I do not have a home theater rig (instead I have a 22 " TV & a DVD player neither of which gets used much anymore.... I play DVDs with my Apple G5 on a superb high end 22" CRT monitor which I also use to do Hi-Res color retouch work)...but...sometime down the road I anticipate I'll want to get a 5.1 system going here and also a bigger monitor. If/when I do get into home theater, it will NOT be with the intention of setting up a separate critical hi-end system but rather with the goal of incorporating as many components from my 2 channel music system as possible to serve double duty.

So what exactly is 'home theater bypass' in a 2-channel preamp and what is its benefit?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6210
Gas, my 'guess' is that the function bypasses tonal controls and the DAC's of the unit, acting as a pure gain stage.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9943

It lets you use a HT receievr with a two channel pre amp and think you're doing this whole thing right. It's another marketing ploy to sell something. Get stuff that does just what it's supposed to do and nothing more.

Silver Member

NYC

Post Number: 129
The 'bypass' feature is on a McCormack RLD-1 preamp. I was not entirely clear what application and market a preamp such as this is intended for. I was wondering if this was a recent trend on late model preamps.

Compare this to, for example, a different approach to a preamp like the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A (which is not even offered with a remote control as an option).

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9950

The Modulus is my pre amp of choice. Some people consider it too "hairshirt" to deal with. It takes some getting used to, as the dual vc's are going to fool you for a while. The sound is superb. If you want a top flight two channel system, you could easily do much worse for sound quality. AI also has an excellent reputation for customer service.

People want to have a HT system and a two channel system in one location. "HT bypass" lets you run a DVD player into the two channel pre amp for music and then "bypass" its operation and direct the signal to the HT receiver when you want you use the DVD player for HT. If the switch is done correctly, you aren't gping to loose anything in the two channel set up with its operation. But, the idea of using one pre amp for music and another in the receiver for HT is, IMO, ridiculous. Even if you have to put the two channel system in a less desirable location, you'll be better off separating the two systems and having each do what it does best.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 292
I guess I don't get it. I have a fabulous two channel system which due to WAF has been sent to co-habitat with my HT system in my media room. Since they have to play nicely together as neither one of them is moving out anytime soon I elected to run my Cable box analog outputs and my DVD analog outputs into my Aux and Tape inputs of my pre-amp. Their respective digital outputs feed into my Denon HT receiver. I do the same thing with my CD player as well. Depending on the media, I have options either way. Two separate systems sharing devices. Seems simple enough to me.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9952

But, MW, "HT Bypass" makes it sound like the manufacturer has given you something special instead of saying you have a tape loop just like everyone else. You know what they say about things we all have in common. Obviously, your system lacks a "HT Bypass" and therefore is obsolete and not all that "special" in a marketing person's view. That should make you want to rush out an buy two completely new systems rather than listening to something that is obsolete. How horrible can that be?!

Silver Member

NYC, Brooklyn

Post Number: 131
Based on material I've been reading, the Audible Illusions Modulos 3A is an item high on my wish list to audition. A hairshirt I could wear, however not having a headphone jack is not an option for me (and a workaround would likely be outside my current budget). I have specific system upgrade questions of which the preamp is a part of, but I'll save that for a later date when I have time to clearly lay out my plans and budget.

Jan can you elaborate briefly on what you are referring to with 'tape loop'?
My reference book 'Good Sound' tells me only that the tape deck is a line level component going directly into the line stage of the preamp, which contains all the controls. Corresponding preamp jacks are TAPE IN (or LINE IN) and TAPE OUT (or LINE OUT).
Is what we are referring to as the 'bypass' feature simply connecting (for example) a DVD player to the TAPE IN jack on an 'obsolete preamp' and then running an interconnect between the TAPE OUT of the 'obsolete preamp' and an input on the HT Receiver?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9954

Tape in, tape out = tape loop which is unaffected by the volume control, i.e. fixed level output. Line in, line out does not = loop, it passes through more circuitry and the tape loop overrides the line in/line out loop. Line out is always affected by the volume control.

Tape loop is the same as a HT bypass in most ways.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6233
I wanna see what Gas has in mind before exploring any single piece controversy.

Gas, you gotta plan ahead.
1: Yer syuff doesn't suck!
2: you must have a plan by now, and one piece will let you down, or make you spend beyond your present allowance.

Shop the dealers and find a complete setup that you like, and start snooping prices.
Consider your table a bargaining tool.
Get whole system synergy, wherever you live for the next 100 years.
Shop and listen really really hard!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us