Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 687
Sorry guys.We can't help it.Upload

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3621
I think I here your Mommies calling.....

Bronze Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Bronx, NY USA

Post Number: 28
Bully is a fun game

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 635
...and they're off..

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 28
Larry,

I thought you might be interested in watching this rare video clip of Paul Desmond playing "Emily" (one of my favorite Mandel ballads) on YouTube.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMA_c5GpEr4

Also, check out this performance by Stan Getz of "Seven Steps to Heaven" (originally recorded by Miles Davis). The performance had me riveted to my seat (and to my PC). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx6b9ICiOvM&search=Jazz%20Modern%20Stan%20Getz%20 Cool%21

There's a lot more (Chick Corea, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Diane Schuur, etc.) Just type your favorite jazz artist's name and chances are, there's a video clip available. The video quality is not always good but it's the the performance that really matters.

Regards,

Don (RX-1)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I forgot to add that sometimes you will get this annoying flashing ad that you're the 1000000th visitor.

As soon as the first set of video clip thumbnails have loaded, click on Stop on your browser and the ad will stop flashing. Very annoying, really.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4523
A short local review...

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/J/John_Elton/ConcertReviews/2006/11/07/2264580 .html

Where's Larry?
Or anyone?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 916
A message from 'anyone' - Nuck, there just hasn't been much to post about. Maybe soon though :-)

Then maybe not :-(

Has the world had too much from that old queen of rock? Who knows, though I think I have.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4571
I meant to post to Larry about the demise of Anna Russell. A far cry from EJ.

I just read you NAD M55 thread, MR. Very nice.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 922
Thanx John.

Attention all dogs - for a little frivolity, check out the very last webpage:

http://home.att.net/~cecw/lastpage.htm

:-)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1509
I haven't been here in a while, and it seems like the conversation has stagnated a little bit, so I offer the a link to a great conversation. It's an interview with Julian Vereker, Naim's founder. It discusses how and why CD players aren't just 1's and 0's, and host of other issues like tweaks, enjoying the listening experience, and so on. A great article, but a little lengthy.

http://members.shaw.ca/mikesae/jvinterview.htm

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 924
Interesting interview. Thanx for the link Stu.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4527
Thanks, Stu. The RF angle is a poser.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 929
After discounting the NAD M55 (darn I loved the look of this player) and deeming the new Denon 3930 overkill for our needs - and bank balance - I brought home a Denon DVD 3910 to try before buy this weekend and I must say I am quite taken with it so far. In fact, a little gobsmacked that it is definetely such a step up from our 2900. With the new '3930' about to hit the stores here, I thought a 'good deal' on this model would be a cinch. Well I was wrong - they are like the Tasmanian Devil, extinct. But, there was a demo still lurking at my dealers store so I badgered him for a good deal providing I could audition the player first.

Loyalty has it rewards I guess. My dealer offered a 'reasonable' trade price for my 2900, but the cash deal we settled on was very attractive and if I can get a few more dollars for our 2900 on Ebay, we will do really well on the upgrade. The only little problem is the unit is silver, but we don't listen to color - or at least we shouldn't.

CD playback is pretty darn good, perhaps a tad better than the 2900 and it does HDCD, but still not up to par with our NAD C542 on that format or normal redbook. SACD and DVD-Audio sounds - well - more open, with a wider, deeper soundstage and a certain sweet rhythmic feel that obviously was missing, or was there to a lesser extent, from the 2900. Mrs R agreed with this assessment also. The bass crossover variables, SACD frequency switch, bass level refinements, extra DAC's, connection and video output upgrades, and sound quality, make this player seem likely it will become a new member of the family.

The DVD-2900 has been heavilly used for almost three years and never missed a beat. I hope, if the 3910 is a keeper, it will be just as reliable.

I think hi-res surround will be having a big resurgence in the Rantz household. (Also posted on NAD M55 Audition).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3658
Building quite a system there MR. My 2910 has been working flawlessly for over a year. I think the Denons are pretty sturdy players. Congrats if you keep it and also congrats if you don't as that means you are pleased with your current state of affairs. Happy listening!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9340

I was looking through a client's CD collection today and found this; "The music on this Compact Digital Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape." This was on a disc pressed in 1988.

I haven't paid any attention lately, but I don't think they put this disclaimer on CD's any longer. Does anyone know when they stopped implying there were limitations to the analog master tape that the superior resolution of CD could reveal? Was it when they brought out SACD and DVD-A as higher resolution products that supposedly sounded more like analog recordings?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4587
Rantz, thank-you for the fine post.
I am a little bit releived that the Denon could not better your Nad 542, my faith in dedicated cdp's would not be the same!
The evolution in uni's is a gratifying knowledge, however, and you dedication to a very good brand seems quite apt.
I need to hear your impressions with multi-channel, hopefully to follow.
Well done, chap.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4575
Yes, congratulations, My Rantz! And thanks for sharing what you discovered.

Jan;- I remember such things on CDs and probably have some. BIS used to put "Warning; may damage your loudspeakers" on its first CDs.

I've bought a couple of CD boxed sets recently, spanning the switch to digital. These are on EMI and Caliope (a French label), two entirely different companies. In both cases I find I can tell the difference between ADD and DDD, and greatly prefer the sound on ADD, or even AAD. The early DDD recordings sound brittle and harsh in comparison.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3663
I have posted a link to some pics of my system that I just finished on Audiogon. The link can be found on the CD player forum under "Anyone hear the new rega apollo yet???".

MR how's the Denon goin'?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 930
Art, the 3910 is a keeper. I have evaluated enough to make that decision and also my dealer offered me even a better deal. I am going to listen a lot more before posting my comments here, but needless to say, there is a definite improvement across the board, including video even with our std def LG plasma with hdmi, though the biggest improvement I have noticed so far is MC SACD. I haven't listen to much stereo SACD as yet. As it's a demo, the unknown factor is how much use it's had. But I have the full warranty to ease my mind (and Mrs R's) I guess.

Saw your pics on the other thread Art, great set-up you have there. when I heard the Apollo/Rega/tube combo the dealer had the speakers forward of the component rack with the woofers facing toward each other. I don't know if you have experimented with your gear as such, but I was impressed with what I heard.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 931
Nuck, you will only be able to read my impressions.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3667
The woofers facing inward would mean the left one would be directly facing the turntable so I'm kind of stuck with it this way for now. Sounds great as is and the dealer recommended facing the woofers outward. Looking forward to reading your impressions of the 3910.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 937
Okay dawgs, we've given the 3910 a decent run now and I have to say we are impressed. I'd believe sonically, with DVD-A and SACD it is a tad better than the 2900, though the differences are subtle to a bit more than subtle.

With SACD multi-channel pure DSD, the Denon allowed bass management (crossover at 80hz) but not speaker distance settings, the 3910 has various crossover levels 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120hz, but not for pure DSD. For pure DSD playback, one must select Source Direct and this cancels crossover selections and sets the speakers to large while giving DTS a 5hz bass boost and another 10hz for SACD. Output bandwith can be selected to either 100khz or 50 Khz depending on associated equipment suitabilty. Speaker distance settings and levels remain valid for DSD. However if using the crossover variables, DSD gets down converted to PCM - and while the purists may scoff, to me it doesn't sound all that bad as I believe the differences in good SACD and DVD-A are very little on the finer recordings. So we can have it both ways and both have benefits. On both formats, playing multi-channel, the soundstage seems a little different to the 2900. The vocals seem to come from level with or a little behind the front array whereas with the 2900 the could seem a little forward.

CD playback with both the 2900 and the 3910 is about on par (though admittedly I haven't played many selections) with the latter winning with HDCD decoding. Still, neither seem to have the timing or musicality of the NAD C542 in either redbook or HDCD. But, they do sound very nice regardless of that fact and as for universal players, cd playback is a strong point on these machines.

Video is excellent and upcoverting with a DVDi/HDMI cable seems better on our standard def plasma than using the component outputs. I haven't played with video settings as yet apart from using the Black setting for HDMI, but the default seems pretty darn good.

If this machine can last the distance I'll be a happy chap (so will Mrs R), but for those who want improvement in sound and video upconversion (to 1080p), the new 3930 will be a hard act to beat even at the extra cost here (another $500au). I notice in the US it's the same as the 3910 and that would make it an absolute steal.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1563
All Dawgs: Sorry, I haven't been around for a long time, I know. Not much new in our lives, and what there is doesn't really involve stereo.
Don: Thanks SO much for the Desmond link! I am, indeed a true fan - always have been. That video means a lot to me, sir! In your debt.
I know little of YouTube, but now will surely try to find out more. Old dog, new technology. . .sigh.
Rantz: You sound like a proud pappa! I'm glad for you, and hope your new rig brings you and Ms. Rantz many hours of fine listening/viewing!
Mer and I are upgrading the house, but are just about to give up trying to put it on the market after the Holidays.
Seems like every other house on the block is for sale, and the prices here in Swampville keep on dropping. Not good for us.
Soooooo - we're doing such "exciting" thangs as putting a new wood laminate floor in Mer's "old" studio, as she takes up residence in half of the garage. No, I'm not punishing her, she insisted on the move, and insists further that she really likes it out there where she can "mess up" at will. Sigh.
New toilets, new kitchen sink, new faucets, a central water filter. . .are youze guyz still awake? (grin)
Few new CDs and fewer DVDs lately, I'm afraid.
Will post more whenever anything good - or bad - occurs.
Sending you all our bestest Holiday Good Wishes!
Respectfully,
Mer & Lar in Swampville.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4583
Good to hear from you, Larry. "Holiday" what's this - must be Thanksgiving. Anyway, same to you and Mer.

PS I thought of your posts when I read the obits of Anna Russell. What a lady.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 940
Hey there Larry! Thanks, we do expect many hours of fine listening with this new rig (as well as with the NAD cdp). The more we play the more it seems ahead, especially with SACD, than its predessor and the video is excellent. For the largely reduced price, it was a real bargain - we hope! Well, if you don't sell your house then it seems you may almost have a new one anyway. With Mer in the garage - where do you keep the shiny new Honda? Say hi to her from us and well be in contact soon. M.R.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4584
And thanks for the report on the Denon 3910, M.R. Congratulations !

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 941
Thanks John. As good as the sound and video is with this model, it does not have the sexy, smooth lines of the 2900 and it also has this big ugly red/green standby/on light around the circumference of the switch as well as the fact that it is also the lone silver component in a rack of black. The things we do in the name of sound.

Watched 'Beyond the Sea' last night with Kevin Spacey portraying Bobby Darin. The only good thing about the movie was Spacey's singing. I mention the movie because I suspect it was one of a pair of EL57's or 63's that gracing Darin's living room in the flick. Mrs R said, 'What's that ugly thing in the corner?'

I am only kidding my friend.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1564
John A. - we tend to forget that most of the world does not follow us Amerukans and slaughter turkeys in November! I know, we slaughter other life forms as well, but that's another thread.
So - have a Happy Weekend, OK? (grin)

M.R. - how about some nice, flat black spray paint? You could easily muck up the whole kit, and the room along with it! Been there. . .(double grin)

Mer has the left (or is it the right?) half of the garage, the Honda has the other half. They get along splendidly. . .

It's not uncomfortable for her, because we have a separate room heater, and an air conditioner, out there. Also put in a ceiling fan. So fah, so gud. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
"...we have a separate room heater..."

You don't really need that room heater in Swampsville, eh, do you, Larry? Ship it to me; we could always use an extra one! And if you have winter tires that you don't need, ship those, too!

Re: YouTube, keep watching until the Copyright Police puts a lid on it. BTW, I saw a clip of "State of Mind" by Raul Midon, the sensational, phenomenal singer-songwriter-guitarist. A one-man band, this guy is. Did the guy swallow a trumpet or is that simply, pure talent!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynk6W3qM9-w

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 942
For anyone interested,

CD playback with both the 2900 and the 3910 is about on par (though admittedly I haven't played many selections) with the latter winning with HDCD decoding. Still, neither seem to have the timing or musicality of the NAD C542 in either redbook or HDCD.

After spending copious amounts of time comparing the NAD C542 and the Denon 3910 on CD playback with various types of music, I'll now have to eat my words. With all things being equal (interconnects etc) I have to say I can't prefer one over the other. While some time ago I may not have thought so, but interconnects can make a lot of difference.

I recommend the DVD 3910 as a great all rounder. Especially for the price I paid.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4672
Rantz, are you calling the 542 and 3910 a draw with reasonable cables for redbook?
I wish I could toss my Rotel 1072 into that furr-ball.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 945
Yes Nuck, though I hope to do some more comparative listening today to see if my wife agrees (or not). Maybe I'm a victim of the psychic audio babble phenomenon and need to get my head examined (or ears).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4673
I doubt that Rantz.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 950
Mrs R agrees with my comparison between the 3910 and the 542. I played a track on the 3910 then on the 542 and like me, my wife preferred the NAD. Then I swapped the Monster interconnects on the 3910 for the Merlin's and she agreed there was nothing between.

I saw a week or so ago the new Beatles "LOVE" CD which was produced by George Martin and son Giles with additional string arrangements, tweaking and dubbing and mixed in 5.1 surround for the Cirque du Soleil show. I almost bought it until I thought surely an SACD or DVD-A in a 5.1 mix would have to be on the cards. So I decided against the purchase and low and behold, today there was a CD+DVD-A version in the racks so I quickly snapped it up and so should all of you (it has DD and DTS 5.1 versions also). This is just over 80 mins of sheer delight. The remix, added arrangements etc are great and the sound quality is just excellent. A collectable if ever there was one.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 639
MR, thanks for the tip. I've been reading a bit about "LOVE" but had my doubts about how it would sound, and how it would be received by Beatles' "purists." It does sound intriguing however.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4591
"LOVE" has been in the news here. I didn't know about the DVD-A. Thanks, MR!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 951
It was a subject on a morning talk show here and not a word mentioned about the hi-res mix. Even the sticker on the 2pack discs said CD/DVD and unless they look at the small 'music only' print, many will be disappointed they won't be seeing a video of the show. Although many of the old numbers are short (as they did them way back) this disc is really worthwhile in my opinion. The strings sound wonderful as does the original material.

Silver Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 363
Hello Old Dawgs!

Good to see the old thread is still alive and kicking.

MR, it's nice to see you are still enjoying your NAD equipment. Still using the B&W speakers? What are the "Merlin's" - presumably a fancy interconnect? Weren't you using Kimber Kable at one point?

Art, saw your Rega system on Audiogon. Very nice. But, I'm surprised you replaced the PrimaLuna - I thought you were in love with it? Does 2C still have his PL?

Asimo, it sounds like you are happy with your NAD/Sonus Faber combo. The Sonus Faber speakers are so attractive and I've read they sound great too but I haven't been able to hear them. Are you still hosting your opera parties?

JohnA, have you seen the book "Quad, The Closest Approach" by Ken Kessler? What is in your system now? The last new piece I recall you getting was the Rega Apollo.

My system has changed a little since my last post. I've added a Squeezebox and have all my CD's ripped in Apple lossless format. The Mac Mini (in my office) is feeding songs to the Squeezebox (in the living room connected to the McIntosh MA6200) wirelessly. In the living room, I use a MacBook laptop to connect to the Mac Mini via web browser to control the song selection. Some folks use PDA's to do the same thing but the laptop method is pretty convenient for me and saves the expensive of picking up a PDA.

The Squeezebox can also be played without the computer if listening to internet radio is all that is needed. The quality of the radio streaming varies wildly but I have found an excellent Jazz station ( http://tsfjazz.com )that streams at a decent rate and the sound quality is probably close to a strong FM signal. The station has such an excellent format, I find myself listening to it almost more than my own collection.

The Squeezebox sound quality (using Burr-Brown DAC) is excellent (as long as you are using lossless files) and is comparable to if not better than the redbook playback on the Denon 2900. I haven't compared it against the NAD c541 redbook. Still, it is my understanding the Squeezebox can be modified to upgrade caps and opamps to sound even better. I may do that in the future although the only immediate change I'm making to it is an upgraded power supply.

The Mac amp is still running the show. However, I've been using the Monitor Audio speakers instead of the MMG's due to speaker location. But, last week, I decided to move the speakers back to their original location so the MMG's are out, again. Today, we are having a shootout between the MA's and the MMG's.

The MA's are 8-ohm so, they are easier for the amp to drive than the MMG's. They clearly have more low end extension than the MMG's and handle the lower range better and they have a punchier bass and are more dynamic sounding. However, they also are a little too bright. I hadn't really noticed this the past few months of listening to them but it is emphasized when played next to the MMG's. The MMG's seem to have a more pleasing (to my ear anyway) and natural sounding piano, acoustic guitar and horns. Right now, I'm leaning towards the MMG's.

Despite the outcome of the speaker shootout, I do believe I will be trying out a new speaker in the near future. Right now, I'm coveting the Devore Fidelity Gibbon 3 - but, will have to find a used pair as I don't think I can bring myself to pay the new price.

The bedroom system is the NAD c350/c541 combo plus a McIntosh MR77 tuner and a pair of Paradigm outdoor speakers that I bought for my screen porch but never installed. I rarely listen to this system. I should probably sell it but, for some reason, keep hanging on to it. I do plan to give the Paradigms to my parents to replace their crappy Bose speakers.

In the spirit of the original intent of this thread, I still prefer two channel playback.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 952
I still prefer two channel playback Bah phooey! You still trying to get me going SM!

How nice it is to hear from you. I'm pleased you are getting the most out of you system(s). All that stuff is getting beyond this old dinosaur I'm afraid. Unfortunately I see this trend expanding and feel the demise of good hi-fi gear is on the horizon. I hope I'm wrong. I heard you had a visit from our friends Mer and Larry - a great couple! You take care now, y'hear?

BTW - Stereo, multi-channel. it's all good!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4686
More Yoko OhNo!.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-11-27-lifeline_x.htm

A day of forgiveness for soldiers fighting for hard held beliefs, but not forgiveness for mental illness.

Yoko, how about a hot soothing bowl of 'shut the**** up'?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
All that stuff is getting beyond this old dinosaur I'm afraid. Unfortunately I see this trend expanding and feel the demise of good hi-fi gear is on the horizon. I hope I'm wrong.

Ok, you're wrong. lol! Think about it. Albums, turntables, and tube gear have not only survived the digital and solid state age but they are resurgent and are being embraced not only by old geezers like us (er, not you and me specifically as I recall we both rejected the LP awhile back) but by the younger generation, as well.

In fact, embracing the new format and the new fangled gear is what is needed to keep the good hi-fi gear around in the long run. The key is to get the kiddies to realize what they are missing in a 128kbps MP3 file - and,if CD's go the way of the Dodo, ensure they are replaced with high resolution music files. Otherwise, I'll have to listen to the same 625 albums the rest of my life. lol.

The Squeezebox is an example that good hifi gear doesn't have to disappear. This device was one of the first to interface computers with a stereo system and, as the company evolved, the focus on improving the sound quality evolved as well into the $2000 "Transporter" music server (http://www.slimdevices.com). Heck, even McIntosh makes a music server. Even though this is a new "transport", you still need a good amp and speakers to make it work. The only gear that might experience a demise are CD players. LP's will survive this, too.

At any rate, I'm really digging it (the Squeezebox). It sounds great and the convenience is incredible. I've bought some binders to store all my CD/covers and will throw away all the jewel boxes. The other cool thing about it is there is a 'screensaver' that displays on the Squeezebox while the music is playing - the screensaver is an old retro stereo VU meter (and it actually responds to the output of the song as it plays) and it looks really cool next to Mr. Mac's lights. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3691
"Art, saw your Rega system on Audiogon. Very nice. But, I'm surprised you replaced the PrimaLuna - I thought you were in love with it? Does 2C still have his PL?"

Thank you for the comment on the Rega system. The PL2 was very good with the Paradigm speakers which were not as revealing as the ProAc's. That system never came together consistently. I love tubes and may have them again someday. Big fan of EL34's and EL84's.

Good to hear from you and hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1565
Scheesh - SM has her all-playing Squeezebox; MR has his new Denon; Art is reveling in new and exciting kit - and all I have to show-and-tell is that I'm now set up in Mer's "old" studio, and the room looks pretty good, if I do say so. Same-oh speakers with the computer - but thanks to you Dawgs I'm happily listening to both Paris and Toronto jazz stations during my late-night computer sessions.
Don: believe it or not, sir, we DO need heaters down heah in Swampville. Before Thanksgiving it got down to 42 degrees F - and we have many nights in the low 30s during January and February. No snow tires, though!! (big grin)

Good to see SimplyMcintosh back on the forum - even though she's apparently not in hock for new gear - at the moment! (snicker) I'm sure that will soon change. . .

Will be watching your listening-life stories!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
Thanks, Larry, Art, and MR. It is nice to be back.

No, Lar, I'm not in hock for new gear. The Squeezebox wasn't a big expenditure and, as I mentioned in email, I've behaved well (at least financially) this year, taking care of debt and paying cash for house remodeling projects. But, I'm getting a nice check from the insurance company this week and it may be time to play. I don't want to spend the whole amount on a pair of speakers but I don't mind spending half of it - if I can find a used pair of Devores.

MR, I googled Merlin and confirmed they are cables. Are you using both interconnects and speaker cable from them? Which models? How have they affected your system? I'm currently using a Kimber Kable interconnect with the Squeezebox and a Dayton Audio (Monster - comparable) to the Denon and the HD14 (Home Depot 14ga electrical wire) as speaker wires but I'm thinking of trying out the Anti-Cable and Anti-IC from Paul Speltz.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 954
SM, the Chopin connects the pre to the power amp and the Verdi, the CDP to the pre. After the Monster ic's, soundstaging is deeper and wider, imaging is more focused, seems to be more space around the instruments and vocals, highs are cleaner/crisper and the bass is more real or controlled. They seem to do this without adding colour to the sound. As for the speaker cable, we use an Aussie brand, Kordz spectrum 2,4 MK2. Bi-wire each 14 guage. See pic.

http://www.merlincables.com/interSt.htm

Upload

http://www.htcustomcables.com/speaker_spectrum_2-4.htm

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4592
Hello and welcome, SimplyMacintosh!

Yes, I have "Quad: the closest approach". Very nice. It is preaching to the converted, in my case at least. Yes, the Apollo was my last purchase.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1566
As the only Dawg who has actually heard and seen SimplyMcIntosh's stereo gear, I can attest to the fact that it's both fine-sounding and pretty neat-oh all round. I'm still researching this "put all your discs on a drive" idea, but I guess that, if there is, indeed, lossless transfer, it's a good idea. Sure would make selecting and playing CDs a lot easier!

And SM - I was really kidding about the "going into hock" comments. Meant nothing mean-spirited.

Now I'm in the "new" den - with my old and friendly Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers. I like them: Mer hates the sound. Hmm. . .bottom line here is that - anybody out there have a great suggestion for a modestly-priced, good-sounding computer speaker kit? I've got the requisite two tiny tweets and a sub on the floor. I don't want to - and can't - spend large cash here. . .Ideas, please.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 4693
T-amp and a pair of 92db speakers of your choice, Larry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4695
R.I.P. Robert Ferguson.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/11/28/2531791-ap.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
As the only Dawg who has actually heard and seen SimplyMcIntosh's stereo gear, I can attest to the fact that it's both fine-sounding and pretty neat-oh all round.

Lol! Larry is just being polite! Actually, when he was here, my living room was in a state of flux as I had only partial furniture due to the store where I spent a few bucks to order stuff going bankrupt - before I received all my order. At the time, I had my HT equipment on the floor, the Maggies were in storage and the Monitor Audio speakers were on the floor using a couple of classical music 101 books as stands. I made him promise he wouldn't tell the Dawgs about the pitiful situation. The system was playing but we didn't do a full fledge sit down and listen session. Lar, get that damn house sold and move up here so you can do a real listening session!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1567
SM - (blush)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9390

Tower Records in going out of business as a brick and mortar shop here in Dallas. (We lost VirginRecords earlier this year with even better deals on close outs.) Apparently Tower's on line store will continue for at least some indefinite amount of time. But the store has 50% off all CD's so I spent a few bucks yesterday and picked up another effort at repackaging material I already own in several formats. This one is the Deluxe edition of "Eric Clapton", his first solo LP from 1970. Lo and behold, I don't own this material already. At least not all of it. There are some bonus tracks that haven't all been included on other EC compilations but the bonus here is the second CD.

The liner notes informed me there are three mixes of the original master tapes that exist. One mix is the Delaney Bramlett version who had produced the original album. Clapton had his hand at what is described as a pretty horrible version. A mix up in communication led to the tapes being sent to Tom Dowd who had worked with Clapton on several Cream releases.

Dowd's mix was the official release and the others were set aside. Dowd's version is the first disc in this Deluxe Edition release and Bramletts' version has been included as the second disc along with several bonus tracks on each disc. The discs do not contain exactly the same material and the songs have been resequenced by the two engineers. The released version of "Let it Rain", which ends the Dowd mix, is heard as the original title "She Rides" on the second disc. "After Midnight" is a very different song with Bramlett at the controls and the second disc is a generally more "funky" version of the album most EC fans own.

If you're casting about for another way to let someone else have some of your money, you could do worse than ordering this set. It is, at the very least, an education in the ability of a producer and engineer to control the sound and even the basic context of an artist's work. The liner notes include a catalog of several other artists who've been treated to this same manner of double disc release for those just waiting to hear the "much sought after" mono version of "Velvet Underground & Nico" or the alternate mix of Rick James' "Street Songs". (Put them on your Xmas list, Larry, and start dropping hints early.) If you don't mind a few more cookies and spyware on your computer, here's a sight that can lead you to a place to sample a few of the takes off the EC albums.

You could also wait for the Deluxe Special Edition version which will include the Clapton mix or the SACD version which will be superceded by the BluRay disc (I think we've already thrown DualDisc into the trashbin of history, haven't we?). Or the DVD version in however many channels with commentary tracks by everyone involved in the album, except, of course, Jim Gordon. But, if you just can't wait for those, this is a disc I would recommend to any EC fan.

BTW, while browsing the classical discs downstairs at Tower, I came across a bin title I'd never noticed before; "Compilations of Dubious Merit".

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9391

OK, so I forgot to add the link to the album, is that the worst thing that's happend to you lately?

http://www.umeportal.com/product.aspx?ob=disc&src=art&pid=13681

Gold Member

Post Number: 4732
Would 'compilations of dubious merit' include Two cents rappin, SM in monologue or William Shatner?
All of the bins I find have that Bill Shatner.
And Rick James(RIP).

Never knew that you were that funky. Or frisky.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4733
Nor did I expect my laptop to deceive me by quelling my mirth. Damn thing.
Thanks for the EC, Jan, a celebration of the birth of Christ, our lord is upcoming, how better to celebrate than some blues and jive.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 217
Nuck,

I would think Pat Boone's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" would have been the Genesis of the section "Compilations of Dubious Distinction".

Bronze Member
Username: Arande2

Post Number: 25
I remember when Maynard Ferguson did a concert at my school just a month before he died, weird.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9414

Weird? That he died or that he played?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4757
Andre, please don't come and see me anytime soon.
Nothing personal.

Like 'Murder she wrote', just show up and...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4832
http://www.stereophile.com/news/121206sweat/

I bought fron the good guys...I think...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4833
I learned to type FROM them too, D'oh!

Bronze Member
Username: Arande2

Post Number: 46
It's weird because he seemed all healthy then BAM he's gone soon after the concert!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4841
And yet here you are. Am I doomed?
Nuck.Tomb.Net

Bronze Member
Username: Eleven

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 38
Ummmm... what the frig is UP with this thread? What is it for? Why does it still exist?
Can it be killed?

I'm sure these questions have been asked before, but I just don't have enough remaining lifespan to investigate through years of posts. Years!

Amazing.

I guess it exists as a communal space, a place to post anything, where the Gold Members can gather and trade comments, friendly banter, insults, flame wars...

*shrug*

And I guess now I'm guilty of helping to artifcially prolong its life. Keep the ventilator on a little longer...

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 779
GC,

You can wonder why all your life or you can join in, even if not all of it makes sense.

Silver Member

Post Number: 780
This thread does look a little threadbare. What's up, Dogs? Do Old Dogs hibernate?

Ol' Two Cents is now pretty much all Two Channel. I've concluded that multi-channel music is a novelty, a gimmick if you will. I haven't bought a surround sound music disc in over a year and not really missing it. A friend trying to convince me that the Beatles' Love DVD-A is worth getting for the great surround mix informed me that the music is intended to be background music for a new Cirque du Soleil show. Apparently the show will be performed in a Vegas theater that is specially designed with surround speakers for each seat in the theater. I think this proves my point. Multi-channel music=Novelty=Gimmick.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 964
Two Cents - good to see you back. But dem's fighting words mister! How disappointed I am in you. The Beatles Love DVD-A is excellent ands sounds so much better in hi res surround - and even though I too listen to a lot of stereo these days - the best of hi-res surround can't be beat - so there!

GC

If yer ain't an old dog, you'll never understand. And please don't turn of the ventillator - give some of us a few last breaths before we go. Except for Two Cents - you can pull his.

Silver Member

Post Number: 781
"Would 'compilations of dubious merit' include Two cents rappin, SM in monologue or William Shatner?"

Nuck,

I just read your post above. I always figured Jan to be the monologuist, SM to be the crooner, Rantz to be the wailer (with a quiet, lyrical side of course); I picture Larry recording a collection of sea shanties, with a guest appearance from John A. singing a wholly inappropriate Vaughn Williams or Britten number for the album; Don to record a tasteful collection of jazz. I personally would buy the entire collection. Hmmm... could be the next Time-Life project... operators are waiting... here's how you can order your very own Old Dog collection...

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
M.R.

I almost ended the previous post with "Waiting for the rebuttal from M.R." You never disappoint, buddy! And I ain't gonna fight you, 'cause all you need is love (in stereo, but not necessarily multi-channel) :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 783
May I suggest this opening monologue for Jan Vigne's collection of audio ruminations:

Two channels, or not two channels--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The clicks and pops of outrageous vinyl
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by going digital, end them. To buy CDs--
No more--and by CDs to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That records are heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To buy CDs--
To hope--perchance to hear: ay, there's the rub,
For in that shiny disc what distortions come
When we have shuffled off analog sound,
Must give us pause...

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 965
I don't like to disappoint, old pal. But seriously, the Love remixes have so much more depth and dynamics on the DVD-A version than the excellent CD disc. But you can get both in one package when purchasing this release.

Another recommendation of mine is Rhythms Del Mundo. See http://www.rhythmsdelmundo.com

Cuban jazz blended with rock and it works very well on this very good quality recoding. Lay back and listen or get up and rhumba baby!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1224
multi-channel music is a novelty, a gimmick

Exactly what my father said about stereo in 1958.
Now there was a real old dog, rest his soul.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9438

I'm not so sure your father wasn't right, JS. Not many folks would be so concerned with "soundstage" and "imaging" and "depth" if all they had was mono. Which would ease sooooo many anxieties among audiophiles. Stereo was just another gimmick to get people to buy more stuff!

TC- Good stuff. I shall ponder your prose for the moment.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9447

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6605894

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9448

For fans of the long gone Million Dollar Quartet.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6504423

http://www.timelife.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=9645

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 641
I ordered 2-disc set "Love" - just because.

Silver Member

Post Number: 784
Can you play the "Love" DVD-A in stereo mode? I do think SACD and DVD-A sound better than CD. It's the multi-channel thing that seems superfluous.

Since I got a kick out of Jan's link, I had to read more about sea shanties. It's going to be the next big musical trend. I can see an alt shanty genre on the horizon... You read it here first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_shanty

Silver Member

Post Number: 785
John S.,

If your father said that about stereo in 1958, I would say it was an astute assessment based on the evidence at that time. Most early stereo recordings sound really unnatural, with a hard left-right channel separation and gaps in the soundstage. I would've dismissed it too. Well, actually, I still do, to a point. Early Blue Notes, Prestige, mid-period Beatles, etc. sound better in mono.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4595
2c,

The "Love" DVD I saw also has PCM stereo.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 966
While the Love release sounds fantastic in stereo, and while the extra resolution of DVD-A improves upon that, it is the MULTICHANNEL remix that really impacts on this album. It adds space and dynamics (that word again) that seems to be missing on the stereo version. Maybe it's a Beatles thing, maybe it has to do about their motivation for some of their songs. Two Cents says the surround is just a novelty (and a few others believe the same) but the proof is in the pudding on this one. And if you don't eat your pudding . . .

While I enjoy stereo music very much (especially since we upgraded that part of our gear) and that I am not on a surround only high horse, I'm glad that nature gives us surround sound and not just stereo. Then, maybe nature is just a novelty too.

There is much in this world that began life as a 'novelty' that has lasted the test of time and popularity. It's a darn shame that there has been such a shamozzle in high res marketing that it has created such indifference in the formats. But I suspect there are other factors involved in the way people hear them that does not seem to give them the full benefit of what good hi-res surround sound can provide. That's my two cents worth and Two Cents is certainly entitled to his.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4596
I first heard about the Love DVD here, MR, and from you. I think it might make a good Christmas present for someone I know!

Perhaps we've answered the "Old Dog" question at last. Certainly SACD is gaining ground fast since we started this thread, and the labels all say it is about surround sound, not hi-res stereo. Perhaps people buy SACD players to plug into their home theater/cinema systems.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 969
I' sure the someone you know will enjoy the 'Love' CD or CD/DVD-A, John. As far as SACD labels saying it's all about surround sound, I have only seen that on a few surround SACD's. According to some internet music stores I deal with, many of the new (and old newly remixed) releases are still in stereo only. Telarc for example are only releasing SACD's in stereo unless the music and production really lends itself to multichannel.

Well, I have our universal player 'plugged' into our HT system, but configurations for HT are made in our AV receiver and those for SACD/DVD-A are made in the universal player - and never the twain shall meet. But I get your point which, as you guessed, is along the lines of my point.

Anyway, I like it all, CD, HDCD, hi-res multichannel and stereo. So long as the production and music is good. The novelty part of multi-channel wore off for me a long time ago. It's in the music listening - not speaker sound spotting. When one can truly let the speakers disappear then one might get much more out of the MC experience.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4599
Thanks, MR. Yes, getting the speakers to disappear is the point. It always was. If MC helps, then it is progress, for sure.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 643
5 Levels of a Hangover

One Star Hangover (*)
No pain. No real feeling of illness. You're able to function relatively
well. However, you are still parched. You can drink 5 Cokes and still
feel this way. For some reason, you are craving a steak & fries.

Two Star Hangover (**)
No pain, but something is definitely amiss. You may look okay, but you
have the mental capacity of a staple gun. The coffee you are chugging is
only increasing your rumbling gut, which is still tossing around the
fruity pancake from the 3:00am Waffle House excursion. There is some
definite havoc being wreaked upon your bowels.

Three Star Hangover (***)
Slight headache. Stomach feels crappy. You are definitely not
productive. Anytime a girl walks by you gag because her perfume reminds
you of the flavored schnapps shots your alcoholic friends dared you to
drink. Life would be better right now if you were home in your bed
watching Lucy reruns. You've had 4 cups of coffee, a gallon of water, 3
iced teas and a diet Coke -- yet you haven't peed once.

Four Star Hangover (****)
Life sucks. Your head is throbbing. You can't speak too quickly or else
you might puke. Your boss has already lambasted you for being late and
has given you a lecture for reeking of booze. You wore nice clothes, but
that can't hide the fact that you only shaved one side of your face. For
the ladies, it looks like you put your make-up on while riding the
bumper cars. Your eyes look like one big red vein, and even your hair
hurts. Your sphincter is in perpetual spasm, and the first of about five
dumps you take during the day brings tears to the eyes of everyone who
enters the bathroom.

Five Star Hangover (*****)
You have a second heartbeat in your head, which is actually annoying the
employee who sits in the next cube. Vodka vapor is seeping out of every
pore and making you dizzy. You still have toothpaste crust in the
corners of your mouth from brushing your teeth in an attempt to get the
remnants of the dung fairy out. Your body has lost the ability to
generate saliva so your tongue is suffocating you. You don't have the
foggiest idea who the hell the stranger was passed out in your bed this
morning. Any attempt to defecate results in a fire hose like discharge
of alcohol-scented fluid with a rare 'floater' thrown in. The sole
purpose of this 'floater' seems to be to splash the toilet water all
over your rear. Death sounds pretty good about right now....

THINGS THAT ARE DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK:
Indubitably
Innovative
Preliminary
Proliferation
Cinnamon

THINGS THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO SAY WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK
Specificity
British Constitution
Passive-aggressive disorder
Loquacious
Transubstantiate

THINGS THAT ARE DOWNRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK:
Thanks, but I don't want to have sex.
Nope, no more booze for me.
Sorry, but you're not really my type.
Good evening officer isn't it lovely out tonight.
Oh, I just couldn't. No one wants to hear me sing.
Sorry I'm being such a jack***

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 644
Sorry, meant to post this in the "jokes" section.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 977
Sem, that's the problem with drinking - you put things in the wrong place.

That and getting old!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4601
Nice, Sem!

There is also a list of things that are difficult to say when sober....

May I change the subject?

I have an e-mail alias reserved just for ecoustics.

I've started to receive spam at it. The first message ever was on Dec 13, claiming to sell watches. "Prestige Replicas. Made similar to that of the real brand ones". Since then, one more, thanking me for my loan request, and offering sum of money; a clumsy attempt at fraud, orginating from Brasil.

Anyway, I was always pleased that my ecoustics e-mail was clean and spam-free. No longer.

Anyone else had this experience?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1550
I get all of those along with viagara spam. The only problem - it's not the e-mail I have listed with ecoustics. The address I have with ecoustics is an old one that I hardly ever use anymore. I get no spam whatsoever in that one. And it's a hotmail account. Go figure.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 980
The domain email addresses of my websites attract ridiculous amounts of spam as do our personal ip addresses though while the alias I use here gets much less. I hate spammers and telemarketers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4902
M.R. has an Alias...hmmm.
He's Batman.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 986
Yeah, my life's upside down!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4906
?os woH

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 988
s'taht tahw a tab seod nehw s'eh ton ysub, kcuN!

Well, on Friday I ordered another pair of Merlin Verdi interconnects. A demo pair costing me $AU200, a very good price thanks homecinemaimports/audiofix, Sunshine coast. After spending over $500 on the last two pair (Verdi + Chopin) I wonder if I'm losing it. I think Mr's M.R. probably thinks so. Playing CD's on the 3910 sounds awful compared to the brilliant sound of the 542 with these cables. When I fit them to the 3910 I/we cannot tell the difference. But, how do you convince the non believers about the value of good cables? The trick is - don't bother! If someone suggested a year ago that I spend that much I would have laughed at them. I don't say these are THE cables, but they certainly are for our system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4909
Yeah, MR, the debate will rage on, until everbody has a system that will expose the cheapos.
And it really doesn't take that much money to expose the stock molded cables, either.
Granted, your slections are above the regular buyers, but a lot of people pay a lot more!
I got my Goertz SPDIF and Sonic Voices XLR's with the used kit.
Never tried any others, no need, really.

I hope your cables look as good as they sound(never see them, actually?)

Everything matters. Metres or microns. Matters.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 989
http://www.merlincables.com/interSt.htm

Looks don't matter Nuck - as they are hidden anyway. This latest pair is missing the blue shrink wrap around the filter on one length (the dealer was curious as to what lurked underneath), which is why the good deal. I knew cables made a difference, but I never would have thought the amount of difference these made. I would never have discovered this only the dealer lent me a pair to try. I guess he knew something.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 221
Nuck / Rantz,

It only has to matter to you. I had one of my best friends stop by this afternoon to check out my new abode. While here he insisted he had to listen to my system as another friend's wife spoke highly of it.

(Friend's wife was with friend when she heard it so do not go there please.)

The friend today was one who thought me a fool for what I was doing with my 2 channel system. Today he heard it for the 1st time in a non-optimized room, as well as my Klipsh Reference surround system (with 2nd Sub, Paradigm 1000 added in). He was freakin blown away. Said he felt sheepish demoing his system to me. I explained it is all relavenet, that there was no way a HT system could match a higher 2 channel set up, especially with a Linn or Apollo driving the media, and that I did not have the Klipsh system when I heard his. So in fact his system did impress me when I heard it.

I never got into how the new system that came with the house undermined my "super HT system" I had been collecting parts for.

The point of this is that we could all be critical of what others do, but must at least allow that, hey if works for you so be it. Short of those tiny little clocks. :-)

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 990
Hey Michael, you trying to tell me my tiny little clocks don't work? Ha! ha!

Yes, it's what matters to us that counts. But I mentioned the improvement these cables made on another forum (where I very seldom go) and got lampooned into the bargain. That forum is where a less intelligent breed hang out methinks.

Now, it's time to carefully place the coloured rocks around my components.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us