Preamp Brand to look at

Bronze Member
Username: Nytefog

Post Number: 21
I'm looking to built a small home stereo system. Can anyone lead me in the right direction by giving me some companies names that produce good quality products for around $1500

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5097
Patrick, how close is your nearest hi-fi dealer?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9556

Do you want a pre amp for $1500?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1001
Patrick:

If I interpret your post correctly, you want a small home stereo system for $1500? If so, I am mystified why you would post under "preamps," but perhaps you didn't see anywhere else to post your question.

If so, I would suggest an NAD integrated amp and CD player.

My second choice would be for a Cambridge Audio integrated amp and CD player.

Finally, also check out The Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver. Rotel is a good brand, as well, but would probably be above your price range.

A pair of good speakers can be obtained from NHT, PSB, Paradigm, Dynaudio, and B+W, to name a few.

However, if you are looking for just a good stereo pre-amp for $1500 or less, you have a lot of good choices. Check out NAD, Rotel, Adcom, Cambridge Audio, and B&K. Again, there are more but this is a place to start.

Bronze Member
Username: Nytefog

Post Number: 22
i'm actually wanting to build a separates stereo system. I was just interested on getting peoples opinions on brands of preamps and amps i should audition. I am planning to spend around $2000 +/- for a preamp and amp. I rather not get a integrated unit because I don't have flexibility when upgrading my equipment in the future.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5117
Patrick, the fact that you are just looking to buy, yet mention upgrading already, gives me pause.
Again, I strongly suggest that you see your local dealer in hi-fi.
As per your description, a pre-loved stereo pre and amp can be had for those type of dollars, and if you shop carefully and keep in touch with your dealer, you could find something which NEVER NEEDS UPGRADING!

That is how I bought my presesnt stuff, and at a steep discount, I must say.
Let the rich guys suffer upgradeitis, you can pick up the good stuff that they trade.
That happens at a good dealer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5122
In the meantime, if you save the pennies for something really good, how about one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pioneer-SX-3700-Stereo-Receiver-c1980-sx3700_W0QQite mZ120068642380QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Heard one last night, and all the old Pioneer days came back. I like this one.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9561

P - You are a man of few words. Which leaves us with no words of advice to give. You don't give us much to go on when all you state is you are looking for a separates system with an amp and pre amp for about $2k. With no more information than that to go on, my best advice is to subscribe to Stereophile and read their "Recommended Components" issue. You understand; don't you? We can't tell you what to look for if $2k is your only consideration. You should look at all you can for that price, both new and used. Asking any more of us is a bit much.

Go find a dealer, P. Or, at least, do some research on your own and then come back with more specific requests and further tidbits of information about what you want.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5125
If Pat is AWOL, Jan how about the sx series from Pioneer?
Light in the weight, but very active at the outputs.
My BIL got a pristine 3700 given to him, gratis.
Pioneer Hr40(?) 3 way speakers, too.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9564

For free almost anything is worth the price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5131
Almost, cept'n the dose.
Dish on your fav Pioneer.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9566

Favorite Pioneer? The TX9500 was a pretty good tuner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us