Hooking up Onkyo TX-SR600?

First let me say that I am a complete idiot where A/V systems and components are concerned. Many would say that I'm an idiot in many other areas too. I wouldn't disagree too much.

Anyway, I received an Onkyo TX-SR600 AV Receiver for Christmas. It is to replace a failing Sony STR-D615 which as served us fairly well for a few years. It was pretty much plug and play...

Today I finally had the time to "attempt" hooking up the Onkyo. I figured it would be fairly simple, just disconnect the Sony and hook up the Onkyo in much the same way. Boy was I wrong! (Idiot tendencies shining through)

I am connecting existing Bose Acoustimass 15 Home Theatre Surround speakers to the Onkyo. Pretty straight forward, the Bose wires are pre-labeled (Left, Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right, Subwoofer).

I connected the VCR and DVD to the analog audio and composite video connectors. I connected the CD player via analog audio. Simple enough so far.

My problem seems to be connecting my TV and getting a picture from the DVD and VCR on the TV. I connected my TV (- old Toshiba 27" that has S-Video and composite video/analog audio) to the Video 2 composite video and analog audio inputs as suggested in the instruction booklet.

TV works OK with the receiver but when I try to play a DVD or video tape I get the audio but no video on the TV. I even tried connecting the TV via S-Video to the Monitor Out connector without any luck.

What I thought would take me an hour or two at the most has taken me pretty much all day and I still haven't achieved the desired results. (Everything worked OK on the Sony but the rear surround zone was starting to fail.)

What am I doing wrong? I tried reading through the manual but it's pretty much Greek to me...

I would appreciate any and all help, suggestions, insults or what ever you have to offer to help me solve my problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

Anonymous
the sr600 does not do the composite to s-video conversion, so in order to utilize the higher quality s-video connection run a s-video cable from your dvd to the s-video input on the tv. Then run a composite rca from (yellow) from the vhs to the tv. You will have to change the input on the tv, and the input on the receiver. I would use one of the digital outputs on the dvd player, to enjoy dd 5.1.

ELS
I have a similar problem on my HT-R500 Onkyo receiver in that I cannot get a picture only sound.

To no avail, I needed to connect the video cable to the TV directly.

Anonymous
I have the sr500 hooked up as follows: TV Audio L/R out to Video2 L/R in. VCR A/V out to Video 1 VCR A/V in. Video 1 A/V out to the VCR's A/V in. My DVD player has digital coax and S video out so I connected them to the onkyo as well as the A/V Yellow, Red And White from the DVD Player to the Onkyo DVD A/V in. I have a yellow video cable from onkyo monitor out to video in on my tv and an S video from the onkyo monitor out to S-video in on my TV. To watch TV I use channel 3, for vcr, I put my tv in VCR mode and for DVD's I use my TV's SVHS mode. Check out monster cable's web sight for hook up diagrams as well as onkyo's sight.

I just got the onkyo 600. my problem is that I can't for the life of me, figure out how to get the on screen display to set-up the speakers so that I can make the needed adjustments.
What am I misssing? Is there some easy thing I'm overlooking?
Any help is appreciated.

Anonymous
The OSD can be used when connected to svideo or composite video. I think that it defaults to composite. Run a video cable from the monitor out to the TV.

Anonymous
i HAVE A DENON 1601 AND GETTING A TOSHIBA CINEMA PROJECTION TV****HAS ANYONE HOOKED THIS TYPE OF COMBO UP BEFORE***I WAS GOING TO HOOK THE DVD DIRECTLY TO THE TV WITH THE RED,GREEN,& BLUE WIRING FOR AND HOOK THE DTS & VIDIO FROM THE DVD TO MY RECEIVER FOR 5.1, WILL THAT WORK??? OR DOES SOMEONE HAVE THE CORRECT WAY***THANKS***MIKE

Anonymous
How do you connect your dvd to the receiver? Is it ok to use only the digital coaxial? My onkyo TX-SR600 is connected to Bose Accoustimass 16 but somehow I find there is something lacking. The sound just doesn't blow me away.

Anonymous
its the BOSE, no highs, no lows..hmmm must be Bose...

Anonymous
Sorry to be such a novice at this. I realized that I cannot pick Multi-Channel if I connect my dvd player to the receiver with only digital coaxial. DTS only works with multi-channel but my dvd player does not have multi-channel output. Is changing a dvd player the only way to solve this? This is for Onkyo 600 receiver.

Anonymous
DTS will work with either the digital coax or optical connection. You just have to make sure that the DVD itself has a DTS soundtrack, ie Gladiator.

What about getting digital sound? Or more importantly, DD EX or DTS-ES? Do you have to have multi-channel hookup for that? i can't for the life of me get 6.1 sound, or even DOLBY DIGITAL to light up with the digital optical cable. The manual says Multichannel is required. Do I have to get a new DVD player? WHAT THE?

Derek
You have to assign your digital input to what ever source button you have selected. Most receivers will assume analog until you do the assignment. The digital input does not automaticly belong to the DVD player. It can be assigned to almost any input.

Anonymous
Some dvd players have to be switched in there menu setting to output DTS singel. Mine is like this, and if the power goes off I have to set the dvd player every time to output DTS singnal.
Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us