Denon 3805 and Klipsch RF7

Average Joe
Unregistered guest
I purchased Klipsch RF7, RC7 (center), RSW15 (sub), and RB25 (rear) speakers. I also purchased a Denon 3805 A/V receiver. It should be delivered today or tomorrow.

Is the Denon adequate to push those speakers to their full potential? Or should I return the Denon and go with a pre-amp/amp combo such as the Outlaw 770/950 combo?

Any advice would be helpful as I am completely new to this area and have no expertise.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1202
well i would think the outlaw combo would definately
be better then the denon.

but you don't need to go seperates to get the sound
from your klipsch.

marantz,pioneer elite and h/k all work nice with
klipsch.

and i hate to say it but better then the denon will also.

denon and klipsch just aren't a great match!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 583
I agree. Way too bright and thin for my taste. One or the other might be ok seperately but toghther I have never liked that combination and I've heard it at a local dealer for many years. Kegger's recomendations are the correct ones.

Average Joe
Unregistered guest
Okay. When the Denon comes I'll try it out. I can return/exchange it no problem.

My (soon to have) DVD player (Samsung HD941) has an HDMI connector and so does my TV (Mitsubishi WD62525). But I haven't seen any receivers with HDMI yet. How important is this?

I feel I am buying a receiver on the cusp of a switchover to new technology. Should I wait six months to buy a receiver that has HDMI? If I buy a receiver now for 1k or so, am I really buying outdated equipment already?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1207
i don't think i'd be too worried about hdmi on the reciever.

if the reciever doesn't have sacd or dvd-a decoders built
in it then i don't see the point.

but for the video from dvd to tv i would like that.

Average Joe
Unregistered guest
Without a HDMI receiver, one has to tune the TV into the component input in which the OSD of the Denon is outputting. If you're watching a DVD, you cannot view the OSD of the Denon, without tuning into the appropriate input.

I haven't hooked up my equipment yet but I can only assume that's the way it would work?

Also is it true that the cable length must be the same for optimal sound for the three front speakers?

Also, why are so many people on the internet against Monster cable? The Klipsch uses Monster cable internally. Is it just simply overpriced, or is there a technical problem with it?

Bronze Member
Username: Iceberg

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 25
I have monster cables on every speaker. Also my optical cables are monster. Yeah they are expensive but work great for me. I would not buy any other cable. And also there are no technical problems with them, people don't like them because of their price.

Unregistered guest
Average Joe, How does it all sound? Too Bright? I am days away from buying the same system.. What is a comparble reciever to tone down the Klipsch's ?

Average Joe
Unregistered guest
Yes sounds too bright. During sword fight scenes the high's are hard on the ears. Makes you say "hey it's too loud" when in fact it is not. After an hour or so of listening the highs are tiresome on the ear and you just want to turn the whole thing down. Next weekend I might trade in the Denon 3805 for a H/K of comparable power.

Unregistered guest
Anyone have any experience w/ the RF-7 series speaker w/ the RC-7 and RS-7 and RSW-15 ? I need a pair of RF-7's. HELP...or advise me of something better. i use a B&K 6 channel amp (125 X 6)...if that will help. Thanx, born2rock@pdq.net

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
I have to disagree. I own the 3805 and RF5, RSW15, etc. and it sounds fantastic. Klipsch are bright speakers - if you feel the need to tune them down then perhaps these aren't the speakers for you. I ran the speakers at first through my Yamaha receiver (an older version of the RX-V2400) and they sounded very similar. I have some older but very good Energy speakers (think Connoisseur line not Encore) - and the difference was night and day. Both sounded very good. The Klisch/Denon combination being the best. It's all relative - but my point is - if you don't like the sound you have (and you're using decent equipment all around) - speakers seem to be a better place to start.

Username: Sound_advice

Post Number: 7
I'll agree with BruinsFan even though I dislike the Bruins...Read any reviews and not one would even say that the Denon receivers are Harsh...maybe the old Yamis but not the Denon.
Some say they sound thin and midrange-gy but i'd disagree to that to some point.

Any speakers that are Horn loaded will tend to be a bit Harsh but that's ok if you're 60 years old...(Joke for loss of hearing :-))

Like the Bruin guy said if you are concerned with the brightness maybe the Klipsh aren't for you.

Read the review in between the H/K630 and the Denon 3805...the 3805 was the ultimate winner versus the Pioneer Elite 55, H/K630, Sherwood Newcastle...

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1444
everyone has their own oppinions on how sound should be.
I have no problem with that. and I even like my speakers a little bright.
but I had a yamaha reciever which worked great for movies
but music was just to much.
I tried a denon better then the yamaha but still
not quite right for me.
I got the h/k and for me just right!

not to bright but still very dynamic and much more enjoyable for music.
it's not harsh and much easier on the ears for longer periods of time!
but still the great sound from the klipsch horns.
i really like the combonation!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
We all hear differently...that's what makes the world go round and round :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 638
I must point out that the review of the various receivers was in HT last month and this reveiwer always uses his own Paradigm Studio 20's. If you know anything about the Paradigms you will know they match very well with bright,thin receivers like Denon, Yamaha and I guess now Sherwood and not as well with Elite, H/K, Marantz etc. Take Mark Fleishman's reviews with a grain of salt as they say because he doesn't take into consideration how a particular receiver matches sonically with the 20's, which must be factored in. All of these units have their strong and weak points and proper matching is a must. From many years of listening at one of my local stores and owning two Denon's I can say for sure that Denon and Klipsch is not a good match and if you have that combination your tolerance for harshness and sibilance is far greater than mine. With other brands they are fine but together they make my ears bleed. To each his own.

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
So what is the general recommendation for a receiver when running Klipsch speakers? What's in the same playing field as the Denon 3805 but would match up better? I just want to hear what I'm missing.

Bronze Member
Username: Awedio

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 18
i agree with elitefan. i had a denon and i went to a NAD. the nad is better but still too bright for my liking with the klipsch rf3s. hence y now i am looking to purchase some paradigms or psbs. its not that every song is bright, some that feature or focus on low end frequencies sound great. but for the majority of music, which resides in the mid to higher end, klipsch really do need a warmer receiver.

ian

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1459
the usuallly recomended brands are pioneer elite
harmon kardon or marantz.

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
Which H/K did you go with? I like the 3805 because you can assign outputs to a second zone - but it will not take a digital input. And it doesn't have a video passthrough when it's off. If the H/K rectified this - I'd be all over it.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1462
I went with the hk525 but i'm not sure about video
passthrough when it's off.

but it seems to do everything else just fine.

I have a widescreen hd tv and run my dvd straight to it.
then all the other components s-video through the reciever.

you can assign anything you want anywhere you want.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I'd recommend the Nad t763, Marantz sr8400 for around the same price as the Denon 3805.

Or maybe you should look at the Outlaw Audio combo, you'd get the best of both world at a decent price to boot. I think that they also give you 30 days to try out...?

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
Well I wish I had more experience with this so I would know what to listen for. How about an Arcam avr300 - I know it's a jump in price but the dealer carries that one and Sony ES line.

Don't get me wrong I like the sound of the Denon but since folks feel so strongly about the klipsch/denon mix - I guess it's worth at least checking into some more.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
The Arcam AVR300 is one of the best if not the best audio video receiver out there right now, it's so warm you'll burn yourself, I heard the two 3805/300 side by side and there was no change for the 3805 the 300 sounds so much more detailled and relaxed, it leaves you all fuzzy inside, where the 3805 sound more digitaly compressed...if money is an issue I understand Arcam is releasing an AVR250 shorthly, all the same features but less power, no pre-outs and no green lights above the input selection...I will be purchasing this unit myself when it comes out

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1484
personally i havn't heard the arcam/klipsch combo.

but i have to agree with "sound advice" the avr300 is
one heck of a reciever.

Iv'e listend to it a few times and love the unit.
very wide soundstage.

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
well, now I'm just not getting anywhere at the moment.

I'm trying to mate my new Klipsch RF5, RC7, RSW15 with a decent receiver and DVD player - that matches well with them, as well as the room, my ears, my budget, etc.

I can see the argument for the seperates - alot of folks have dedicated listening rooms or listen to a lot of DVD Audio or SACD. Last night I auditioned a Rotel and an Arcam with Denon's 2900 through RF5s. It sounded amazing to me. Problem is that isn't how I listen to music. When I use my DVD it's for movies - not much else. When I listen to music it's usually XM Radio or MP3 - neither of which I would consider high quality sources.

With that in mind - is just a waste of money to go into a higher end receiver or seperates? And I really don't see what a $1000+ DVD player is going to do for me. I can see how it would benefit others but for my uses.....

I know it's what "sounds good to me" but there's just no way to audition all the decent equipment. Then you take it home - it sounds different anyways plus I just don't know how it will do with my sources.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1495
bruinsfan I'm not excactly sure what your asking.

but I would agree if your listening to mainly xm and mp3
then top notch equipment may be overkill.

I would look for a midpriced marantz/pioneer elite or h/k reciever.
you know the $500-$750 range and a dvd player like
the pioneer 563a sacd/dvd-a/dvd player also cd's
for about $125.
now that should give you a good sounding budget
system that can do it all!

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
yeah - neither do i. I guess I'm trying to work through what I really need from my equipment. I think I could make do with a less expensive receiver - but I don't want to give up to much quality on the video either - since movies are important. Don't know much about how the up conversions work - but I may have to consider a more expensive receiver so as not to degrade the video.

Haven't looked at the 563a - but was thinking either the Denon 1910 or 2200 would be sufficient for my needs.

sorry to be vague - but it's a learning process.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1497
I have the pioneer 563a and the denon 2200 plus
a harmon kardon hk525 reciever.

to me their is very little difference between the
pioneer and denon players
in both video and audio quality.

the hk525 is a great reciever.
I don't run my video through a reciever, i run it straight to
my 56" widescreen hd tv so their is no signal loss!

hope that is some help for you!
now all i can do is tell you what i have and have
done with my setup and let you evaluate from their.

so i have listed my stuff to let you know what it
looks and sounds like.

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
yes - and your input and the others have been helpful. I'm leaning one of two ways depending on budget -

Denon 3805
Denon 2200

or

Rotel RSX-1067
Rotel RDV-1050

Some don't like the Denon with Klipsch but too me it sounds good. I like the Rotel stuff - definetly see the argument of being better - just have to decide if it's worth an extra $1000 better.

Opinions?

Kegger: it's compelling to me to check out HK since you like them so much - but the only dealer I've found in my area is a circuit city - they did have the AVR-630 in - which I believe is decent - but the setup made it sound crappy. The kid running it was clueless. If I could have heard it in at a better place maybe it would have made the list.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
We all have are own views and arguments why one sounds or is better somehow over the other but if you ask me...You can't go wrong with either set ups but i'll give the advantage to the Rotel, even if you pic the 1056.

Right now you're not comparing apples to apples with the 3805 vs the 1067, the Rotel is way more expensive...
I've heard the Rotel 1056 side by side versus the Denon 3805 and believe me the Rotel is way better...much more mature sounding, better and fuller sound soundstage...you'll hear bass guitar like it was meant to be hear, not digitally compressed.

By the way, i'm with you when it comes to HK anytime that i've heard it, it didn't blow me away but probably because I've heard it in a bad environment like Future Shop or Best Buy, so i can't comment too much on it

BruinsFan
Unregistered guest
Funny you should mention that - I was just reading about the 1056 - even the guy at the A/V shop glanced over it because it's a 5.1 system. But if I'm reading this right - you can redirect the mains to a seperate amp - thus giving you a 7.1 setup.

Seems like 1056 is a good start and then add an amp for even better 2 channel and 7.1. I think I have my answer.

I'm guessing 75watts to the center channel is enough. That would be the only concern not having heard it. 75watts to the rears should be plenty for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
Remember with Rotel you are getting at least 75 watts to all channels. Great power supplies.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
You finally got it, yes you can upgrade it to 7.1 with a seperate amplifier...you get the best of both world...Home Theater and Super stereo sound. 75W is 75W not 37.5 x 7 like some other receivers...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us