Satellite Radio

Username: Rickc

Post Number: 3
Does anyone know if the sound quality out of a satellite receiver into an amp is anywhere comparable to a decent tuner?

Username: J_strazz

Post Number: 2
I suggest getting a Satellite Ready receiver. It has the Satellite tuner built in. You just need the antenna which is sold separately. I've used my My-Fi receiver in my home stereo and it sounded ok...but then I upgraded my home receiver to one with the XM Tuner built in and the sound is soooo much better.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4454
Sound Quality of 'Radio Systems' from Best to Worst, according to http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/

FM
broadband internet radio
digital satellite
Freeview
digital cable
DAB
AM

The above is a UK site: "Freeview" means digital terrestrial television; "DAB" means Digital Audio Broadcasting. Currently, in the UK, DAB means broadcast, low-bandwidth MP3.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your replies. I am surprised. I was under the impression that digital satellite had much larger bandwidth than FM therefore a better sound quality. I guess for my purposes hooking up the satellite receiver to the aux of my amp would still be wise for commercial free background music but not for serious listening.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4460
rick,

I had a Nokia satellite receiver and it was very good. It gave digital audio output. After the digital output from the satellite receiver, the sound is probably as good as the Digital-to-Analogue Converters (DACs) in the amp or receiver. DACs in satellite recievers are usually not so good, so if you choose the analogue output from that, the sound may not as good.

The best FM, with a good tuner and antenna, will win because it is analogue all the way through. But you may have fewer channels, and more interference; FM bands are getting crowded with radio stations. Digital satellite audio reception can give sound as good as CD.

Post Number: 5
So it's the DAC's in the satellite receiver that deminish the sound quality, makes sense.

Thanks John

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4471
That seemed to be true for our Nokia satellite receiver, at least.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us