Martin Logan owners - Amp Recommendation

Bronze Member
Username: Tomcat

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 38
I just bought a pair of Martin Logan Ascent-i to be placed in a room size of 14x23x14. I had pretty much decided on Rotel RMB-1075 with RSP-1068 processor (for $2500).

But reading some of the posts I get the feeling that the RMB-1075 rated at 125W 8 ohm ( 200W 4ohm)may not be sufficient to drive Ascent-i's.

I am looking to slowely build a 5.1 home theater system. What other options do I have for an Amp/Pro pair under $3000. Something that produces neutral sound (not laid back or harsh).

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4337
kamran,

Look at the minimum amplifier power rating recommeded by Martin Logan. This will be "sufficient to drive" the speakers. After that, consider quality, not power rating. Those are very special speakers. You might consider a tube (valve) amp, say, from Audio Research or McIntosh. Your dealer should have some idea of what works well.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 39
The problem is that dealers only tell you what they sell everything else is crap for them.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4339
They can demonstrate...how did you decide on the speakers?

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 40
I saw it coming.
It's easier to tell the difference on how a speaker sound at least for me. But I find it difficult to tell any significant difference between amps. I guess I have to pay more attention next time.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4340
It was not intended as a trap. You bought excellent speakers. Did you get a dealer demonstration? The difference between amps is usually less easy to tell, I agree.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 41
Yes, I listened to them through Rotel and at another dealer through krell. but I could not tell the different between the two as they were not side by side comparison.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4341
kamran,

I see. I still think it would be useful to know what the dealers have to say about suitable amps.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 43
One said go with Rotel 125W and the other said go with Sunfire 200W.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4346
Thanks. Someone else please comment. Fine speakers.

Username: Ppopp

Post Number: 1
Hi John,
I have the ML Aeon I's and I currently use a Musical Fidelity A300 with very good results. I'm looking to change though. Electrostatics love being driven by valve amps but because they are rather current hungry I would avoid single-ended given how much you are looking to spend.
Your Rotel is okay and plenty powerful, but no able to bring out the best in the Ascents.
Have a look at amps by Audio Research (VSi55), Quad's new valve amps and Unison. Also, if you prefer to keep the price down and wish to stay with solid state, Cambridge Audio's new Azure 840a with it's Class XD (read 'Class A' predominantly in character) is something of a Texan's Sugden A21. Power, finess and warmth all in one. Don't be fooled by the price, I hear it performs way beyond it's price level. As do many other Cambridge Audio products.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1489
I haven't heard them myself, but Rotel's new Class D 10 series power amps are meant to be absolutely cracking. Huge power (there's a multi-channel version too), low heat dissipation and supposedly really clean powerful sound.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4370
Thanks, Bernard. It was kamran who had the question.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 44
Thanks guys for the information. The Audio Research (VSi55) is rated only at 50W. The Rotel new 1077 is something around $2400, for this much I can get a mint parasound A51 which is in league of its own. Azur 840A is rated at same power as Rotel.

I think I am going to stay with Solid State and buy Rotel for now and once I have more money will probably get something bigger.

California USA

Post Number: 2
Don't worry about the power rating on the VSi55. The power deliverey of this amp is up there with some of the best of them. Wattage ratings can be very misleading. It'll have no trouble driving your Ascents to volume levels beyond what you wish to hear. The VSi55 has superb output traqnsformers. It's capable of making respected 100watt transistor amps sound lethargic.

California USA

Post Number: 3
Settling for the Rotel would be like buying a Volvo S80 instead of a BMW M3.
The Rotel has a faithfull output, but it won't do the Ascents justice. The Cambridge Azure 840a is a better bet for much less money. It's character will be a better match for ML Ascents.
The VSi55 is the best bet overall though. They'll drive practically any speaker effortlessly. It has real punch and the tube sound is perfect for electrostatics. Tube watts are quite different to tranny watts.
I don't know if you read Hi-Fi World, but they say there's nothing to touch it for under $3k when used with electrostatics (as well as other speakers of regular con speakers). And they aren't the only magazine out there who think this.
The Rotel or Parasound would be settling for something pleasant but not thrilling.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4383
Bernard;- I agree. I bought an amp once on the basis of the cheapest Watt. It's a mistake. Kamran;- try to audition a tube amp with those speakers. They deserve the best.

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 46
Hmmm, I guess I have to listen to it before I make a decision.

I compared Rotel 1075 (125W) with Arcam (140W)and Arcam lacks significnant bass compared to Rotel at same volume.

What do you think about Outlaw 755 (200W)? How does it compare to Rotel 1080 (especially in bass)?

Bronze Member

Allentown, PA

Post Number: 47
Bernard,
The VSi55 is a stereo amp. To build a 5.1 setup I would need 3 of these. Do you know how much does each cost.

Username: Ydsheth

Post Number: 6
Go for a nice Stereo Power Amp, and add a 3 Power channel Amp that does not cost a bomb. That way you will do full justice to music and also complete your home theatre!
For stereo power amp you can look out for Krell, Classe, NAD Silver Series, Bryston, Jeff Rowland, Mark Levinson, Theta Digital, McIntosh, Meridian, NAIM etc. All these company makes good amps. Dont hurry up in buying the amp. At least have demo of some of them with comparable speakers. Most of these companies also make surround sound processor(pre amp).
And of course dont forget "quality of any system is determined(restricted) by the weakest component". So dont forget your source and interconnects!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us