Home Audio for a College Student

Username: El_dave

Berkeley, California USA

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to these forums, so go easy on me (please). I have a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver I inherited from my parents after they upgraded to a better one. I'm a relatively poor college student that would like to put together a home audio system for my room (not a very large room as you might imagine) on a budget. A very tight budget, unfortunately. If you have any suggestions for which speakers I could use to accompany my new receiver, I would greatly appreciate your input. The main purpose of this system is listening to music (from my computer and a cd player), mostly rock, hip-hop/rap, and electronic music. Thanks for your input!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8336
Go to Fluance.com. Excellent speakers for a modest budget.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 988
Go to www.alegriaaudio.com and see if you can't get a pair of Emmas from Tim. These speakers are incredible at their price point and you won't need a sub to get decent bass out of them. That said, given the music you're listening to these may not be to your liking.

The other option would be to listen to some cheaper floorstanders, such as the Athenas. Check on eBay or do a google on them. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4271
DT,

what's your max budget?

Bronze Member
Username: Loce

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 38
If you are on a tight budget, as I am, you might also consider some vintage speakers to hold you through college. Perhaps some Polk Monitor 7s, which you might find for $50 or less (I did).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us