Outlaw 970 pre/pro

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1161
Does anybody have experience with this unit or the 990?
The features seen to line up, the dvi will do what I want for hd or blu, whenever that happens, not critical right now.
I don't need a tuner either, although the cable I have does offer some digital channels that I don't use right now.
Any direct comparisons with other mkes/models?

I may want to match with 5x mono blocks, quite well priced for 5 together.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 720
Nuck:

I have no experience with either pre/pro from Outlaw. However, I was quite impressed to find the 970 named one of the 100 best products by A/V Revolution. Here is the link so that you can read it for yourself:

http://www.avrev.com/equip/outlaw_970_7075/index.html

With five monoblocks, I would think that would make for quite an impressive system.

I hope this is of some help.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1774
Thanks Hawk, I've read them all, I think.
Just can't pull the trigger with the Canadian border costs.
They are ANIMALS!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 859
Nuck,

Hold that trigger. I bought a "B" Stock this morning and it's shipping tomorrow. I'm going to replace the Denon 3803 with it and I've got a friend who is buying the Denon. I'll be happy to let you know what I hear, if anything, that it does better.

It will be hooked up to my Adcom 7607 and my Denon DVD 2200 and the Ascend CBM 170s around with the Ascend 340C center.

I'm really excited to see what it will do as it is the perfect size and set-up for what I was looking for. I considered springing for the 990 but most of the features would not be used and I didn't want to pay for automatic set-up that I'd use once and probably never again. SPLs anyone?

If you really want one bad, I'll meet you in BC and I'll hand it across the Border and you can run really, really fast. LOL

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1897
Thanks, Dave.
Nice legal advice, and for free.
That border is usually on the lookout for other than hi-fi stuff, anyway!

Keep us posted!

And what became of the AL's?
Second system now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 864
Nuck,

The ALs are back and up to snuff and then some. They really sound fantastic. I just purchased a new IC that I'll put in the 2 channel system and I'm going to look for some decent cables for speakers to replace 14 gauge zip cord from BB. Then, I'm leaving the 2 channel system alone for awhile and just enjoy it.

The Outlaw shipped yesterday and it will replace the Denon, as I said before. This will end my "tweaking" of the HT system until I decide, much later this year, whether to look for another Universal DVD/CDP on Audiogon, probably the Denon 2910 in a modded form or not. (I'm really not convinced I can get much better sound out of something more expensive without improving my speakers, at least the fronts and I've been considering putting Tim's Emmas up front with one of Tim's upcoming Emma centers. First, I've got to fix the room though as it's a really crappy set-up.) Thanks for askin', Dave.

Silver Member

Post Number: 894
Nuck,

Got the Outlaw 970 pre/pro on Thursday and it hooked up in less than 30 minutes. Very easy wiring set-up and similar to the Denon 3803 I was using as a Pre/pro.

The actual on-screen set-up was a little more difficult but not horrible and it's really nice to be able to use component video connections and still have a OSD.

Once completed, I started up a movie and I was completely unimpressed (as was my wife with the smartyaleck comment, "well, does that seem like a $650 improvement in sound?"

I was having trouble with my subwoofer and balance on the speakers with the initial out-of-box setup. So, I did some tweaking, played with the speakers output (I didn't have a soundmeter) and put on War of the Worlds. In the early scene with the lightning strikes, the sound was incredible in its realism. Then, there's a scene with the first tripod coming out of the ground and a store windows break in seriatum and the sound travels around the room perfectly.

WOW, so that's what they meant by surround sound. Anyway, I cotinued tweaking over the weekend and listened to several movies, SACDs and DVD-As and the sound was very true and very clean. My Ascends really liked the upgrade and so do I. I am not certain how Outlaw gets that much control out of it at that price.

BUT, IMHO opinion, it is well worth th money. (It didn't hurt that a friend bought my Denon and old surround sound speakers and paid for a large part of the upgrade.) So, i say quit hesitating, take the jump. Mine is a "B-Stock" and I'm still looking for the cosmetic defect and it still comes with Outlaw's 5 year warranty. Incredible deal IMHO. Let me know what you decide to do, Dave.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2128
I hope Mrs. Dave likes it better now, as well.
I'm sitting tight for now Dave, the new cdp still has to run in(when I am home), and the little jaunt to Memphis in May will negate too many happy purchases for a while.
That aside from the T-amps I just got, and the Lings on the way to go with them at the computer desk! Hehe.

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 905
Nuck,

Geez, you sound like me on the whole upgrade path, thing. Yes, Mrs. Dave is now very happy with the new Outlaw, she thinks it's the better upgrade over the Adcom amp, although she doesn't get the whole synergy thing.

But, I'm afraid my lovely wife finally put the kibash on further audio expenditures. What she doesn't know is that the pre/pro was the last piece to the HT set-up for awhile anyway. (Although I may look to upgrade the Denon 2200 to a 2900, 2910 or something similar later this year.)

As for the 2 channel, even she agrees the new ICs were a noticeable step up so she thinks new speaker wires are OK if I can get them in the same price range. We'll see what $100 including shipping can get me.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 536
Dave

What were your previous IC's and what did you replace them with?

MR

Silver Member

Post Number: 908
MR

Prior ICs were mid to upper level Monster cables (please don't hit me, OK?)

I upgraded to these:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?cablintr&1144977977

And, I paid a heck of alot more than what these are currently selling for on Audiogon and found them to be well worth the price. So, at that price, somebody please buy these and give them a listen. Good luck, Dave

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 547
Thanks Dave - I won't hit you, I'm presently using the same cables. Darn, if those pommie ones sound as good as they look . . .

Trouble is one pair isn't enough. This can be a darn expensive pastime.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2156
Amen, Pawnbroker, Amen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
MR and Nuck,

Heck, I was fortunate in that I only needed one pair to connect the Fisher integrated and my CDP. So, it was worth the look and listen.

Now, if I were doing it on my HT system, well, that would be a different story.

OK, anyone want to venture opinion on the subject of whether I'd hear the same bang for my buck on a decent pair of speaker cables. I really have a hard time believing that $500 or $2500 of speaker cables will outperform my 14 gauge, bare wire connections.

Your thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2208
Dave, that's been done to the N'th degree.
If you can hear that well, pick and choose.

And I thought you were on the audio$ wagon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 914
Nuck,

Actually, the complete upgrade on the HT system and the new 2 channel system cost me less than $2500 out of pocket, including interconnects and speaker cable.

My wife wanted to get rid of a painting and I sold it on eBay, sold my Denon 3803 and sold a watch I hadn't worn in 5 plus years and put the money to better use.

So, even though I got a bunch of new and vintage stuff, it didn't cost me that much out of pocket because I used Audiogon for several purchases and did well on the pricing on the stuff I bought.

All in all, I'm pretty dang happy with the upgrade in both HT and stereo. The 2 channel tubes have brought the joy of listening to music back into my life. Life is good. Enjoy, Dave.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2304
You too, Dave.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts