Using Digital Optical vs. Stereo for home stereo

Username: Icu400

Post Number: 1
So my situation is that i'm trying to use my mac with digital optical outputs and a stereo output to run a home stereo system for my rather small apartment.

The issue is really 2 parts:

1) What is the difference in quality that I would see between the two sources? I'm going to be playing pretty high quality audio files from my computer, as well as using the system to run the audio off of DVD movies. Any source of degradation would likely be from the speakers...which is the next part:

2) Does anyone have any recomendations for setting up and choosing speakers for a small home theater system? I spent over a year wiring and developing my car's sound system so I know a bit about speakers and recievers, but the most i've ever done for where I live is the little speakers on my desk. I could use a bit of first hand knowledge and recommendations.

Should I go for some sort of self powered speaker system? Should I try selecting a good reciever and then adding speakers as I get the urge, such as a sub and center channel etc?

Those are the sorts of things i'm looking for, as well as some opinions on digital vs. stereo for the sort of application that i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us