New Amp req'd to drive old AR2ax's replacing equally old Rotel RX802

Username: Miriharr

Miri, Sarawak Malaysia

Post Number: 1
Looking for a replacement for my very old Rotel RX802 50wpc receiver. I was very happy with the sound when combined with my AR2ax's - same vintage but now the RX802 pre-amp section has died and unable to be repaired. I've been looking at RA-03, RA-1062 and RC/B 1070/80 combo. My local HiFi shop doesn't have the 1062 in stock so just had a listen to the RA-03 but was disappointed in the base - smeared - rolling in and out rather than crisp with punch - is what I heard of the RA-03 honest? Audition not with my AR's which have a 10" driver rather than the 8" driver of the 3-way's I heard (French I think - a funny Z on the front). I need an amp that won't clip at decent volume levels - fried the tweeters a couple of times. The RA-1062 has received excellent reviews vs RC/B 1070/80 combo review: "for those who rate power over subtlety"? I'm planning a home trial of the RA-03 vs RC/B - any opinions - alternatives? A friend has the MF A5 - mixed reviews and expensive!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4881

Try a used McIntosh MA6200. The sound is about as good as you can get for less than many times its price and the PowerGuard circuitry will not allow the amp to go into hard clipping. Overall the PowerGuard is a much more effective and elegant solution to the problem of overdriving an amplifier than NAD's Soft Clipping feature.

Depending on condition and whether a walnut cabinet is included in the price, a 6200 should run around $700 and will give more years of service (on average) than any other brand of audio equipment.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4886

BTW, old Mac and old AR have been friendly for decades.

Miri, Sarawak Malaysia

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the pointer - might be a bit difficult for me to get hold of any McIntosh gear though. I noted a couple of examples on audio classics but much more than the $700 USD you suggested - $1499 - I assume USD, see: http://www.audioclassics.com/detail.php3?detail=MA6200&nav=cat
That sort of money would get me into the ROTEL's I mentioned - without the clipping protection of course. Any way I can get clipping protection external to the amp - McIntosh P438 Power Output Limiter?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1443
NAD C352 or C372.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4912

Try Audiogon for the Mac. These are the cheapest I see right now.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1127398551
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1125939527

Several of us on the forum purchased 6200's last summer for the $700 price range. The MA5100 and 6100 are similar amps without the PowerGuard circuitry. They are much more reasonably priced if you can keep from driving the amp into clipping. That's a matter of you behaving decently, not the amp.

nout
Unregistered guest
I didn't know you could get a McIntosh MA 6200 for $700!??
This changes my view on audio completely, McIntosh was something I could only dream of...if only I had enough money then...but $700?!!
I'm still happy with my (humble) Marantz PM 7200, but knowing I can get a McIntosh for a ridiculous low price...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1446
That Marantz is a very good unit.

nout
Unregistered guest
Yes, I still love this amp (it's this amp or the NAD C352, for me anyway)
And I don't think I can find a Mac MA 6200 in the Netherlands for $700 (or €700). And shipping it from the US to the Netherlands is not an idea I like...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1449
Doesn't that Marantz have a pretty good phono section as well?

nout
Unregistered guest
Pretty good, a bit bland compared to the CD input, but it could also be my turntable's fault (an old Dual CS 505).

Miri, Sarawak Malaysia

Post Number: 3
Anyone know if McIntosh built the MA6200 for export? All examples I've seen are for the US grid of 110V/60Hz - I'm in Malaysia and moving back to Australia eventually where grid is 220V/50Hz and 240V/50Hz respectively - where to find the MA6200's for 220/240V grids?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4924

There is a McIntosh dealer in either Australia or New Zealand. I found his name for another forum request last year and will try to find where I put the information. Otherwise you can call or email McIntosh yourself, or Audio Classics in New York, to get more information about export items. Most of what Mac made was worldwide distribution, but I can't say for certain regarding any one piece of equipment.

Bronze Member
Username: Harrypalmer

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 22
Hello!Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Harrypalmer

Bellevue, WA

Post Number: 23
My boat sounds betterUpload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums