Can i connect a pre-amp to an integrated?

angstrom
Unregistered guest
i have just bought a musical fidelity cd pre24 which (strangely enough) is a cd player with built-in pre-amp. i intend to use this eventually with a new power amp, but in the meantime is there any problem connecting this to my integrated amp (also musical fidelity) - or will it all go up in smoke? if it is possible, which volume control would i use? all comments appreciated - and my apologies if this is actually a dumbass question!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6882

If the integrated amp has power amp inputs, you can easily use the new unit as a pre amp and use the volume control on the new unit for the master volume.

angstrom
Unregistered guest
the integrated (MF XA200R) is built as separate pre and power amps in one box. it has a preamp output, but no power amp input. the new unit would have to be connected to the cd input, but with a pre-amplified signal. the cd signal would be going through 2 pre-amps before getting to the internal power amp. is that likely to be a problem?

Anonymous

Why not just hook it up and see which configuration sounds better?
I assume that the CD player has digital inputs, so it could be used as an external DAC.
The next question is whether your amp has DACs.
If not, there is a good chance the CD would provide better DACs than some of your components, such as your DVD player.
I doubt the CD has analog inputs, though anything is possible. Therefore, you would still need to use your amp as a preamp for analog inputs, such as a cassette player, or even the DVD, if it has high quality DACs.
Now, if your amp has a direct throughput switch that bypasses the tone controls, any processing of the CD input would be minimal, or even nonexistent, since the input signal is already at preamp levels. So it would probably work fine.
However, look closely on the back. On high quality gear there often is a bridging setup between the preamp and power amp.
Also, you might have a set of in-out jacks for an external processor, such as an equalizer. This could also be used, I believe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us