Stupid question, I'm sure...

Username: Bageena

Tempe, AZ

Post Number: 1
Ok, so I'm new to the world of record players. I have to preface my question with that because I feel like this is probably a dumb question. Last night, I went out and bought a Stanton T.80 from my local Guitar Center. I don't have a home theatre system yet - no reciever, no speakers, de nada. Still, I wanted to give my new toy a whirl and I figured that since I have an option to use RCA jacks on it (there's a phono/line switch on the back), I figured I could probably connect it to an AV channel on my TV and listen to a record that way. So yeah - no. It didn't work. I tried using two different sets of left/right audio jacks on my TV as well as fiddle back and forth with said phono/line switch. I could hear the music via the record player - you know, like, the needle picking up something on the record. very high, very thin, very quiet, and kind of fast. However, I couldn't hear anything through the TV.
So yeah - my question is this; do I just need to be patient because my new toy is only going to work via a reciever or something actually meant to port music through or am I doing something wrong with the player or? I've asked alot of people - I've even gone so far as to call back Guitar Center and they didn't seem to know either. I really need the help because if there's something wrong with the record player, I'd like to take it back and get another one or something.
Thank you. =)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6124

From what you've posted, I'm not exactly certain what is going on with your equipment; but more than likely you need to add a phono pre amp to the system. This question has been asked multiple times on the forum. If you look through the archives, you will find out more about phono pre amps.

Username: Bageena

Tempe, AZ

Post Number: 2
The record player I have <a href="http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_t80.asp">(here)</a> has a line output, so I shouldn't need a preamp as far as I know. That's what I was told when I bought it anyways. It has RCA jacks on the back...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6125

I don't know your table; but what I read doesn't indicate a line level output on your table. The next few steps up in the line indicate they include a phono pre amp with switchable phono/line outputs, but not your table. What you have is a digital output for working with a digital mixer or digital input on a computer; according to the spec sheet.

Maybe Stanton just didn't write their poopsheet well enough; but I would check with your dealer because it looks to me like you still need a phono pre amp.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 649
From looking at the info you provided, I'd have to agree with Jan. For peice of mind, I'd bring it back to the guitar center and exchange it for a new one and try that out. If the new one does the same thing, then it needs a phono pre-amp.

Or you could buy a phono pre-amp from a place like Circuit City and try that out. I've seen turntable stuff in some of them, but not all of them. If you're looking to go as cheap as possible, Circuit City sells a phono pre-amp by ESA for about $30. I have no idea of it's sound or build quality, but it could be a good diagnostic tool. If this remedies the situation, you can keep it or return it if you want something better. If you need a better phono pre-amp, we can help you with that later.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 951
Actually, I was looking on there and noticed that the higher end T120 has "phono or line output" listed. The ST150 is listed as having both phono or line outputs and S/PDIF output too. Is it possible the 80 only has a digital output and no analogue outputs at all? If so, you'd need a digital preamp or D/A convertor, not a phono preamp. Yikes, what a mess...

Not such a stupid question after all. Please let us know what you find out - quite interested really.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 32
My interpretation of the T80 spec sheet is that it has all three: phono , line level and SPDIF. So, are you sure you plugged into the analog RCA jacks and not the digital by mistake (although there would only be 1 digital, not 1 per channel like the analog.....)?

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 33
I was able to download the manual. It keeps causing Adobe to crash on my computer, but in between crashes I confirmed that it has a pair of analog outputs, with a switch to select phono out or line out. It also has a S/PDIF RCA jack. So, if you correctly connected to the analog jacks, and put the switch in 'line out' mode, and correctly selected the input on your TV..... sounds like the turntable is defective.

from the manual:
This is the standard analog output (RCA jacks) which can be connected either to a phono or line input on any DJ
mixer, depending on the setting of the phono / line selector.
Note: Key Lock processing is only available when the LINE output is used.

Upload

Username: French_canadian

Post Number: 1
Hi!

I have the same problem when trying to connect the T.80 to my powerbook via a S/PDIF Cable i bought for $50. The cable is useless at this point since nothing is coming out of my powerbook. The Powerbook's sound setting is at Audio line in as well and nothing is coming out.

So i plugged the T.80 to my TEAC Amplifier, then the Amp to the Powerbook, via RCA cables. This is the only way i am getting sound through the powerbook.

Kinda sucks, coz I bought this specific turntable exclusively for the S/PDIF output.

Has anybody found a way to resolve this, or is the only answer that the T.80 is deffective on all its line of turntables??

Thanks guys!
Martin.

Username: French_canadian

Post Number: 2
Here is the link to the S/PDIF cable i bought:
(the page is kinda long to open, but it will, be patient)

: )

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/RCA-mini-spdif.html#rcabnc

thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us