Sony PS-LX43P Turntable Power Problem

Username: Kyle8675309

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony PS-LX43P that does not have a regular power cord. Instead it has a small 3 hole female connector about the size of a case fan connector. This player was obviously connected to a series in a component setup. Does anyone know of a way I could use the existing connector? I thought I could always open the unit up and connect a regular power cord. I went to the sony website to see if I could find anything but the player is too old. I am new to the board and would appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4344

The player sounds like it came from a rack unit. The best chance is to find the appropriate voltage for the player and then finding a wall wart transformer that will provide the correct voltage. Since you have little to loose by opening the unit up, that would be my first suggestion to try finding the correct voltage.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4345

The third wire on your connection was probably used for auto-on functions and can be dispensed with.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will pick up a wall wart transformer. When I opened the record player I saw a round metal puck that listed 9.12 V DC. I would think that a 9V DC should work. My only worry is what the polarity should be. As far as the plug I thought that I would snip it and splice it into the pre existing record player cord. The wire that enters the record player is a ribbon type cable with 3 wires. The middle wire is cut after it enters the housing. I am assuming that it is the ground one of the wires is connected to a small circuit board labelled +. The other is connected to a connection labelled C101. I assume that C101 is the - connection. Does it sound like I am on the right track? I have never done this before but have built my own computer.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4349

If you think the third wire is a ground and the C101 is a ground, there is probably continuity between those two points. Check with a meter. If you are going to jerry rig the AC cable from the wall wart, it doesn't really matter what the polarity of the plug is since you get to decide what wire goes to what connection.

Post Number: 3
I connected the wires - and + to the wires on the snipped 9VDC wall wart. I used an old cordless phone transformer that I had lying around. It worked like a charm. Thank you for the help. I now have a functioning turntable for the low price of $5.

Paul Monaghan
Unregistered guest
Way to go, I have had my LX43P for many years and have just decided to get it going again. But the stylus is broken, do you have any details on your functioning set as to which stylus I need to buy?

Username: Dtxenioutha

Post Number: 1
Hi Kyle,
recently I bought the same turntable Sony PS-LX43P, and I encountered the exactly same problem.

It would be really appreciated if you could tell me whats the amp output of your "old cordless phone transformer".

Thank you very much in advance.

Unregistered guest
Kyle, I don't understand but about half of what you did but as an electronics technician/engineer for some 40 years you either let the smoke out and don't want anyone to know or have miraculously successfully violated all laws of physics without killing yourself. first of all it sounds like the three wire connector only uses two wires and it is a dc connection so why you want a transformer for anything doesn't make any sense. the supply sounds like a 9 to 12 volt dc requirement for the turntable and since I have the exact hack waiting I'll let out the facts and not the smoke.

First Last Name
Unregistered guest
Hi bytedawg,
Can you please advise me on how to do it properly, I have the same turntable Sony PS-LX43P and I d like to get it working.

Joe_guest
Unregistered guest
Sorry to rake up a long dead post, but I fixed my Sony PS-LX43P today. I followed Kyle's suggestions and pumped 9 volts in from a multi adapter, it works great.

Bytedawg is talking crap - there's no blue smoke to release from this player; I hooked up my power the wrong way round to begin with and all that happens is that it plays backwards.

This is a very easy conversion to do, thanks Kyle for the post and thank you good forum for being the first google entry on the subject.

Happy new year everyone!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us