Will a Receiver handle a 10 Home Speaker Setup

Username: Yiotta

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 5
Hi Gang, hope everyone had a nice christmas :-)

I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5560 which most folks say is a pretty good 6.1 Receiver.

My dilemma is, in addition to my surround system, I just wired the house with 10 speakers that I want to be able to play music through. I did not hook up individual volume controls for the speakers, I just ran 16 gauge wire to the speaker locations from my main AV station.

It looks like I need a different receiver/system to push all these speakers, only a few of which will be nice speakers. I plan on keeping the Yammie for the surround system, but will just buy another receiver for the music to the house speakers.

Plan is for affordable in ceiling speakers for bathroom-1, craft room-1, outside-above/below the deck-4 and then 2 pair of good sound quality speakers: Upstairs Living Room-2 and Downstairs Family Room-2.
That makes a total of 10 speakers, none of which have been purchased yet.

How do you suggest I get all these speakers connected? Should I buy a reciever and then a separate switch box that allow 10 speaker wire pairs out or is there a decent receiver that can handle that many speakers directly? Used or new, doesn't matter to me, and is there a way to control the volume for each of those speakers, or to have some of them be off while others are on?

Please help with suggestions because I am not sure how to work this out.
And while you are at it, a suggestion on good speaker options that won't break the bank (4 have to be weather proof-outdoor).
I hope I get some replies, I really could use some of you audiophiles expertise here.... Thanks

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 6
Anyone willing to help me out here?

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 124
Do you want to be able to play different sources on different speakers at the same time?

Bremerton, WA US

Post Number: 7
Nope, that is not necessary. Just want to be able to pump music to the 10 speakers, can be the same source....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us